• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Make me a demo list.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
NEMBAfest is next week. I need a new bike. I figure at most I can demo about 5 bikes. I can demo Santa Cruz at home, and will try the Hightower, might have another go at the Bronson. If I were to pull the trigger on a bike right this minute, I think I'd get Evil's The Following. That and the Reckoning will be two of the bikes on my list. Not gonna bother with YT since they will not be available until August and I want a bike NOW.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So ... you're looking for a 29er trail bike, maybe on the burlier side?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
After Ron's post, you're gonna have to try the (a) Yeti, I guess.

Pivot - the new one you mentioned the other day. Right?

Not sure what your preferences are, but if you are interested in something with super-sharp handling and super pick-up, Cannondale Habit. Very different feel from all the others mentioned.

Sleeper from last year's nemba fest, for me? Rocky Mountain Instinct.

And you know I like the Intense Primer.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Robot Bike Co R130.

(OK, maybe Pivot 5.5 and Switchblade, Evil Following and Calling, supposedly the Wreckoning climbs way better than you'd expect and you like 'enduro' feel. How about a Transition? Rocky Mountain Slayer? Trek Slash? Specialized w Ohlins, Canfield Bros Riot/ Tior)

Seriously, just get a Robot bike Co, I promise it will be AWESOME. Yetis are for poor people.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Trek Fuel EX or Slash (Monster Truck)

Evil Following

Ibis Ripley

Yeti SB 4.5 or 5.5 (Monster Truck, again)

Intense Rekluse

Pivot 429 Trail or Switchblade (both hideously ugly to my eye)

Spot Rollik

Alchemy Arktos 29er (pretty sure one is coming)

Hey, you didn't ask for a "short list".

And, @Mike Thomas, Robot just lowered their prices. Now they're just normal stuff for commoners!

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
As I was driving home from riding some DH yesterday, I was thinking about what I want in a bike. For me, I want to ride without ever touching foot down. I want to clean everything and always will go for the technical line when I have the choice. So I guess unflappable traction is #1. It needs to be efficient enough that I am able to provide the power when it is needed and am not dragging my tongue on the front tire at the wrong moment. I'd like to be able to ride up the hill more than once! I want it to be as fun as my DH bike on the downs, and able to get loose when I want it to. I want to be able to break traction and slide my bike, I don't want it so glued down that when I exceed traction, all I can do is crash. I've been riding an Intense Carbine which is somewhere around 160mm travel front and rear, maybe 150 rear, 160 front. I have a Cane Creek DBA and a BOS Deville so that I can adjust everything. It's weird deciding what is the "right" amount of travel. Should a 29er really have less travel than it's 650B cousin? Why? 160 sounds like soon much on a 29er, but totally normal for a 650B.

I'm trying the Hightower today. 2.8" Minions, XTR Di2, etc., but I'm skeptical of it. We will see.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@epic

couple of notes: I was at the Intense demo, 3 different riders didn't like the Recluse due to having TOO short of CS's. the frame in a bit unbalanced unless you ride in a really aggressive posture all of the time.

So I can save you a ton of time: go right to Yeti grab a SB5.5, demo and go home. Its that good. I had a nice chat this AM with a Yeti CSR who rides my trails, the 5.5 is exactly what you are looking for. I wont be buying it for reasons you don't prioritize: its not super nimble on tight switchbacks and similar but it absolutely excels at everything else.

You might want to try a SB5 now that the frame geo has changed for 2017: its now 66.5 HT and a 73.5 ST with 127 (metric)/150 fork. According to the Yeti dude, this is the bike I want.

Yeti 4.5- this is intended to be their more XC-focused bike. Its not changing (although he wouldn't confirm this) much as if you want plush- go 5.5, if you want quick, nimble and still fairly plush, go SB5 (BTW- its confirmed, you can fit a actual 2.6 tire in the rear. which I will do; thinking rekon 2.8/2.8

So @UGASkiDawg , sorry to say, I seriously doubt the 4.5 will be modified to take a wider tire. It will take a 2.4 though. that's pretty good and if you set the sag to 33% or so, it might be a little more plush but it will still ride a bit firmer and more xc-ish

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
It will be interesting to see what you think of the b+ Hightower, obviously Paul's build is sick... if you don't like that, you probably aren't a plus bike guy and should start looking at 29". I assumed you would settle on a 'proper' 27.5 bike, the 29" inerst is a bit of a surprise, but do not think you are off base.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Mike I figure I should just skip 27.5 and go all the way in one shot.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
... you might not be any fun to ride with on a modern 29er, you are fast enough. You are also more 'racer' than 'playful' so I honestly think a 29er plays to your strength even more. You will be very fast.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I don't think I'm a plus bike guy. The Hightower was monumentally slow climbing on the first climb my daughter was buzzing my back tire then went around and just disappeared. She said it felt great to finally beat me to the top, so she liked it. I don't know how much of it was the tires slowing me down and how much may have been suspension kinematics. They have redesigned VPP to be more linear and not have the rising then falling rate that used to define it. I think that is what gave my Carbine it's snappy pedaling. Could also be light 26" wheels w 2.3" tires too though. Not to mention moment of inertia. OK, so across the trail it was OK, and it did make it easy to cross some roots and rock as we pedaled across to the first downhill. We finally reached the first downhill, a machine built flow trail. It felt OK here, hard to know for sure if I was faster or not, but the first thing I noticed is the 2.8 tires buzzing the crap out of my calfs when turning. I didn't like landing doubles on the big balloon tires. It wasn't bad, but it didn't wow me. I remember the Bronson wowing me on the downhills. Next climb was a handbuilt trail w loads of switchbacks, I was slow here too, but any tech parts (there were a few) were easy. On both climbs, I could have downshifted like 5 gears, but I'd still be out there climbing now. If I was the kind of rider who wanted to just casually pedal up and then smoke a bowl before descending, maybe this would be my kind of bike. From here, we climbed up into an older, very rooty singletrack. I'm about 50/50 on cleaning the first pitch. On this bike I'd be 100% I'm sure, but it's a grunt to power this thing. At this point I was thinking that would really make plus biking work for me is a Bosch motor and a lithium-ion battery. As this trail leveled out, I just rode away from my daughter like nothing. I usually do that anyway on my skinny tired 26" bike though. It was weird, in this section it almost felt like I was riding on snow instead of dirt. Just sort of disconnected. Hard to say if this bike was really good here, or if it was just much less of a handicap. Let's say it was good. From here there is an "interesting" but short downhill. The fat tires were good, but overall, I didn't love it here either. Line choice was not as important as on skinny tires, but it was a little harder to chose line anyway. The suspension actually felt a little harsh here. Pike front Monarch RCT3 rear. If it were mine, I'd start by pulling out whatever tokens or spacers were in the rear shock. My sag was correct but I should have been using more travel. Made me miss my BOS/Cane Creek suspension. One more bit of old trail, Aryn's Loop. I rode "the clit" a tech feature more easily than I ever have before, but the bike was a handful on the really tight turns. Final descent was a combo of handbill and manmade. I think the bike was very fast here although the fat tires were both a blessing and a curse. Again, they let you take different lines in traction limited places, but on really smooth blue groove type dirt they don't grip much at all. I think there is too little pressure per square inch of knob for them to grab the ground. The bike was fast and easy, but not blinding like the Bronson.

I've always felt skeptical about the wide tire/ wide rim thing. World Cup downhillers do just fine on 2.4" tires and 23mm rims. Some have gone wider now, but certainly not to the crazy extent that we see being pushed in consumer bikes. I think one of the things that the narrower rim does is it lets you feel where you are on the traction circle. You can feel the sidewall start to give when you are nearing the limit. I love hearing the rrrrrip sound of tires that are almost ready to peel off the rim.

I'm gonna try the Bronson again tomorrow and see if I like it more than last time. It was fun, but also a bit boring, I felt like I couldn't power it hard enough to keep it fun.

Last edited:
TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
This bike had WTB Scrapers. Not sure how wide, but damn wide. Onyx hubs are really cool, btw, dead silent.

Oh yeah, ergonomics, the Di2 was weird, I don't know why they didn't copy the ergo dynamics of the regular shifter, but I had so many missed shifts. Di2 is really cool, but again, not for me. The dropper had the new Reverb lever which was cool, I'd get that if I can run it closer to the grip than Paul had it.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I just looked it up, it is either 40mm or 45mm internal.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Legendary tubeless technology has now been hand delivered to the plus-sized market. Why have a 2.8+ inch tire if you can’t experience a lovely tubeless ride? The Scraper rim features a TCS inner rim profile, 4D angled drilling, and our light but stiff WT69 Alloy all while still allowing for popular and available J-bend spokes. Yep, non-proprietary spokes but a high tech rim. The Scraper i40 is designed for 2.8” tires while the i45 is optimized for 3.0” tires. Experience TCS euphoria with our Scraper rim and understand what this plus-sized grinning is all about.

Here's the marketing blurb. I am still not sure if the measurements are Internal or external I would agree, its probably internal. I dont know, 35 seems plenty wide. After riding a bunch of different tires over the past 2 weeks, I would say the max width (for me) is 2.6 and min would be 2,4. But hey, Im a hack. I do think the wider rims offered a superior feel and added balance and just a more solid footprint. the 30's I rode were also good and were paired to 2.35-2.5 tires (not measured)

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I just weighed the Hightower. It is a hair under 31 lbs. I guess in this world that is "light". I'd rather be in mid twenties.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
how is it spec'd? Carbon hoops, carbons bar/stem? DHF/R? I know people love that tire but if you want to cut a quick ~ pound, go with a rekon NN, or Bonti x4

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
@epic

couple of notes: I was at the Intense demo, 3 different riders didn't like the Recluse due to having TOO short of CS's. the frame in a bit unbalanced unless you ride in a really aggressive posture all of the time.

So I can save you a ton of time: go right to Yeti grab a SB5.5, demo and go home. Its that good. I had a nice chat this AM with a Yeti CSR who rides my trails, the 5.5 is exactly what you are looking for. I wont be buying it for reasons you don't prioritize: its not super nimble on tight switchbacks and similar but it absolutely excels at everything else.

You might want to try a SB5 now that the frame geo has changed for 2017: its now 66.5 HT and a 73.5 ST with 127 (metric)/150 fork. According to the Yeti dude, this is the bike I want.

Yeti 4.5- this is intended to be their more XC-focused bike. Its not changing (although he wouldn't confirm this) much as if you want plush- go 5.5, if you want quick, nimble and still fairly plush, go SB5 (BTW- its confirmed, you can fit a actual 2.6 tire in the rear. which I will do; thinking rekon 2.8/2.8

So @UGASkiDawg , sorry to say, I seriously doubt the 4.5 will be modified to take a wider tire. It will take a 2.4 though. that's pretty good and if you set the sag to 33% or so, it might be a little more plush but it will still ride a bit firmer and more xc-ish

I'm going to demo a 5 but I have no need for a enduro bike with a 160 36 fork. I have a 6 inch travel bike now and no matter how much sag I set, I never use all the travel and I never will. I'm one of those weirdo's who likes the up better than the down (not that I don't like the down). I'm not aggressive at all and while I'm not against getting more aggressive I have no burning desire to do so. I'd still be on a hardtail if my back didn't complain so much after rougher rides. I might even go the ASR route.

Sponsor

Staff online