• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Looking for some women’s ski advice…

k2rider

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’m in the market for a new pair of skis for my wife. She’s been skiing 40 years and is an advanced skier on groomers but her ability and comfort level (mostly mental) drops is crud and off piste type terrain. I started bringing her into wider spaced trees last season and she is doing pretty well.
Fast forward to this season and we’ve been lucky enough to have some sort of fresh snow every day so far. This week at Tahoe, I had her demo a couple of wider skis and she immediately loved them. Her confidence and comfort level shot wayyyyy up off piste. She’s no pro but held her own in the tighter trees on the backside of Northstar and killed it coming down the face in crud at Kirkwood.
The hard part is finding demo skis in stock in her size range so the reality is we’re not going to be able to demo everything we’d like to. So far, she’s tried the Nordica Unleashed 98 (156cm), Blizzard Sheeva 10 (162cm) and we have the Rossignol Rallybird 104 (163cm) for tomorrow.
I really want some user feedback on the Salomon QST 106 & Nordica Santa Ana 104 Free. I see a few women seem to be sizing up on the QST but don’t want to regret that later. The Santa Ana line seems to get universal praise online but so do the Sheeva’s but my wife preferred the Unleashed models more….she was on the Sheeva at Kirkwood and I’ve never seen her look better on tough terrain.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife has been loving her quiver of Black Pearl 88s and Sheeva 10s for a long time, to the point that she demanded a new pair of Black Pearls last season. Zero interest in considering anything else.

No experience in this household with the Santa Anna line.

Headed your way for the second half of April. Let's try and connect for a ride and a beer!

my07mcx2

Getting off the lift
Skier
interested in these replies. Wife really likes her Unleashed 98's but misses her Camox. Camox was her fun but handled chop horrible. We leave for Copper on Saturday and she wants to demo the Sheeva 10 and the Rallybird 102.

Mel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did a few demo runs on the Stella 106, which is the same as the QST 106 but with a different top sheet - I usually ski a 165-168 ski (168cm tall) and tried them in a 173. Personally, I liked the ski but if I were going to buy one would go for the 165. I found the 173 a little tougher to turn in soft bumps, and if she’s looking for wider/more stable but still maneuverable in trees and bumps she might be fine with her usual length range. I bought the Rustler 9 in a 168 (exact same ski as the Sheeva 9 but I liked the orange better) and it’s an excellent ski. I haven’t been on the 10.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
Santa Ana's are definitely worth trying for that description imo. She might also like Moments – I've only been on their Hot Mess line, but the loose tip/tail + super stable underfoot has been really fun for crud and bumps.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
The hard part is finding demo skis in stock in her size range so the reality is we’re not going to be able to demo everything we’d like to. So far, she’s tried the Nordica Unleashed 98 (156cm), Blizzard Sheeva 10 (162cm) and we have the Rossignol Rallybird 104 (163cm) for tomorrow.
That length shouldn't be too difficult to find. (I'm in that range and didn't have too hard a time finding demo's even in unisex models) Maybe try some of the independent shops off the mountain?

Also, not sure your wife's height/weight. I went up both in width and length for my off-piste plank and never look back. Perhaps your wife should demo something longer than her groomer skis too?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

TS
k2rider

k2rider

Getting on the lift
Skier
That length shouldn't be too difficult to find. (I'm in that range and didn't have too hard a time finding demo's even in unisex models) Maybe try some of the independent shops off the mountain?

Also, not sure your wife's height/weight. I went up both in width and length for my off-piste plank and never look back. Perhaps your wife should demo something longer than her groomer skis too?
She is 5-1 and 135 lbs. Every online chart suggests she go I the mid 150 range, 2 of the demos have been 162 and 163. She said she was satisfied with them all. Trust me, we've been all over SLT and pickens are slim in the mid 150's and no QST 106 or Santa Ana 98 or 104 in anything close to a size she needs.

TS
k2rider

k2rider

Getting on the lift
Skier

Looking to go wife but they are sold anyways....

TS
k2rider

k2rider

Getting on the lift
Skier
My wife has been loving her quiver of Black Pearl 88s and Sheeva 10s for a long time, to the point that she demanded a new pair of Black Pearls last season. Zero interest in considering anything else.

Headed your way for the second half of April. Let's try and connect for a ride and a beer!

I thought my wife looked the best she's ever skied on the Sheeva 10 the other day on steep crud at Kirkwood but she liked the Unleashed model better.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m in the market for a new pair of skis for my wife. She’s been skiing 40 years and is an advanced skier on groomers but her ability and comfort level (mostly mental) drops is crud and off piste type terrain. I started bringing her into wider spaced trees last season and she is doing pretty well.
Fast forward to this season and we’ve been lucky enough to have some sort of fresh snow every day so far. This week at Tahoe, I had her demo a couple of wider skis and she immediately loved them. Her confidence and comfort level shot wayyyyy up off piste. She’s no pro but held her own in the tighter trees on the backside of Northstar and killed it coming down the face in crud at Kirkwood.
I really want some user feedback on the Salomon QST 106 & Nordica Santa Ana 104 Free. I see a few women seem to be sizing up on the QST but don’t want to regret that later. The Santa Ana line seems to get universal praise online but so do the Sheeva’s but my wife preferred the Unleashed models more….she was on the Sheeva at Kirkwood and I’ve never seen her look better on tough terrain.
I'm a firm believer that when you strike oil you stop drilling. IF she looked amazign on the Sheeva at Kirkwood and she loved it....

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just be aware the sheeva (as well as rustler) is significantly changed this year, so doublecheck if you were skiing last gen sheeva or the current one.
It should be obvious, the topsheet is way different

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
She is 5-1 and 135 lbs. Every online chart suggests she go I the mid 150 range, 2 of the demos have been 162 and 163. She said she was satisfied with them all. Trust me, we've been all over SLT and pickens are slim in the mid 150's and no QST 106 or Santa Ana 98 or 104 in anything close to a size she needs.
I'm 5'2" 135 lbs and I ski everything in high 150 (carvers) to mid 160 (all mountain). On occasion, I've even managed a low 170 ski enough to know if I like it or not (in powder I like high 160 - low 170 but I suck in powder). Resist the urge to go too short for an all mountain ski. In the chop, or fresh, a little extra length helps. I actually strongly disagree with the mid 150s unless she's an early intermediate. She liked the 162/163 which I find to be the sweet spot for me. Trust what she liked and let her keep demoing that length until she finds the one that makes her go wheeeeee all the way home! Charts are usually wrong when it comes to women.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mid to upper 150s are a very popular length and need to be reserved in advance. I've had trouble walking in and getting that length, while the 140-something and 160-something are always in. I agree with @Pat AKA mustski on demoing longer.

TS
k2rider

k2rider

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm 5'2" 135 lbs and I ski everything in high 150 (carvers) to mid 160 (all mountain). On occasion, I've even managed a low 170 ski enough to know if I like it or not (in powder I like high 160 - low 170 but I suck in powder). Resist the urge to go too short for an all mountain ski. In the chop, or fresh, a little extra length helps. I actually strongly disagree with the mid 150s unless she's an early intermediate. She liked the 162/163 which I find to be the sweet spot for me. Trust what she liked and let her keep demoing that length until she finds the one that makes her go wheeeeee all the way home! Charts are usually wrong when it comes to women.
Thanks, we finally found some Sheeva 9’s in an appropriate size but after today, my wife said she wanted to get the 2024 Nordica Unleashed 98’s which is the ski she like the best. She did actually size up and get the 162’s.

TS
k2rider

k2rider

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm a firm believer that when you strike oil you stop drilling. IF she looked amazign on the Sheeva at Kirkwood and she loved it....
She liked it but not as much as the Unleashed 98 so she bought some tonight. Thanks for the input.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, we finally found some Sheeva 9’s in an appropriate size but after today, my wife said she wanted to get the 2024 Nordica Unleashed 98’s which is the ski she like the best. She did actually size up and get the 162’s.
She is going to be much happier on the longer ski.

TS
k2rider

k2rider

Getting on the lift
Skier

Hit me up with a DM to remind me. I’m not on here daily and SHOULD be around. I’m in Tucson in early April and off to the BVI May 1st.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
She liked it but not as much as the Unleashed 98 so she bought some tonight. Thanks for the input.
YES!!!! That's what I'm talking about!!

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online