• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long-Term Test: 2017 Volkswagen Alltrack S

Spooky

Getting off the lift
Skier
Snow and roads in Arizona don't usually mix but the 4MOTION on the Alltrack performed well on an early morning mission up to Snowbowl. Although Bill is 100% on the mark that traction is only as good as the tires can give, the system here makes sure that you can get that pretty well and exceeded my expectations.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Anyone get a six speed yet? I see VW has it now as an option on the "build your own" tool on the web.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anyone get a six speed yet? I see VW has it now as an option on the "build your own" tool on the web.
And they have hit the ground too. @Andy Mink sent me the following image from our local dealer:

imagejpeg_0-1.jpg

While i really like the DSG, there are times I like the DSG, especially in traffic.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just a warning to Alltrack buyers. The email from [email protected] with a survey is one of the longest surveys I've ever filled in. Took me over an hour. So, be forewarned. It got answered as opposed to abandoned because it's raining out.
I got the survey and yes it takes a while. I hope they take my comments to heart. Overall, I think they really nailed it with the Alltrack. There are a few things I would change, but not much.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
2018 Changes....

2018 Golf Alltrack

The fun-to-drive and rugged Golf Alltrack features a powerful, yet fuel-efficient, 1.8-liter TSI turbocharged and direct-injected four-cylinder engine that makes 170 horsepower and 199 pound-feet of torque. For exceptional performance on a variety of road conditions, the Golf Alltrack offers standard 4Motion® all-wheel drive, Hill Descent Control, and increased ground clearance over the Golf SportWagen. A six-speed DSG remains for all trims, along with the choice of a six-speed manual for S and SE trims.

Updates for the 2018 Golf Alltrack S include LED taillights; LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs); a 6.5-inch touchscreen for the Composition Color infotainment system; alarm prep; and automatic headlights with rain sensor. Other existing standard features include 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels; fog lights; Car-Net App-Connect; V-tex leatherette seating surfaces with power recline (for front passengers); ambient interior lighting; and a leather-wrapped multifunction steering wheel.

The 2018 Golf Alltrack SE builds on the S trim with a new 8-inch display for the Composition Media system as well as standard Front Assist. The model is loaded with attractive existing features including a panoramic sunroof; Car-Net Security & Service with a six-month trial; Voice Control; and SiriusXM Satellite Radio with a three-month trial.

The 2018 Golf Alltrack SEL model adds to the SE trim with a new 8-inch touchscreen for the Discover Media navigation system and ACC. Standard premium equipment carried over from the previous model includes 18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels; the Fender® Premium Audio System; Car-Net Guide & Inform with a three-month trial; Climatronic; 12-way power driver’s seat; and front comfort sport seats. An optional Driver Assistance and Lighting Package offers Lane Assist; Park Distance Control; Park Assist; Light Assist; and LED headlights.

IN BOLD. I think this should be standard on EVERY car, I have said for a long time, "if your wipers are on..your lights should be on." I guess rain sensor headlights are one way to do it.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
IN BOLD. I think this should be standard on EVERY car, I have said for a long time, "if your wipers are on..your lights should be on." I guess rain sensor headlights are one way to do it.

Already the law in Mass. Not that that makes anyone do it ...

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Was the law on New Jersey, too. It used to be automatic with me, now with the Alltrack, I've got Automatic selected, but have no idea at any given moment what's on. I wish the lights about what is on would appear on the dash.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Congratulations on the new VW. I 've been a VW owner all my life and always loved the cars.
The Piëch era is gone but they still make great cars.
The DSG transmission has been pretty good in my R32, which has 117000 miles. the only things that was wrong with it was the mechatronichs unit and it was fixed under warranty. I'm pretty sure they remedied that issue a few years back.
The only extra maintenance is the oil change and filter change for the transmission at 40k miles.
Also, if anybody needs the VCDS/ Ross Tech cable to make adjustments let me know. I'm in Reno.
Lets look to get together too, there are a few things I want to change.

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
I have been pretty amazed how good this has been in the snow. I have had about 15 Subarus, Audis and Volvo XC's and this car is about the best I have driven in the snow. I have had the Alltrack in all types of snow in the past week from 15" of wet snow to the same snow packed down to light fluffy pow pow and it handled it all great, better than I even hoped for. I will not say the Alltrack can take all the credit, the Blizzard WS-70's also were intregal in the performance. The Off Road Mode works very well sending 50% of the power to the rear making the Alltrack more planted in the mixed conditions.

Just like Barking Bear, as usual Phil comes through. GREAT review. I agree on the brown interior. I would get this with the darker Night Blue exterior. AND you just straightened me out with my unfamiliarity of Ground Clearance. Alltrack has 6.9" yet you drove in 15" of wet snow. Awesome! I am a sunroof guy, especially when driving along the beach and inlets. I will get it, but I wish they would offer a normal sized sunroof, not the huge panoramic monsters. I see most manufacturers do this also. Oh well. Thanks for the review Phil!!!! As far as the ski pass-though, never used it in my Jetta, but I assume I won't need the ski bag for it? Just put the skis in it?

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
Phil,
Does the Alltrack come with a rear cargo cover? As most crossovers and SUVs?
Hmmmm, I wonder... my brother and friend installed lift kits in their Jeeps for off roading. I wonder if there is one for the Golf? Not talking about off road, but maybe adding an inch or two, for a higher seating. My buddy has the old Audi Allroad, with the air suspension to go up and down. What a more comfortable seating, and getting in and out, when raised.
Thanks again,
Ed

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Phil,
Does the Alltrack come with a rear cargo cover? As most crossovers and SUVs?
Hmmmm, I wonder... my brother and friend installed lift kits in their Jeeps for off roading. I wonder if there is one for the Golf? Not talking about off road, but maybe adding an inch or two, for a higher seating. My buddy has the old Audi Allroad, with the air suspension to go up and down. What a more comfortable seating, and getting in and out, when raised.
Thanks again,
Ed

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/05/20/vw-builds-tribute-golf-country-customs-sowo-car-show/

Sponsor

Staff online