• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long-Term Test: 2017 Volkswagen Alltrack S

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
K,thx @johnnyvw . We have similar situation where the car will be on dry or plowed roads more often,saw that tire on TR & was curious about it. How is that tire working out for you guys?

Compared to the standard tire, it's just as quiet and rides a tad smoother, which I attribute to the deeper tread. So far we have only had a small amount of snow around here (it's been in the 40's and 50's and rainy,,,not very conducive to skiing unfortunately). The pattern the tire makes in the snow looks very aggressive, so I think it will perform quite nicely once we get some decent snow (for comparison, I have Conti Winter extreme contacts on my car, and the pattern in snow is visually less aggressive). My wife commutes 100 miles RT each day, and for that it is working well. Only time will tell how it compares to the Michelin X-ice and Blizzaks her previous cars have had as far as tire wear is concerned. For us, it's the right choice. If I lived were Sibhusky does, it would have made the same choice she did. Horses for courses...

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I didn't plan on getting the WS70s but for the price, I couldn't pass them up adn quite frankly I have been ecstatic with them. We will see what is available in two years when replace them

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
If you go to Tire Rack and select "Winter / Snow Tire & Wheel Package" for the All-Track it shows you this: "Our team of experts has built a Winter / Snow Tire & Wheel Package specifically for your vehicle." 16" Package $606.44
Tires: Michelin X-Ice Xi3
Wheels: New Steel Wheel

...and there are plenty of tire choices in the 16in size.

It is the same thing with the Subaru Forester except they show alum wheels and the Blizzaks:
16" Package $841.80
Tires: Bridgestone Blizzak WS80
Wheels: Sport Edition A14

C-Ski

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
@ Sibhusky,neither did I,upon researching snow tires a few years ago ,found out it was less expensive & better to have a taller & thinner snow tire in deeper snow conditions. Usually thinner tires come with taller sidewalls which go thru snow with less resistance. I am sure that they give up some grip on dry roads, but it is a trade off performance wise for the winter. The overall diameter of the tire+smaller wheel should be similar, (within certain parameters ) of the original tire + wheel diameter. If you get the same size tire & wheel, that is fine & actually recommended in the manual. If you change tire sizes ,you want to be within certain guidelines,from what I have been told. I hope that helps. "NICE RIDE" by the way, & hope you enjoy the Alltrack SEL. My wife is just getting used to hers & loves it so far. Thx for your response.

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
Yes, it has Hill Descent, part of Off Road mode. In addition to affecting traction control, Hill Descent basically does all the braking and adjusting of which wheel does what. I use it daily. I just point the car downhill, take my feet off the pedals and let the car handle it.

Jump to about 1:50 in this video:

FWIW, my '16 Forester XT (Turbo) has the same feature; only it's called "X-Mode with Hill Decent". Does the same thing - it's a little uncanny. Don't know if other Subie models have the same function available.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow..an actual manual transmission on the ground...
16387059_10100160001747427_281558784962218744_n.jpg

@Sibhusky ..your wait has ended! ;)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Plus there's that guy on Facebook who got a grey one. Or is that the same car?
Could be. The image I got was from one that landed at a dealer, obviously a SE (Push Button Start). I am jealous...but I am not. I am really digging the DSG.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
On our first long road trip, we are getting 32MPG, I would say that is damn good considering that we have a 21Cu Ft Yakima on, we are running snow tires and are crising along at 80MPH.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's damn good at 80mph with that giant wind dam on the roof.
That was from Reno to Winnemucca, by hte time we for through into the mountains and the Ruby's and into SLC, it was about 28. Still pretty good considering how much wind we were pushing.

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
That was from Reno to Winnemucca, by hte time we for through into the mountains and the Ruby's and into SLC, it was about 28. Still pretty good considering how much wind we were pushing.

yeah, that's a pretty long easy stretch to Winny. Last year going to SB end of march, I got 28/29 in the Forester Turbo there and back; but I was cruz'n 85/90 all the way with no big box.

ps: raining like hell here all day today and more expected Thursday, Hope you get snow higher up.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online