• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long-Term Test: 2017 Volkswagen Alltrack S

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't discount the fact that LOTS of people have no idea how to defeat their traction control, which can make it impossible to get through/over a big berm of snow.

It's funny how different systems are "coded" so differently. Our AWD Sienna needs the system turned off for really deep snow on uphills but the Volvo XC60 just seems to figure it out (even though it only has all season tires).

I think Toyota might still be gunshy after the unintended acceleration issue.

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
Guys, the tire OD is the same as the factory OEM setup. This is the whole point of 'minus' sizing. Do you homework before you make uninformed responses. The tire height grows as the rim size goes down. I also love the term 'modern car' as it we're talking about something made 50 years ago...

Of course the tire has the same OD, I'm not stupid and I use to race sports cars (a long time a go), so know something about performance and handling.

But you specifically mentioned that you went to a narrow, "taller" tire. So for example, from a 245x50 19 to a 225x75 16. This skinnier, more sidewall height tire will DEFINITELY affect the driving dynamics of the car especially in emergency handling conditions. If you don't think so, then why do ALL cars modified for racing/handling events ALWAYS use larger tires (if rules permit if)? Because you have more traction/performance with them. The inverse is true, downsize the tire and you loose handling/performance capabilities.

I believe you mentioned in a past post that you drive some 25 year old cars - that was my reference to "modern" cars.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
By coining this Golf wagon the "Alltrack", I assume they are referring to all conditions which included all weather and with the torrential rains we are getting here right now in Tahoe, we got to experience how the Alltrck handles that. Between last night and what we are getting right now has been inches of rain which has lead to much standing water. If you have driven from Reno to Truckee and back on Rt 80 you know how bad the right lane is for water channels, the lane is not far from looking like a W with the two channels of standing water that in some cases over an inch deep. The Alltrack armed with the Blizzak WS 70's didn't hydroplane at all and the combination jsut instilled confidence even at above posted speeds.

Yes, while I am smitten with the car there are a few downsides. The tank is over a gallon less than the TDI, so to add the insult of less fuel economy of less MPG, the smaller tank also decreases the range. This is small but the USB adaptor is in the center cubby, it would be nice to be able to close the cubby and still be attached the USB, all it needs is a small cut out for the wire to pass through. While there is some programability, it would be nice to do more w/o needed an outbaord device.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Of course the tire has the same OD, I'm not stupid and I use to race sports cars (a long time a go), so know something about performance and handling.

But you specifically mentioned that you went to a narrow, "taller" tire. So for example, from a 245x50 19 to a 225x75 16. This skinnier, more sidewall height tire will DEFINITELY affect the driving dynamics of the car especially in emergency handling conditions. If you don't think so, then why do ALL cars modified for racing/handling events ALWAYS use larger tires (if rules permit if)? Because you have more traction/performance with them. The inverse is true, downsize the tire and you loose handling/performance capabilities.

I believe you mentioned in a past post that you drive some 25 year old cars - that was my reference to "modern" cars.

Charlie, car limits on cold pavement are lower to start with. From there add snow, ice, slush and a road full of folks improperly equipped for the conditions and one had better be driving at a speed and manner that can deal with all that. This is not racing. And under these conditions and speeds the cars dynamics are just fine. In fact way better than might be imagined. For road use, year round the current fashion trend for ever lager wheels is just that. The road surfaces I drive on range from adequate to horrible including a fair bit of dirt. Wheels over 17" or aspect ratios lower than 45 work poorly for me. If you're going out and doing summer track days on a smooth surface track, have at it.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The only thing that could make me like the VW Golf Alltrack more is if it came with a waffle iron that makes these.
15936346_10158127742725790_8600168633040020661_o.jpg

Now I'm hungry for waffles.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anyone watch the Golden Globes? I didn't see the whole thing, but every commercial break while I was watching had an Alltrack ad.
I recorded it...don't tell me who won....[I hope] Ryan Gosling/La La Land...Ryan Gosling/La La Land...Ryan Gosling/La La Land...Ryan Gosling/La La Land...Ryan Gosling/La La Land...[/I hope] :duck:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_0128.JPG

Rear bumper cover on.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been following that product on VWVortex and it looks like fun. The car is quick enough for us already.

But Phil, it says it will allow you to utilize left foot braking ON TRACK DAYS.

What more could you ask for?! :roflmao:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Phil how good has been the 4Motion System? I mean with all the snow in Tahoe you must have put it through the wringer.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil how good has been the 4Motion System? I mean with all the snow in Tahoe you must have put it through the wringer.

I have been pretty amazed how good this has been in the snow. I have had about 15 Subarus, Audis and Volvo XC's and this car is about the best I have driven in the snow. I have had the Alltrack in all types of snow in the past week from 15" of wet snow to the same snow packed down to light fluffy pow pow and it handled it all great, better than I even hoped for. I will not say the Alltrack can take all the credit, the Blizzard WS-70's also were intregal in the performance. The Off Road Mode works very well sending 50% of the power to the rear making the Alltrack more planted in the mixed conditions.

James

Out There
Instructor
Does it have hill descent and if so what does it do exactly?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Yes, it has Hill Descent, part of Off Road mode. In addition to affecting traction control, Hill Descent basically does all the braking and adjusting of which wheel does what. I use it daily. I just point the car downhill, take my feet off the pedals and let the car handle it.

Jump to about 1:50 in this video:

Last edited: