• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long-Term Test: 2017 Volkswagen Alltrack S

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
VW is a love/hate relationship for me. I also am an aggrieved party to the TDI scandal. Yet....I just bought a very-lightly used 2016 GTI. I cannot imagine a better, more buttoned-down, solid car for the money I paid.

Why is it that only VW can make this kind of car for this kind of money?????

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
VW is a love/hate relationship for me. I also am an aggrieved party to the TDI scandal. Yet....I just bought a very-lightly used 2016 GTI. I cannot imagine a better, more buttoned-down, solid car for the money I paid.

Why is it that only VW can make this kind of car for this kind of money?????

I found the newer GTI's just to refined for my taste, not like the A1 and A2's. Plus there isn't a lot of room in back even with the seats done (or ripped out).

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
Thats great mileage for an XT..I recall the last two generations were hard pressed to get more than 22-23 for MPG. This is also a LPT (Low Pressure Turbo) and the power is nice and linear.

Yes, the last two gens were the old 2.5 lt engines with turbos added on, not optimal. The current new gen is a 2.0 lt specifically designed for turbos, much more efficient.and NO turbo lag.

tch

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I found the newer GTI's just to refined for my taste, not like the A1 and A2's. Plus there isn't a lot of room in back even with the seats done (or ripped out).
Well.... too refined isn't a problem for me. I'm not a fan of raw. And I can get my180cm skis or my road bike in the back w/o taking off the wheel, so space isn't a problem.

And...while I'm at it, I'd add this: I wanted a manual, but then drove the DSG. You give up 20% of the feeling of involvement (no clutch pedal and no tactile sense of gear) for 100% of the convenience of an automatic when you want it. I drive 50% shift mode using the paddles and 50% auto mode and I LOVE the flexibility.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And...while I'm at it, I'd add this: I wanted a manual, but then drove the DSG. You give up 20% of the feeling of involvement (no clutch pedal and no tactile sense of gear) for 100% of the convenience of an automatic when you want it. I drive 50% shift mode using the paddles and 50% auto mode and I LOVE the flexibility.
I agree with you, with the short time I have driven the car, I am begrudgingly sold on the DSG. I like the ability to "blip" downshift when I need it..actually more than pressing the clutch then downshifting. It will stay in gear till red line too.

Minuses: (I know I wasn't going to harp on it...int eh TDI, after 100 miles, the fuel gage bearly moved, in this car, it is at 3/4 tank. I will be lucky to get 350 miles from a tank..down from 500 plus on the JSW. Average MPG so far is 27.5.

tch

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, that's too bad. I'm getting 30+ in the GTI even when I drive "spiritedly" and got 36 on a road trip. Your mileage isn't exciting me....but I guess it's better or equal to the competition.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
just wait, when those DSG boxes get some miles on them and need service/replacement.... $$$$$$$$$$$$

I've driven one for a week and it didn't change my mind... at all.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
just wait, when those DSG boxes get some miles on them and need service/replacement.... $$$$$$$$$$$$

One of my concerns from the start was the extra service cost.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What is the current powertrain warranty?
Honestly, not sure. We put on miles so fast. I didn't pay attention to it. I still might get the 5/100k platinum for 1700 but haven't decided yet.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree with you, with the short time I have driven the car, I am begrudgingly sold on the DSG. I like the ability to "blip" downshift when I need it..actually more than pressing the clutch then downshifting. It will stay in gear till red line too.]

Driving our TDI Golf I found I didn't even have to bother with manually shifting. About the time I would downshift (example: going down a hill and lightly touching the brakes) the car would do it for me. Yes, maintenance is expensive, but to me it's a best of both worlds thing. There's enough traffic around here my days of manuals are done (thanks to commuting in a 1986 5KTQ) And we sprung for the extended warranty. We did as well for the TDI, and should be getting some $$$ back from both that and the maintenance contract that was not completed.

We will be interested in hearing more of your impressions as you rack up miles.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Excellent review and a nice looking choice. Now you do not have to add your AWD logo to the back.ogwink

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier

If you drive one for a while, most people become converts as the convenience of having an auto in heavy traffic and a shiftable (paddle-shifters) tranny when you want it is unbeatable. Plus from a performance standpoint, they provide faster 0-60 times and faster lap times then a manual gearbox in every car mag test. The software driving these gearboxes is incredibly intuitive as to your driving habits; drive leisurely and it shifts well below red-line; drive aggressively and it shifts at red-line. They also automatically "hold" gears when ascending/descending steep grades.

The Porsche PDK is considered the "best" dual-clutch gearbox made. The 540 hp 911 Turbo's use them; they are extremely robust, bulletproof and very reliable. The VW boxes use similar construction techniques and should be just as reliable.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you drive one for a while, most people become converts as the convenience of having an auto in heavy traffic and a shiftable (paddle-shifters) tranny when you want it is unbeatable. Plus from a performance standpoint, they provide faster 0-60 times and faster lap times then a manual gearbox in every car mag test. The software driving these gearboxes is incredibly intuitive as to your driving habits; drive leisurely and it shifts well below red-line; drive aggressively and it shifts at red-line. They also automatically "hold" gears when ascending/descending steep grades.

The Porsche PDK is considered the "best" dual-clutch gearbox made. The 540 hp 911 Turbo's use them; they are extremely robust, bulletproof and very reliable. The VW boxes use similar construction techniques and should be just as reliable.
You haven't met @Bill Talbot yet. :nono: He is set in his ways. ogsmile

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

I'm glad it meets your needs. Here are my thoughts;
Convenience, nope, I want my left leg to have something to do. Heavy traffic, don't drive where that is likely short of a road closure.
And even 'ultimate performance', I couldn't care less, 0-60, 0-100 or laps times don't exist in my car use world. I like an old school manual gearbox or transaxle.
To each their own (but since there is less money to be made from them they will be getting harder and harder to find going forward)
The general direction of automotive tech mean less and less to like for me, and too much money for it. Which is why two of my cars are
25+ years old.

Last edited:

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
I'm glad it meets your needs. Here are my thoughts;
Convenience, nope, I want my left leg to have something to do. Heavy traffic, don't drive where that is likely short of a road closure.
And even 'ultimate performance', I couldn't care less, 0-60, 0-100 or laps times don't exist in my car use world. I like an old school manual gearbox or transaxle.
To each their own (but since there is less money to be made from them they will be getting harder and harder to find going forward)
The general direction of automotive tech mean less and less to like for me, and too much money for it. Which is why two of my cars are
25+ years old.

Totally understand, all my (really) old sports cars are manuals and I try not to drive them in heavy traffic. I do miss the fact that manuals are getting hard to find nowadays in premium sports cars. But the modern dual-clutch boxes are amazing for every day driving in the mountains; no "hunting" for gears, no constant up-down shifting because of a slight changes in accelerator pressure, no long pause between shifts - shifts are almost imperceptible.

I"ll have to post a picture of my dozen or so vintage ski suits that I use all the time; I"m not called "retroman" for nothing.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yesterday was to the first test in snow and hte car did remarkably well with the WS80 tires. I am not sure what we ended up getting for snow but there was enough to make the roads...well...sporty. By the time we got to the fruit stand, on the way up to Truckee, the roads were not only snow covered but pretty slick. As we exited the check point, we excellerated to see how the traction was and the car moved out as if it was dry pavement, the traction control light didn't even come on. Heading up to where we exit, the 4wd pick up on front of us lost control and started fish tailing then went into the guardrail, this gave us the chance to test the braking and evasive manuverability and again flying colors. After work there was a few inched on the ground and coming up from B to C lot at Northstar there is a hairpin turn and as I tried to break the car loose, it moved a bit latterally but with a slight counter steer correction the car straighened out quickly. As we exited the parking lot, there was an Audi A4 that, I assume, didn't have snow tires and went straight through Big Springs Road into the woods. Either they were going too far, were improperly equipped with tires, just too dumb or any combination of the above but the Alltrack had no problem stopping and coming into the turn.

Mileage update, With 2 trips back and forth to Truckee along with some around town driving, I am averaging in the mid 28's for MPG and that is with the grippier snow tires on. I haven't been driving aggressively but not conservatively either. The blip to pass of the paddles are nice, and I would day that that downship capacity would not be used nearly as much if I had to reach to the shifter. If you are an Apple user, CarPlay is a must. Siri works as well as you hoped she would as far as understanding commands. The iMaps works seamlessly and the ability to send and receive texts is also very good.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am averaging in the mid 28's for MPG and that is with the grippier snow tires on.

If you are an Apple user, CarPlay is a must. Siri works as well as you hoped she would as far as understanding commands. The iMaps works seamlessly and the ability to send and receive texts is also very good.

To me that is great mileage for AWD, a bit more ground clearance, turbo torque and snow tires (mine seem to knock 2 mpg off the AWD Sienna).

An interesting writeup on the car, where the author had some real challenges with the infotainment system (without Apple CarPlay, I believe):

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/12/2017-volkswagen-golf-alltrack-review-winter-driving/

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I saw that article and started wondering if I should buy the insurance. Need to read the fine print.

My first gas has been purchased and nowhere near Phil's mileage, but I really don't know when the car was filled relative to getting miles on its trip odometer, so it's the next tank will have more worth. Right now, it's 21.7 mpg, so I'm hoping that's because of the fact the guy reset it when he was showing me features.

My gas cap didn't seem to click more than once? I used to make sure there were seven clicks because of some kind of check engine light that would go off. Didn't want to break anything, but I think this closes and that's it? Since my last car was so old, I don't know what's normal now....