• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
After we tried out the early versions of the Endurance 98, we just knew the ski could be a bit better. @Drahtguy Kevin, @SBrown, and I reported back to @Cyrus Schenck with our first impressions such as the tip had a bit too much rise for a 98mm ski; Cyrus took the suggestions to heart, went back to the presses, and came up with the new version for this coming season. To compete against some of the best skis in this category, these are changes that had to be made. Cyrus dropped the tip about 50% and the tail about 25%; just looking at the skis' profiles, we can see he nailed it. Cyrus supplied us with a 168 and a 184. Over the next few weeks we will get all of our testers on these skis to see if they live up to the expectations -- not that we have any doubt; we expect to be just as enamored with the Endurance as we were with the Z-90.

IMG_0631.jpg
IMG_0632.jpg
IMG_0634.jpg
IMG_0635.JPG
IMG_0637.JPG

Stay Tuned for our testers reviews!

Attachments

• IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0639.jpg
    IMG_0639.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 76

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
:drool:
Can't wait!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
With a pending storm cycle about to strike next week, I am looking forward to getting clicked into these:popcorn::popcorn:

Pictures of rocker profile are sometimes hard to accurately capture by camera. @Philpug how does the tail compare to an Enforcer for comparison ?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not much sidecut in that ski!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I took the 184s out in conditions that were 3-4" of cream cheese over a rain-soaked base. Tahoe weather over the past few days has been rain and snow and rain, which has created a firm base that varied not only from elevation to elevation but also on each face depending how the wind hit it to dry it out. These were conditions that expose a ski's weaknesses very quickly and the question is, Did the new and improved Renoun Endurance hold up?
IMG_0653.JPG
IMG_0655.JPG
This is the ski that a lot of skis want to be. While the Endurance is easy to ski, it is not playful, it is damn serious. I let the Endurance open up on the backside, and I didn't find the speed limit by the time I ran out of run. Where most skis that have this type of top end, they tend to be a lot of work at slower speeds, but not the 98. This is where HDT works its magic: it works at all speeds with no real limitations. The 98 was comfortable at long-radius turns and, as with the taper in the tip and tail, the ski was easy to work into different turn shapes. Even in a 184, the ski didn't feel cumbersome at all. This was just the first half day, expect more from Colorado next week and when the Mother's Day crew gets on them. I will let @Tricia reply with her first impressions.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Hey @Cyrus Schenck great to hear from you. I look forward to demoing the 98 in a day or so. What is the radius (not that is the end-all) on the 77 in the 174? I think there are other factors more important by far BTW.

Cyrus Schenck

Founder of Renoun Skis
Skier
Manufacturer
Hey @Cyrus Schenck great to hear from you. I look forward to demoing the 98 in a day or so. What is the radius (not that is the end-all) on the 77 in the 174? I think there are other factors more important by far BTW.
hi Ron! the 180cm Z-77 phroto should be close to the 180cm Z-90, so around 16.5.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hmmm a Z 77 now that could be interesting. The Z90 certainly was. Phil what was the length of that at Aspen? Too bad winter has been so crappy in the east. Much of the time has been too bad to really demo.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just started reading all the Renoun threads -> very interesting tech !

It's great that Cyrus considers design inputs from skiers/reviewers/retailers like Phil who have spent a lot of time on a lot of skis
The topsheet above looks great too, as does the logo.
Of course, when I get my first pair, I might have to add a line of white tape going into the triangle, and multi-coloured tape exiting the triangle ..... :D
One thing I have grown to appreciate in any ski now is topsheet durability.
2 good ones that come to mind are what Kastle ( newest FX & BMX series ) and DPS have done with their matte textured finishes -> they are very durable, and very good at concealing scuffs & scratches

Reading up on HDT, I am reminded of the Head Chip, another means of using the ski vibration against itself, though the Head Chip was not a polymer. Anyone know why Head gave up on Chip ?

~ Andy

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmmm a Z 77 now that could be interesting. The Z90 certainly was. Phil what was the length of that at Aspen? Too bad winter has been so crappy in the east. Much of the time has been too bad to really demo.

@James here is the preview thread for the Z-77. The Z-90 I had is a 174, the Z-77 is a 180.

I will be interested how the Endurance 98 handles all the fresh snow that we got here in PCMR last night. I will report back later after I get to Steamboat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
That 98 is a pretty incredible ski. the 184 ski's a bit short but is super stable and I would be very content on the 184. .Dances in powder & truck in crud/wind load and even had great stability and edge hold in icy windbuffed. Wow!

the Renoun feels very much like my Stockli 107 in that its super damp but still remains very light, lively and playful. Its super flickable in the trees and bumps. I think it's design is still being tweaked as its true strength is off piste and buried in snow. It ripped bump lines too. You could drive the tips and it absorbed the energy very well and since they are so light underfoot, retracting your feet was easy. In a very short eriod of time, I totally trusted the ski; our snow here has been a mix of deep powder, wind buffed in near white out conditions (when not in the trees) and you really dont know what you will hit on your next turn (not kidding here ) and I totally trusted the 98. it just handled anything you ran into. Skiing the Ridge yesterday, (~35*) I ran into a great pocket of creamy wind load and then in the open, wind buffed icey, gravely snow. The 98 just bit and held the edge.

Last edited:

Sponsor