• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long-Term Test: 2017 Lange RS 140

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thermo tape should work. I've had good luck with a flexible epoxy where the edges of the sole peel, but I would be worried about that leaving a hard area.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a boater and if want something to stick together and never come off, I use 3M 5200 urethane adhesive. It is probably similar to the aquasure stuff above. All boaters use this to glue underwater through hull fittings in. This stuff is thick and unbelievably sticky. Cures to a very firm rubbery mass, so make sure it is in the shape you want it to be before it fully sets up. Wear gloves, it is really messy.

I will have to try the freezer trick, because most tubes become fully cured after using just a little bit. I buy the smallest tube I can find and throw it away after use.

Burton

Getting on the lift
Skier
Bumping this thread to ask for some related boot advice. I've been in the Lange 140 for the past season and a half, and I really like it. Unfortunately, cracks are developing in the shells of both right below the top two buckles, so I fear I need to think about my next pair. I've been in a Lange RS or its predecessor for the last 25 years, and they've always worked great for me. I essentially just need advice on what RS model I should go with (I know Lange stopped making the 140), and I also could use recommendations for a bootfitter within a couple of hours of Boston.

About me: I raced USSA for 4 years, USCSA in college, took a 10 year telemark hiatus, and then took up beer league about ten years ago. I coach my kids' race team, which has gotten me excited about racing all over again, so I'll likely make use of my USSA license to try some Masters races this year. I weigh 170, and keep fit with a big focus on legs. I like very snug, stiff boots, but I've never been in a plug. Almost all my skiing is in the east, and my main priority is having a boot that works well for racing. I've now reached that age (early 40s) wherein I spend money to delay the inevitable decline, but I'm also trying not to be too much of a gear head.

So, do I go with a 130 and swap out the liner with my current 140 liner or something like the BootDoc foam liner, or go with the ZB? Are plugs complete overkill for a 40 something beer-leaguer? I'm kind of intrigued by the process of going full plug, with all the requisite fitting and canting. To date, my bootfitting has been limited to foot beds, setting the cuff angle and some punches and grinding. But on the other hand, if I can get the same close fit and responsiveness from a good liner without all the hassles of a plug boot, that seems to make more sense. Thoughts? Or better yet, can you recommend a fitter that can take the above info, give me the straight dope, and get me dialed in to the right boot?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You have a ton of shops all over New England that will be able to help you. LEts start with where do you ski out of and lets find a shop close to that. The 140 is a 130 plus, a 130 shell with the lace up. I am using a BootDoc now and really like it. I will say the new Lange liner for next season looks great, it is much more anatomic than the old ones, the same with the shell. But there are great fitters all over New England, is is just what will be close to you and convenient.

Burton

Getting on the lift
Skier
LEts start with where do you ski out of and lets find a shop close to that.
My beer league racing and coaching is at one of the par 3 hills just outside Boston. A couple of years ago, I went to a local bootfitter who steered me into some 110 wides. Do not want to make that mistake again. I think I need to go north. The rest of my skiing is all over Vermont and New Hampshire for weekend trips, with Stowe being the place I go more than most. Unfortunately, it will be tough for me to spend several days skiing near a bootfitter up north, but I'm willing to make repeat drives.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My beer league racing and coaching is at one of the par 3 hills just outside Boston. A couple of years ago, I went to a local bootfitter who steered me into some 110 wides. Do not want to make that mistake again. I think I need to go north. The rest of my skiing is all over Vermont and New Hampshire for weekend trips, with Stowe being the place I go more than most. Unfortunately, it will be tough for me to spend several days skiing near a bootfitter up north, but I'm willing to make repeat drives.
If you ski out of Stowe...Pinnacle/InnerBootworks the sister store to our sponsor @SkiEssentials would be a great place to start. Benny Wax knows as much about Lange boots as almost any retailer. If the new Lange doesn't work for you, I am sure that he will have a viable option.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
For the lange experts in here: Are there any major differences between the 2016 and 2017 RS 140? Aside from color scheme? Many thanks!

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Not an expert, but the difference is in the liner. The 2017 model year has a "better" liner, generally considered to be a bit better fit for most and more durable. Better tongue, as well. Now, I could argue that it's degrees of very good to excellent. Both liners were good.

Another factor is that the only real difference between a RS140 and a RS130 {other than the price} for those years is the liner. Many people ditch the liners in either boot right from the start, sell the stock liners and go with an aftermarket liner. I have one in my family in a BD, one in Zips. Based on that plan, the best "value" might be a 2016, or 2015, NOS RS130.

The shell changed in last year's boot, the "2018" boots, which first appeared in the late spring of 2017. This year's boot is a 2019. They always use the spring date to determine the model year. I have always thought 2018-2019 would make more sense.

The 2018, and 2019 boots, the new RS130, is different. There is no more RS140. Again, not a big deal, IMO. Ignore the "flex" number. Dual Core injection for the RS and RX, instead of mono injection. Whole different topic. Some folks love it, others prefer the older mono injected boot. My hunch is that they may not have skied the newer boot much. Probably a lot info available via Google.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online