• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long-Term Test: 2017 Lange RS 140

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I look forward to the day when I once again live in a state where it actually snows, there are actual ski shops with more than one boot above 100 flex and boot footers are abundant. It's not so easy in a state that averages 0.00mm per year. You'd laugh at some of the off the wall things I've heard the "boot fitters" say in the local "ski shops" I've been in lately. It's why I appreciate what info I can get from the internet. Thanks!

Where do you live?

I live about 400 miles from the nearest boot fitter. It took a while before I got around to go but it was well worth it. I actually went to one in Vail which is more than 600 miles away. Got boots fitted in about 1 hour the first day and 30 min the second day. I did bring my own boots though and they fit pretty well from the get go even though they were about a half size too large for me.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Clearwater Beach, Fl and Pisgah Forest, NC
I was able to try on a RX 130 today and that extra 3mm width made all the difference in the world! I'd prefer the RS 130 but since the RX 130 fit great and the shells are the same, I assume it would be safe to go that route since they are so similar? Unfortunately, there is not a RS 130 Wide within a several state radius to try on. Thanks!

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Where do you live?

I live about 400 miles from the nearest boot fitter. It took a while before I got around to go but it was well worth it. I actually went to one in Vail which is more than 600 miles away. Got boots fitted in about 1 hour the first day and 30 min the second day. I did bring my own boots though and they fit pretty well from the get go even though they were about a half size too large for me.

Unfortunately I'm about 2000 miles from Vail at the moment but I may try to make a trip out to Colorado in April to shop for and dial in boots. I've driven all over Georgia, Florida and North Carolina trying on everything I can find in my size but it's rough because one store may have 1-2 boots and another city a few hours away has a couple which makes it hard to compare them. You guys have it so good who live in snow country. I took it for granted when growing up in the Sierras! Oh well, I finally got to try on enough to know that a 100mm Lange 130 is absolutely the boot for me. Thanks for the help!

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey guys, as I mentioned a couple weeks ago I was able to try on a RX 130 (100mm) in a Florida sporting goods store but it was MSRP and I could tell from talking that I knew more than the person working in the shop (not that I know much) so I opted not to buy it because I'd be paying full price plus seeking out a reputable boot fitter in another state.

Then I found a good deal online for a RS 130 Wide and booked a trip out to Colorado in early April to pay a boot footer to help me get it dialed in. The extra 3mm of the wide made a big difference. Both the 97 and 100 conform to my feet nicely when I first slip my feet in but pain my toes would start to tingle and go numb in about 5-10 min in the 97 and they are comfortable but start to tingle and go numb in the 100mm at about 20 minutes. Two of the more highly rated boot fitters in Colorado will be closed for the season by the time I get there which I did not anticipate so I'm scrambling to find someone to help dial me in. I spoke to one boot fitter (must be smaller as he has a website but I can't find a single review online) that was really nice and said he'd be happy to work with me but he said something that has me 2nd guessing either my boots, or him. He said that 103 and 105mm wide feet are too wide to go into a 100mm last and that I should go into a 102mm SX or other wider boot. However, in a 27.5 the 100mm RS 130 is really 102mm so I wouldn't think it would be hard to punch or stretch 3mm. Let me clarify that he didn't say he couldn't make it work as he has the equipment to do the work but he was questioning my foot being to wide for this foot.

Is it unreasonable for you boot fitters to put someone with a 105mm wide foot (my smaller foot is only 103 and I've read you should fit to the smaller foot and make room for the bigger) in a 100mm RS?

Also, I got a good enough deal on this boot that I could afford to go to an after market liner and rereading this whole thread again I read some great reviews on the BD liners. If that would be a good option for me how would I got about getting those somewhere around Denver-Summit County? On the BD website I only see a dealer in Telluride and that's over 5 hrs from where I'll be staying.

I'm kind of bummed because I planned this late season ski trip mainly to get my boots dialed in and had no idea fitters would be closing before the end of the season. I had debated going back to my home stomping grounds near Tahoe but figured the snow would be better at the higher elevations of Colorado. In retrospect this may have been a bad call since there are some highly rated boot fitters are in the Reno/Tahoe area that may have been open in early April. Not sure what to do at this point.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hey guys, as I mentioned a couple weeks ago I was able to try on a RX 130 (100mm) in a Florida sporting goods store but it was MSRP and I could tell from talking that I knew more than the person working in the shop (not that I know much) so I opted not to buy it because I'd be paying full price plus seeking out a reputable boot fitter in another state.

Then I found a good deal online for a RS 130 Wide and booked a trip out to Colorado in early April to pay a boot footer to help me get it dialed in. The extra 3mm of the wide made a big difference. Both the 97 and 100 conform to my feet nicely when I first slip my feet in but pain my toes would start to tingle and go numb in about 5-10 min in the 97 and they are comfortable but start to tingle and go numb in the 100mm at about 20 minutes. Two of the more highly rated boot fitters in Colorado will be closed for the season by the time I get there which I did not anticipate so I'm scrambling to find someone to help dial me in. I spoke to one boot fitter (must be smaller as he has a website but I can't find a single review online) that was really nice and said he'd be happy to work with me but he said something that has me 2nd guessing either my boots, or him. He said that 103 and 105mm wide feet are too wide to go into a 100mm last and that I should go into a 102mm SX or other wider boot. However, in a 27.5 the 100mm RS 130 is really 102mm so I wouldn't think it would be hard to punch or stretch 3mm. Let me clarify that he didn't say he couldn't make it work as he has the equipment to do the work but he was questioning my foot being to wide for this foot.

Is it unreasonable for you boot fitters to put someone with a 105mm wide foot (my smaller foot is only 103 and I've read you should fit to the smaller foot and make room for the bigger) in a 100mm RS?

Also, I got a good enough deal on this boot that I could afford to go to an after market liner and rereading this whole thread again I read some great reviews on the BD liners. If that would be a good option for me how would I got about getting those somewhere around Denver-Summit County? On the BD website I only see a dealer in Telluride and that's over 5 hrs from where I'll be staying.

I'm kind of bummed because I planned this late season ski trip mainly to get my boots dialed in and had no idea fitters would be closing before the end of the season. I had debated going back to my home stomping grounds near Tahoe but figured the snow would be better at the higher elevations of Colorado. In retrospect this may have been a bad call since there are some highly rated boot fitters are in the Reno/Tahoe area that may have been open in early April. Not sure what to do at this point.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

There are several really good fitters in Colorado so I am pretty sure you can find someone to help you. Check with Chris in Vail SBF (Ski Boot Fitters, in Lionshead Village, no sign, its inside a Vail Sports Ski Rental) also Larry's Bootfitting in Boulder. I have also heard of but no first hand accounts of The Custom Foot (Denver/Englewood, Co) and Boot Mechanics in Golden.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm no expert but I've always been fitted in something narrower than what my foot measures. Then punched out as required.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
I actually called both SBF and Larry's a couple days ago and they won't be open in early April. I'll be making more calls later today. From calling around yesterday it's clearly late season and in stock liners and boots are scarce.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I actually called both SBF and Larry's a couple days ago and they won't be open in early April. I'll be making more calls later today. From calling around yesterday it's clearly late season and in stock liners and boots are scarce.
@Doug Briggs how long will your shop be open? What about Podium in Frisco?

Seve

Live Free or Die Baby
Skier
Just bought the RS130 (97 last) three weeks ago which replaced my 8 year old Lange Supercomp 140's which had a lace up liner. Was tempted to buy the RS140's but opted for the 130's which don't have the lace up liners....They are a PITA in my opinion.
Did notice right away had much more upright the RS130 stance was vs the Supercomps. Skied 2 days w/o the rear spoiler and never got 100% comfortable so added the spoiler and it's money. Still not as far forward as the old boots and can notice less wear on the legs but still same performance.
I now have 4 days on them...all warm days in 50's and 60's and cranked down they are still plenty stiff even in warm weather which I was worried about. Next winter in the cold they will be MUCH stiffer which works for me
The only thing I don't not like is the cheesy Power Strap as it did not lock tight and also liked to ride up the tongue of the boot.
I replaced it with the Booster Strap's on the Supercomps....MUCH MUCH BETTER! Locks tight and no movement whatsoever.
I've skied nothing but Lange's for 30 plus years and very happy with these boots now that I've got them dialed in.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just bought the RS130 (97 last) three weeks ago which replaced my 8 year old Lange Supercomp 140's which had a lace up liner. Was tempted to buy the RS140's but opted for the 130's which don't have the lace up liners....They are a PITA in my opinion.
Did notice right away had much more upright the RS130 stance was vs the Supercomps. Skied 2 days w/o the rear spoiler and never got 100% comfortable so added the spoiler and it's money. Still not as far forward as the old boots and can notice less wear on the legs but still same performance.
I now have 4 days on them...all warm days in 50's and 60's and cranked down they are still plenty stiff even in warm weather which I was worried about. Next winter in the cold they will be MUCH stiffer which works for me
The only thing I don't not like is the cheesy Power Strap as it did not lock tight and also liked to ride up the tongue of the boot.
I replaced it with the Booster Strap's on the Supercomps....MUCH MUCH BETTER! Locks tight and no movement whatsoever.
I've skied nothing but Lange's for 30 plus years and very happy with these boots now that I've got them dialed in.
Try a little heel lift in. ;)

Oleg S

Booting up
Skier
I have RX130 LV (not RS130) and probably need a new liner. Is new Lange liner way to go? or just swap to intuition? Or neither one, and should consider some foam injected liners (oh boy, these are $$$).

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have RX130 LV (not RS130) and probably need a new liner. Is new Lange liner way to go? or just swap to intuition? Or neither one, and should consider some foam injected liners (oh boy, these are $$$).

I would look aftermarket. If the liners are warn out, how tired is the shell?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Can't speak for Phil, but having gotten a set of foam liners and spending a few days in them, if it's in budget and you're dialed on the shells, man, foam injected liners ski great!

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I've posted on this quite a bit. I moved out of a plug boot into an RX130 two years ago. 60th bday present. My bootfitter is a friend and he convinced me to not even bother with the stock liner. Went right into a foam liner. In my case BD's. My daughter and my son's GF have each left plugs behind and are in RS130/140's....with BD foams.

In our experience that shell design with a foam liner is pretty great. Very pleased with it, using a wide variety of skis, on a lot of different terrain and surfaces.

surfandski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Try a little heel lift in. ;)

Maybe that's why my new RS 130s felt so good from the start. Due to an ankle injury my bootfitter put in a 1/2" heel lift from the get go which I expected to feel strange or throw off my balance but these boots felt very natural even with that much lift. I love these boots but have only skied them in spring conditions where they felt a little soft so I'm expecting them to stiffen up and flex perfectly on normal days.

Regarding BD and other foam liners, is it true that they are higher volume than the stock liners? I'm a very snug fit (forefoot and instep) and inquired about BD and other liners from 2 boot fitters who both said there wouldn't be room since the stock liners are lower volume than aftermarket. I'm not at all unhappy with my stock liners but have heard these boots run a little cold so I was mainly inquiring about the BD for warmth since I have poor circulation in my bad ankle.

These are great boots and much more comfortable than my last pair of Langes from the early 90's!

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Regarding BD and other foam liners, is it true that they are higher volume than the stock liners?

No. Not in my experience, and in the experience of four family members and probably a dozen close friends. And in my boot guy who is a good friend and foams at least 100 pairs a season. Also sells ZipFit, Intuition, and had two other foam lines before going all in with BD. None of us have any affiliation with BD.

I'm in a pretty tight shell fit. I would bet that some "fitters" would start buy sizing me up. Wrong way to go. My daughter and daughter in law are in a very tight shell fit {but positively roomy compared to many, many years in a plug. My son has an 11E foot in a 305mm Doberman that has a lot of work done to it. So all tight. All in various liners. All made by BD, as they have a couple of friends for whom they are a preferred go to. Plenty of room for the liners. Great fit. Nice mix of comfort and performance. They just work.

Are they warmer? I think so, and only because of the fact that they eliminate an pressure points, and your circulation tends to be good. It's got nothing, IME, to do with the actual foam, the volume of the liner, etc. My wife had hers fitted to accomdate her heated socks. No heat for the rest of us. We have a lot of data in them and they have not degraded, stretched, etc. One pair has about 300 days on it. I'm guessing they they may go to 400. That's pretty good, until compared to a few ZipFits that I know are edging up on 1000.

My brother has a foam Head liner, and is similarly "sold". Loves them. There are a lot of good foam liners out there.

Have never heard a boot guy, or lady, experienced with a foam liner and foaming process suggest that they have too much volume compared to any stock liner, let alone an RS liner.

Yes, a few changes to the technology since your last pair of Lange's. Enjoy the new boots!

Oleg S

Booting up
Skier
my RX are only 3rd season (actually 2.5), so about 50 days and liner started to pack up a little bit (I though I would be good with stock liner at least for 100, maybe 150 days). Also, liner is very cold, I mean i have no problem with 30's F but as soon as temp goes down to 20's and below.. "Houston, we have a problem". The shell is fine and had no work done or needed. Shell fit shows about 15 mm, and I am using ultra thin socks, if that is matter.

P.S. off post, just wondering if there is such a service which would evaluate my current boots (for a fee of course) without trying to sell me a new boots no matter what.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January