• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long-Term Test: 2017 Lange RS 140

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Lange RS 140
Last: 97mm
Size tested: 25.5 (296mm BSL)
Design: NGT​

During our meeting with Lange at SIA, I realized I have been skiing for 40 years or so, but never in one of the most popular, best-selling brands of all time. I have had the posters, the "Trust me, I am a bootfitter” t-shirts, hats galore, and plenty of other swag -- but never a Lange ski boot. That has changed, and there is a new RS 140 in my boot rotation.​
IMG_0569.JPG
The RS 140 is a boot you are fairly familiar with. Think of an RS 130 that goes to 11. How does it go to 11? Well, the RS 140 is the bridge between Lange's hugely popular RS series and its full-on race boots (ZJ/ZA/ZB/ZC). It is the same solid-sole 97mm shell used for the RS130 with a few upgrades such as locking buckles and, most significantly, a World Cup cork-flow lace-up liner. The lace-up makes the boot marginally stiffer, but the big difference is the fit: the cork liner is snugger and more anatomic, especially in the heel pocket. The tongue is detachable and can be moved up and down to match the instep perfectly.​
IMG_0570.JPG
I needed to make a few modifications before skiing. The first step was to bring over my posted Instaprint footbeds, and the second was to flatten the zeppa. The Lange zeppas have an inherent arch built into them, and while it is only 2 or 3 mm high, remember that a millimeter is a mile in a boot. I usually belt sand the zeppa to get it flat, which allows the custom footbed to sit flat and gives back those few millimeters over the instep. I also had to do a grind for my fifth metatarsal bone.​
IMG_0573.JPG
On-snow feel is very natural. Lange’s modern upright stance is perfect, and not a bit of the energy brought to the ski is lost. Having limited dorsal range, the Lange’s stance works well for me. I also have a fairly thin lower leg, and this is one of the first boots I haven't had to max out the buckles to get a snug fit.

I will be reporting back and adding to this thread as the rest of the season goes on.​

Attachments

• IMG_0571.JPG
    IMG_0571.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_0572.JPG
    IMG_0572.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 318

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Very interested in how that liner works out. Any thoughts on how it might fit in RS130 and whether it might be available order as a replacement for my 130 liners?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Very interested in how that liner works out. Any thoughts on how it might fit in RS130 and whether it might be available order as a replacement for my 130 liners?
It will be plug and play in your 130 and should be available as a replacement.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Phil, I believe that the only difference between the RS130 and RS140 over the past two seasons has been the liner.
Good move with the zeppa, BTW. First move that my daughter's guy did with hers. She moved out of 10 years in a bunch of R2006 ZA's, and into the RS130. Moved up a size, and also got treated to a foam BD liner. She was on the fence, as the stock RS140 liner was really nice. My understanding is that it's only improved since. "Booster" strap looks improved, too. She has a Booster brand on hers, as the stock strap wasn't as nice as that new one appears to be.

She loves the boot. Loves the stance. Feels that she has never skied better, and skis it in very kind of situation. Also raves about the comfort and warmth after 10+ years in a tight plug. Probably has 150 days on them by now. All very positive.

Look forward to hearing your impressions. Think you'll like them. They also look cool....which counts.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
They have to be more volume than those mach1's, right? Same shell as an RS130? Or did you go down in size.

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I've been a happy Lange RS130 skier since they came out... my only complaint with the RS series is that they are one COLD boot.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Finally a company does a cork-flow liner in a non-plug boot!

I am surprised they have instep built into a zeppa, at that performance level, you almost have to assume that the user will have a custom footbed, which needs a flat zeppa.

Rod Swank

Booting up
Instructor
This last season I moved from the Nordica Dobbie WC 130 to the Lange RS130. I don't race any longer and as I get older, my feet don't like the narrow 93mm. last. My issue with the Lange RS130 is it is too soft. I am tall and have a long lower leg, therefore I am over flexing the 130. Phil, is the RS140 enough of a flex difference from the 130 to make the switch? The Lange rep as also suggester the ZA +, but I would then be back in a WC 130 flex with a slightly wider forefoot then the 93 Lange WC last....Your thoughts??

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
They don't appear to be that much different.

My dad was given the choice between this boot and the Raptor....he chose the raptor. But the guy doing the fitting basically said...he could make either one work just fine....

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For those of us who don't have ski boot model numbers memorized, what was the Lange XLR?
It is the orange boot in the pictures. The equivalent boot in 1982 or so.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
^the 140 liner is,indeed, a bit more "fancy" than the GPX. Tried the both on last night. Doberman 98 last has one too, but not sure if that is a lace up - they didn't have one to look at.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
It is the orange boot in the pictures. The equivalent boot in 1982 or so.

So when did Lange start becoming known for "blue"? Seems weird that there ever was an orange Lange. I associate orange with Technica.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the RS 130. Does it have the 2-3mm zeppa?

Please excuse my lack of boot knowledge.