• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Long-Term Review: Stockli Stormrider 107

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
You are about to read a lot of contradictory statements about the 183 Stöckl Stormrider 107. Why? Because no other ski I have ever clicked into seemingly does so many things so well even though it just doesn't seem like it should.
image-jpeg.2989

For 2016, Stöckli changed up the construction of the 107, shedding 8% of its weight (according to Stöckli) and added its Triple Range inserts, which are carbon inserts into the tip and tail and reinforced under the foot. It also has two sheets of titanal. Even with the tapered tip and tail, the ski doesn't really look like a powder ski; in fact, Stöckli calls it a freeride ski.

First note the rocker profile: the tip has a very modest amount of rocker with low splay, and the tail has very little rocker; it reminds me of the tail on a Salomon Q-105. Flex is rather soft; it's super even and consistent. Picking up the ski, it does feel light -- even though the silver topsheets are reminiscent of a Volant so you think it is going to weigh a ton. One thing that caught me was the sound of the ski. Most skis "click" when tapped together, but the Stöckli "clunks" .... It's a dull deep clunk, just another indication that this ski is different. The topsheets are silver with the red and black strips of carbon. It's a very classy look, and obvious this ski is very well constructed. It just feels good.

image-jpeg.2988

I had been looking for a highly versatile powder-oriented ski with little rocker. @FairToMiddlin and @Drahtguy Kevin gushed over this ski as did @Philpug. I spoke to Scott @dawgcatching and he also liked it, so I decided to give it a shot. I sold off some skis and other gear (a lot, in fact) and ordered a pair from him.

There are three mount points to choose from: FS (freeski), AM (all mountain), and PW (powder). For the first day I set my Attack binding at -5mm from the FS line as I tend to prefer powder skis more center mounted.

image-jpeg.2987

It was a boot-deep day of medium-density snow, not Steamboat's typical blower. I was immediately impressed with the damp, grounded feel. I skied down an open blue run to get to the Storm Peak lift, which goes to the top of Mt. Werner. Starting with easy short-radius turns and then mid-radius turns, I could tell the ski was very responsive and quite easy. For a 107mm ski with a soft flex, the ski engaged and tracked extremely well with a damp, assured feel. It planed up quite well when I skied it flat. In fact, with such little rise, it almost seemed like it had "on demand" rocker. The softish tip seemingly adjusts itself to what is needed. It was quite bizarre -- in a good way of course. The ski just stays glued to the terrain. I skied into some off-piste areas with undulations, rollers, and dips; again the tips just rode through the terrain, never raising its pulse. The tips absorbed the variations with uncanny ease. However, I did find this mount point to be too far forward.

Next time out, I set the bindings to about +3mm in front of the AM mark. This was just about perfect for me. I think AM for trees and tighter turns is the right call; if you are skiing in open terrain, you could probably go back. For this reason, a demo or adjustable binding may be a really good choice.

Skiing the third day was deep. Sections were really deep. I got up very early and we had first tracks down one of the blue-black runs off the Four Points chair. There was a solid 8 to 10 in. over a groomed surface (ie, nirvana). I was able to open up the 107, and man! was that a blast. The 107 comes up on edge exceedingly easily and just rips along unshakably. Take a look at the tips engaging; I wish I had a progression of pics here, but you can see how the tips are just bending and pulling me across the fall line.

image-jpeg.2984

From that run we headed right to the edge of Shadows, which has amazing aspens. There we again skied untracked champagne knee high and above. So the same ski that just ripped down a groomer at speed with incredible stability was now dancing through the trees. I was really amazed how amenable this ski was: drift it, carve it, and now turn it on a dime in tight aspens. Even with the minimal rocker in the tail, the ski releases and can be easily slarved. Wow! What I have learned is that this ski is very flickable, like a carbon mountain bike on switchbacks, the 107s can be moved around and really worked in the trees and bumps. I think this is due to the balance of the ski and the reduced weight in the tips; the ski has a very easy swing weight.

Day 4 was 6 in. of medium-density very easy and grippy powder. I ended up moving the bindings forward again, so it seems to make sense that in deeper powder moving them back was the ticket but I really preferred them a bit forward (+5 to 7mm) of the AM line, otherwise.

stockli-trees-jpg.3349

• Who is it for? If you appreciate fine craftsmanship and a ski that truly is unique and high performing, you need to at least demo it. If you want a ski that can ski deep powder, rip groomed, and dance through trees and soft bumps, this is a must try. I have skied many powder skis, and I have to say this is the finest inbounds and sidecountry powder ski I have ever owned.
  • Who is it not for? If you like poppy, high-energy skis, this one may not thrill you. If you want a super surfy loose ski, don't even bother demoing. If you faint at a ski with four-digit price tag, stay away.
  • Insider tip: Use an adjustable binding to get the mount point dialed for the given conditions

Last edited:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I did and I might copy your review and just remove the parts about being on them on 4 different days instead of just 2 runs.:D

I will say that every Stockli I have put on my feet (SR95, Laser AX, and SR107) have knocked my socks off:golfclap:...of course for the going rate they should:0

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
I loved the previous generation of SR107, it was probably the only one of the 1-0-x's that I would consider as a daily driver. As capable in mixed snow as the Cochise, much less of a truck, and will dance around the Cochise in circles on the hardback. The Achilles heel of modern Stormriders is the sizing. They ski short, so 183 is almost like a 178 and the next size up is already pretty big. I'd still believe that the SR95 is still a better all mountain ski and SR115 would be a better powder ski (although I was on 190+ on those which were still amazingly skiable for such big boards). The 185 SR115 maybe just the ticket for a big powder ski with tail and edge hold. But if you want only one ski the SR107 is nice choice. All modern Stockli are fantastic (and better be at that price). Kastle is less conservative with the shape these days and maybe getting a bit ahead in some areas because of that, but it does look like Stockli just cannot make a bad ski.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
yeah, 107 is as wide as I ever need for Colorado snow.(its a personal preference thing though) with 5 days now at or above boot high to mid thigh, for me, I see no need for anything wider; plus the added versatility and high performance(not just doable) in the bumps and tracked out piles on the groomers makes this a super star. I dont find that it skis short. Its so stable and with such slight rocker, skiing it neutral is not an issue. Interestingly, I compared from toe to top of ski on my 107 to a friends Nordi Patron 185 (mounted on the line) and it was almost exactly the same length. Given that the Patron has significantly more rocker, the 107 had more out front. This could be an issue if I were to ski it on big open bowls at mach schnell speeds I suppose but for trees, bumps, tighter spots its an advantage.

Last edited:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I loved the previous generation of SR107, it was probably the only one of the 1-0-x's that I would consider as a daily driver. As capable in mixed snow as the Cochise, much less of a truck, and will dance around the Cochise in circles on the hardback. The Achilles heel of modern Stormriders is the sizing. They ski short, so 183 is almost like a 178 and the next size up is already pretty big. I'd still believe that the SR95 is still a better all mountain ski and SR115 would be a better powder ski (although I was on 190+ on those which were still amazingly skiable for such big boards). The 185 SR115 maybe just the ticket for a big powder ski with tail and edge hold. But if you want only one ski the SR107 is nice choice. All modern Stockli are fantastic (and better be at that price). Kastle is less conservative with the shape these days and maybe getting a bit ahead in some areas because of that, but it does look like Stockli just cannot make a bad ski.

Kastle and Stockli
That's been my experience so far....I'm having trouble deciding which to get

and I don't need any help like "both":roflmao:

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
I am constantly shocked how good both my 115s and 95s are....

When im going to ski deep stuff, tracked or untracked, I ride the 115s.

Everything else that is an "all around" day... Just ride the 95s. They literally do it all.

I would imagine the 107 fits right there in the middle...

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Yeah, it's so versatile that I hate to say this but it has almost replaced the need for the enforcer. With as much added float and crud ability the new fx85 brought to the game, I really could go to a SR107 and Fx85 setup. But that's no fun :beercheer:

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Kastle and Stockli
That's been my experience so far....I'm having trouble deciding which to get

and I don't need any help like "both":roflmao:

Well,,,, rumor has it Scott @dawgcatching has a Pugski special running in celebration of his sponsorship. You may drop him a line since he has both.

At some point I know you would appreciate having either clicked into your boots. I'm a big fan of the fx85 though for a great Colorado every-dayer It's not Carvy and don't expect it to hook up quick or precise but for side country, bumps and tracked it's superb. IMHO, that's where I'd go first.

Scrundy

I like beer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Funny I also have the FX84 and love them but the 88 blows them away. I used to avoid tracked out snow,now I find myself looking for it. Crud is a blast they just tear it up. As a east coast skier I can't believe you could find a better ski. They just seem to do everything well real well. I am really surprised you don't hear more talk about them because these are some bad ass sticks. Oh yea my FXs have become my rock skis.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I still need to demo the Stockli 88 but the new FX85 is a definite improvement over an already fantastic fx84. The new profile adds float and crudability (Tm). They expanded the skis ability and reach.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Got a pair of the FX95HP today...Maybe I'll pick up the SR107 as my pow ski.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Long-term update. The SR 107 STILL remains my favorite pow-broken-crud ski ever. Many days on the 107 now. I need to see where I ended up on the binding but its so dialed for knee-plus powder to broken snow. Super quick and flickable and feels like a 98 ski in the bumps. Skiing at fairly high speeds through broken, its eerily stable and so easy and fun to layover on edge.

EDIT: Mount point that works best for me and my style is -5mm from the FS mark or +1.5 forward from the AM mark.

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I started on the AM mark, which was $$$ on groomers but I felt the tails were too locked in and hard to break free when things got badly chopped up (undoubtedly my bad technique). I'm now midway between AM and PW marks, which worked well for me last weekend but I want to try Ron's setting this coming weekend to see how that feels. I am quite amazed at the change even 5mm makes; it's like having a completely different ski.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
interested to hear where you end up. my mount location is oriented towards trees and being quicker. for more open terrain, I think i liked it on or close to AM for that. So interesting that we are pretty close.

Thanks for the input! :thumb:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Will get back to you if I get enough fresh to cover the deadfall in Niseko trees.
Place got hit hard by an unusual typhoon in autumn, first one ever to make direct landfall in Hokkaido.
And this year dealing with unusually low snowfall (so far).