• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Long-Term Review: 2018 K2 Pinnacle 95

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
K2 went back to the drawing board with the new Pinnacle 95. It didn't fix what wasn't broken but evolved a few things by modifying the construction and extending the wheelbase. Both changes make the skis more stable -- err, serious -- without losing any of the fun. Why do I keep emphasizing the words "serious" and "fun"? Well, K2's current tag line is #seriousfun, and all of its skis have a balance of those two words, maybe 70:30, 50:50, 20:80 depending on the ski. The Pinnacle 95's serious:fun ratio has moved from 10:90 closer to 20:80. The longer wheelbase does make the ski a bit more stable on the groomers and firmer snow, achieving what K2 set out to do.

IMG_0775.JPG

I like playful skis, skis that don't always demand your attention but if you need them to perform at their maximum, they don't fight back; the Pinnacle 95 is just that ski. Don't expect it to be an ice pick, but as long as you get it up on edge, it will hold the turn that you want. But that's not where it shines: the 95, and the Pinnacle shape in general, is more off-piste-oriented, which is where the fun comes into play. And play, it does. Trees, bumps, 3D snow, and fluff are the conditions in which I most enjoy skiing it. The low-angle trees on Northstar's backside are a blast on the 95s with their pivoty feel and lively personality.

On a purely aesthetic view, returning to my Cage Match Comparison: It Ain't Easy Being Green, K2 has darkened the graphics, going from green with some black to primarily black with green accents and the return of the K2 tire track logo, which looks great.
  • Who is it for? Yes, the Pinnacle is easy, and that is a good thing.
  • Who is it not for? 11/10th skiers can overpower it; hard-snow skiers should look elsewhere.
  • Insider tip: In the words of the immortal Frankie, Relax. This ski is serious FUN, don't overthink it. Stronger skiers still will want to size up.

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
Demoed this ski and loved it, serious fun is very accurate. I've been checking out other reviews and it's only been scored down for 'float' wondering what other people thought about this?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Demoed this ski and loved it, serious fun is very accurate. I've been checking out other reviews and it's only been scored down for 'float' wondering what other people thought about this?
With the extended tip profile and rocker design, the Pinnacle 95 one of the floatier options. I cannot think of another 95mm ski that floats significantly better.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Did you get on the '18 Pinnacle 105's? If I recall, the '17 made your Testers Choice. If that ski is "new and improved" and more serious, that would be a ski try.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
This is a really great ski for a lot of skiers, especially the person who's a tecnically sound skier who might not be as 'ski fit' as they once were. Easy, fun, versatile, bell to bell. Bumps, chunder, groomers... with a good tune, I didn't find them bad at all on firm snow.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
its a really sweet ski that more folks should put on the demo list or grab at a resort if in doubt for a soft snow ski. Clydesdale need not apply.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
TThe longer wheelbase does make the ski a bit more stable on the groomers and firmer snow,
I like playful skis, the 95, and the Pinnacle shape in general, is more off-piste-oriented, which is where the fun comes into play. Trees, bumps, 3D snow, and fluff are the conditions in which I most enjoy skiing it. The low-angle trees are a blast on the 95s with their pivoty feel and lively personality.
  • Who is it not for? 11/10th skiers can overpower it; hard-snow skiers should look elsewhere.
  • Insider tip: This ski is serious FUN,... Stronger skiers still will want to size up.
This is a really great ski for a lot of skiers, especially the person who's a tecnically sound skier who might not be as 'ski fit' as they once were. Easy, fun, versatile, bell to bell. Bumps, chunder, groomers... with a good tune, I didn't find them bad at all on firm snow.

Well that sounds very interesting. I am not sure I am technically sound, but I like to think at least decent. As far as ski shape, it's probably middling too. On good (powder, slush) snow, the legs often end before the lifts.

I like tight terrain and a playful ski, and I love soft snow, any kind, even slush and cut up powder.

My issue is that as a taller skier (6'5") I feel that on rough snow, or when landing jumps, I want a longer ski (say ~190cm) for fore-aft stability.
At the same time, my skiing style (no warp speed, trees, moguls, no racing background) and weight (175 lbs) generally trend towards a shorter size ski.

.... Clydesdale need not apply.

Hey, that might mean that us beanpoles should apply, right?

Given all that, I look for skis where the recommendation is to size up, not down, and for ones that offer a quick and agile feel.

What are your thoughts on the Pinnacle 95 '18 190cm for someone like me?

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I think it would be fine. I can't speak to the "yumping" aspect but you are certainly not a clydesdale.

@Philpug does the 95 get progressively stiffer at this length?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think it would be fine. I can't speak to the "yumping" aspect but you are certainly not a clydesdale.

@Philpug does the 95 get progressively stiffer at this length?

Well, my 'jumping' is along these lines ;-)

images

Which is why I can use a bit of stability upon landing.