• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Long-Term Review: 2018 Head Kore 93

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In the past, Head has done a great job with its awesome race skis, as well as the Supershape, Monster, and Instinct collections. All have received critical and consumer praise, and no one can question Head's race results. The hole was Head's big-mountain skis; while they skied well, they never really got the following of the aforementioned collections. I'm not sure if it was the unusual five tip shape, but the Flight collection never took off. Head has addressed that with its all-new Kore collection.

IMG_0794.JPG

There are three skis in the Kore collection: 93, 105, and 117. The Kore 93, which is in our test fleet, doesn't feel like any ski Head has produced before. In one word, it feels young. The Monster 88 and 98 feel old -- wait, sorry, "old" isn't the image I am looking to convey; they feel mature, purposeful. But the Kore 93 is so different from a Monster 88 that they could coexist in the same quiver (expect a Cage Match between these two this fall).

The Kore 93 is lighter than most skis in the segment; to achieve this, Head eliminated a cosmetic topsheet. What you are seeing is the actual core of the ski. The graphic that says "Head" is embossed into the construction. "Understated" is a word that we sometimes use when discussing graphics: the matte black finish, textured logo, and slight bit of yellow on the sidewall and bases make them head-turners. The Kores almost look like preproduction or test skis -- dare I say that Head picked up and ran with the ball that another manufacturer dropped with its prototype skis that we all clamored for?

What does this all mean when you get the ski onto the snow? Well, you would think a light ski might get pushed around or manhandled in heavy snow, but that's not the case here. I skied the 93 in some heavy Sierra cement at Mt. Rose, and the stability was amazing. The Kore held its own and didn't let the spring mank throw it around. It reacted very solidly with no kickback, which are characteristics you expect from a Head ski, but with a more youthful personality. The ski knows it was bred for greatness. When I tested the 93 earlier this year at the industry demos, the conditions were firmer and the Kores also did what I expected. When the 93 is put on edge on hard snow, it will not embarrass itself. No, it is no Monster 88 -- and it doesn't claim to be, either. For lighter finesse skiers, it will do most everything expected of a 93mm ski. Read our testers' reviews here.
  • Who is it for? Skiers who thought Head's skis were too stoic, or not playful. These will change your mind about skis coming out of Austria.
  • Who is it not for? You would think 11/10th skiers could overpower it, but even our bigger testers liked it. Since this is a long-term test, I will get back to this after more days on the ski.
  • Insider tip: Head is offering the Kore 93 in lengths down to a 153, a great option for smaller skiers, women, or tweenagers looking for their first adult ski. The sizes are also scaled, so smaller skiers will get the same on-snow experience as skiers on the reference sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking forward to the K93 vs. M88 Cage Match!

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I've always felt the bigger Monsters were uninspiring dead planks compared to their peers. Sounds like Head might have done something different.

I think their bigger problem might be in brand image - they just don't really seem to have ever established themselves in the "freeride" space.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Need to get on a pair of these this winter in multiple conditions.

eltigra

Yankee in the south
Skier
BTW: They seem to have very little tip tapper, is that the case?....I have not had them in hand yet.

Michael Ando

Booting up
Skier
This might seem a strange question but : what would be the pros and cons of a Kore 93 compared to a Nordica Navigator 85.
I ask because I had pretty much settled on the Nav 85 but locally there are some Kore 93s at essentially the same price so I am tempted.
Thanks .

Magoo

Putting on skis
Inactive
This might seem a strange question but : what would be the pros and cons of a Kore 93 compared to a Nordica Navigator 85.
Thanks .

I was also looking at both these ski's. For me it came down to I'd be on piste more than off and the sizes. The gap in sizing on Head was not as desireable for me so i went Nav 85. Tough choice though.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I ask because I had pretty much settled on the Nav 85 but locally there are some Kore 93s at essentially the same price so I am tempted.
Thanks .
Well, the Kore 93 would go up better against the Navigator 90. I would say that Nordica will be a better groomer ski for sure because of it being a bit stiffer, damper and a stronger tail. If you want more mixed condtions and bumps, the Kore 93.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Peanut gallery criticism, for sure, but for me, I find both the 180 and 189 sizes of the Kore 93 "wrong".

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Peanut gallery criticism, for sure, but for me, I find both the 180 and 189 sizes of the Kore 93 "wrong".
You have your right to be "wrong", I find the 180 to be perfect.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Skied the Kore 105 yesterday.

Wow. Finally a big company ski that seems to get what the indies have been moving to for years. Flickable, surfable and friendly but still able to cut through a load of junk. Couldn't really comment on high speed or groomer turns but a ski that could well have DPS etc looking over their shoulder. Insanely light with an Aatack demo binding. Could easily knock out the Cochise as the best big brand ski in that space IMV if it holds up in the hard skiing.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Paging Phil for a demo this coming season...

I hereby hold up the paper slip I just pulled from the deli counter dispenser. #2. Maybe #1 if Tricia has a pair.

(hmmm)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Skied the Kore 105 yesterday.

Wow. Finally a big company ski that seems to get what the indies have been moving to for years. Flickable, surfable and friendly but still able to cut through a load of junk. Couldn't really comment on high speed or groomer turns but a ski that could well have DPS etc looking over their shoulder. Insanely light with an Aatack demo binding. Could easily knock out the Cochise as the best big brand ski in that space IMV if it holds up in the hard skiing.
But did you like it?:huh:ogwink

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Well I think they'd be interesting to try on a real mountain with some space. There is a limit to what you can test on grey ice and unconsolidated sugar mounds.

Tried a bunch of stuff from 93 Enforcers to 118 Ragnaroks. Only the skinniest Enforcers were no fun.

Sponsor

Staff online