• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Long-Term Review: 2018 Blizzard Bonafide

Motodog71

Booting up
Skier
Quick review of my demo of the 2018 Bonafide at Mt Rose last weekend. Absolutely loved them. I had the 2014 Bones and last year switched to the Peacemaker. To me its like the New Bones are the baby of Old Bones and Peacemaker to overcome their drawbacks. The old Bones to me are slow to initiate a turn and poor turn radius. If you are going slower and want to make quick turns the Old Bones are very lethargic for bumps, trees etc but have a high speed limit. The Old Peacemaker rips small turns, powder is awesome but its tail is too whimpy for bumps IMO. The New Bones rip even at low speeds, dare I say a little poppy as speed picks up, since feels more foregiving and wider shovel should be better in pow. You get all this by giving up maybe 5% or so on the top end. So for me this is a huge win. This from the guy who is not a fan of the Cochise and its 30 turn radius though.

I also tried the new Rustler 10. It is even faster turning than the New Bones, but it had the same softer tail of the Peacemaker and skied a tad short to me although had great edge grip still. In powder think the Rustler 10 will be better but New Bones otherwise when compare the two.

snow skier

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Dear Pug ski :Great review of the 2018 Blizzard Bonafide.In your opinion,how does it stack up to the Nordica Enforcer 100 in terms of ease of turn initiation,rebound energy and one ski quiver.Thanks

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Today I took the Bonafide out at Mt. Rose today. After spending the majority of the last 7 years at Northstar, I need to learn the quirks of a new mountain and what it's snow trends are. I thought the mountain would be around 50* and corn snow so since I haven't logged into the thread in a bit, I thought I woud take the Bonafide. When we got to Rose, it was much colder than I expected, windy, they DO call it Mt. Blows, and snow that was muuuch firmer than I anticipated. For the first four runs, as much as people say, "Oh, it skis like a wide GS ski...". No, the Bone was the wrong ski, I needed that real GS ski.

But....After 11:00 they opened The Chutes. The snow in The Chutes was beautiful cream cheese, even the skied in areas were great. All in all NOW the Bonafide was in it's elements. This is where I also like the new flex and shape. The Bonafide comes across the varied conditions with control and stability. This ski is really is better for next year, it reminds me of my very first Bonafide.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Epic nomad here.

The demo tent had the 187 bonafides so I took them for a few runs. They were a lot of fun going fast on hard snow. I am 6 feet 175 lbs pretty good shape. For me 187 would be a bit too much for eastern tight trees and moguls but they would be fine for anything else. I don't like a playful ski but I think I would be better off with the 180s although I am currently on 183 K2s (tip rocker) which seem like the perfect length.

If you are much heavier than 180 pounds the 187 cm would be the way to go if you like to charge through the trees or stick to more open terrain. I would definitely consider them for my next purchase.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Epic nomad here.

The demo tent had the 187 bonafides so I took them for a few runs. They were a lot of fun going fast on hard snow. I am 6 feet 175 lbs pretty good shape. For me 187 would be a bit too much for eastern tight trees and moguls but they would be fine for anything else. I don't like a playful ski but I think I would be better off with the 180s although I am currently on 183 K2s (tip rocker) which seem like the perfect length.

If you are much heavier than 180 pounds the 187 cm would be the way to go if you like to charge through the trees or stick to more open terrain. I would definitely consider them for my next purchase.
I would say the entry weight for your height for the 187 would be 200lb. When you get a chance, try the 180cm, could be money. Oh and welcome.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for the welcome and cool site. Since I had no problem on the 187 cm I figured a very strong 185 lb person might be able to handle them well, but I agree that the 180 would be the default choice for most people. You could probably take them through some steep moguls and find out pretty quickly.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Saw the new bones in the shop. Definitely a changed shape. I liked what they did in the back, the front seems the be going somewhat in the wrong direction to my tastes as it is wider and would be hooked at speed ( keep in n mind that I spent a lot of my time in the FX95HP and got used to a very neutral tip shape). Hopefully I get a chance to take the new Bones on snow next year, but it looks like it became an easier to turn ski at the expense of some high speed top end or frozen crud stability. I'd be nervous to take that ski in a high speed run-out but it should be a blast on groomers. Probably a right move for Blizzard given the market situation.

Oleg S

Booting up
Skier
this article/review made me think (oh, yes, I am not really good in it). I have an old iteration of bones (I think either 2nd or 3rd) in 180 (I am 6' and slightly shy of 200 lbs); so, it could be time to upgrade (maybe 2018 or 2019). 180 seems like right size on groomers but when off-piste on soft, I wish for something longer (just a little bit). Does it make sense to stay with 180 or upgrade to 187 (seems like long) or go different direction to Mantra in 184 (I wish, bones would be done in 184/185) or 3 cm is not really much to think about?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
this article/review made me think (oh, yes, I am not really good in it). I have an old iteration of bones (I think either 2nd or 3rd) in 180 (I am 6' and slightly shy of 200 lbs); so, it could be time to upgrade (maybe 2018 or 2019). 180 seems like right size on groomers but when off-piste on soft, I wish for something longer (just a little bit). Does it make sense to stay with 180 or upgrade to 187 (seems like long) or go different direction to Mantra in 184 (I wish, bones would be done in 184/185) or 3 cm is not really much to think about?
The Mantra is a different ski, what are you looking for that they Bonafide is not offering? Maybe the Mantra is what you want, maybe it is something else, maybe it is the new Bonafide?

Oleg S

Booting up
Skier
The Mantra is a different ski, what are you looking for that they Bonafide is not offering? Maybe the Mantra is what you want, maybe it is something else, maybe it is the new Bonafide?
If more than 6+" overnight, off the trail, the ski dive and it is not as easy to turn.
Possible solution:
- longer skis
- better techniques
- all of above

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If more than 6+" overnight, off the trail, the ski dive and it is not as easy to turn.
Possible solution:
- longer skis
- better techniques
- all of above
If you go longer you are changing the equation. While the 187 might be good for your height in the Bone, you will still weigh the same. I would suggest trying the new Rustler 10 in the 187cm if you must stay with Blizzard. If Volkl, the 184 90Eight. Nordica, Enforcer 100 185cm, and there could be a few more.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Oleg- Bonafide is a stiff ski, so it takes some speed for it to bend and start planing in deep snow. A true powder ski would be much softer and thus would float at much slower speeds (or pretty much right away when you start moving). Neither Bonafide, nor Mantra are true powder skis and 3 cm wont make a smidge of a difference. I am exactly your size and ski 187, but I always felt that 180 Bone was too short, and I am relatively aggressive when I have my morning coffee. If they feel right on groomers, don't go longer. I'd say the solution if better technique (which would let you ski faster in deeper snow) if you fall, its not a big deal in powder, right?, or (preferably) buy powder skis for those days and enjoy.

Powder skis totally transformed the powder experience for my wife who is usually a slower and less aggressive skier than I am, she would always get bogged down in powder, now she just happily cruises. Powder is that rare snow condition where you can actually buy a turn.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I would say the entry weight for your height for the 187 would be 200lb. When you get a chance, try the 180cm, could be money. Oh and welcome.

haha I am 5'8 200lb on 187cm 16s sometimes in trees....there are always outliers....

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
haha I am 5'8 200lb on 187cm 16s sometimes in trees....there are always outliers....
Remember that when you are talking instruction ;)

amlemus

Putting on skis
Skier
This is a great review! I'm on some 2 season old Bonafides right now (a used demo set, first set I've owned) and I absolutely love them. They're ridiculously stable. The new iterations are definitely on my buy list after these outlive their usefulness.

SmileGuy

Booting up
Skier
Got on the 2018 bonafides at Louise today and loved them! Been trying to find a replacement for the old enforcers I've skied to an ugly death... these remind me of them, only 'funner'. Also skied the Rustler 10... very fun and can really lay them over, but I found them hooky... the rocker seemed too excessive and abrupt for the amount of sidecut or something... still had a blast on them, but they felt unpredictable when running straight.

I love my just out of the wrapper 2012enforcer. Hard to beat that ski for stability and grip at this width.