• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Long-Term Review: 2018 Blizzard Bonafide

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I ski 50+ days a year. I coach a ski team based at a small mountain in the east. I have a slew of skis ranging from race skis to RMU BLS. I purchased the E93 (185cm) last year as a "personal time" ski, predominately for the east. I have ski's out west, so the the next purchase will be to replace the E93 or possibly add to it, for the east coast. I love the E93 in the bumps and softer snow, but since that has been a rare find here this year, I am skiing it all over the mountain and find the tips to be swirly at speed.

My first choice in reading the reviews, is the 2018 Brahma in a 187cm.

Thanks Again for the insight.

Seems you're on the right track with the 187 then.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Anyone having issues with binding screws ripping out or top delams? I've heard of one that was warrantied.

Saw a few of these mostly 3 seasons or so ago. Anecdotally, they all had Marker Royal bindings mounted, but I've also heard pivot/fks heel delams as well. Not many over all.

skijacksonhole

Booting up
Skier
Thank you for the excellent review, Phil. I have demoed Bonafides here in Jackson for several years, along with a lot of other skis, and I'm going to get a set of these this summer. I need a new good all purpose ski, and I've loved all the prior Bones' I've skied. Sounds like the shorter turning radius didn't compromise its charging ability. One thing I've ALWAYS loved about Blizzard skis is their beefiness, ablility to slam through crud like butter, and the fact that you do have to work them a little. Here in Jackson the rental shops won't put out of towners on Bonafides or Cochises because it kills their legs on our terrain LOL. I think that's probably being too cautious, as there's nothing better than a great run on a really great pair of skis, no matter how demanding they are. I've skied a lot of brands in the 100mm waist range, and I like the Bones the best. This year, the only ski that came close in that size to the feel of the Bonafide was maybe the Nordica Enforcer....but still, I didn't feel the ski had the 'beef', if you will, of the Bonafide. It turned like a Cadillac, but felt a little light - probably my imagination. Anyway, thanks again for your input. Always enjoy reading your reviews.

skijacksonhole

Booting up
Skier
Phil, do you happen to know the weight(s) of the new Bonafides? Maybe I missed it in your review....I'm comparing those to the new Rustler 10s that Blizzard is coming out with next year. They come in at 1850 each....I'm thinking the new Bones are still heavier than that, but not sure.

There seems to be a lot of buzz here in JH about the Rustler line...a few people have skied them and loved them. My concern is that they may be too light for crud/chewed up days, but equal to the Bones in every other respect. The Rustler 10s are 102 under foot at 180, so almost identical to the Bonafides.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am not sure of the weights but I am pretty sure he Bonafide is heavier. With that said. I did ski the Rustler in some crud at Snowbasin and it did great.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I would be torn between the 180cm and 187cm length. Hummmm

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am not sure of the weights but I am pretty sure he Bonafide is heavier. With that said. I did ski the Rustler in some crud at Snowbasin and it did great.

I've recently become interested in the Rustler 10 as a daily driver. Did you post a review somewhere? I'd like to know how it compares to the Bones.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've recently become interested in the Rustler 10 as a daily driver. Did you post a review somewhere? I'd like to know how it compares to the Bones.
Not yet, but I will. The Rustler is the Bonafides more playful brother with a great sense of humor.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not yet, but I will. The Rustler is the Bonafides more playful brother with a great sense of humor.
It's the "men's Sheeva", isn't it?
That Sheeva, oh boy was it fun! Still want to get me a pair.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's the "men's Sheeva", isn't it?
That Sheeva, oh boy was it fun! Still want to get me a pair.
Yes, the Men's Sheeva..thats exactly how they are marketing it. ;)

Motodog71

Booting up
Skier
Hi Phil - Thanks for the write up and comments! I would also like to hear more on the Rustler vs the new Bones and even a comparison with the Brahma. I had the old Bones as a one quiver and liked them a lot. I live in Tahoe expert skier that skis zipper lines, powder, lays trenches, even skin with my one quiver. I demoed the Peacemaker a year ago out of the blue and loved how with 104 under ft felt like a slalom ski but had almost the speed limit of the Bones and great in powder. I'm a slalom bump guy at heart though. The downfall of the Peacemaker is I don't like the twin tip tail find cannot get tail grip in bumps. The new Bones sound awesome for me, so does the Rustler. Or maybe I should keep my Peacemaker as my powder ski and get a second quiver Brahma for bumps and ice days in Tahoe laying trenches. How does the new Brahma compare to the old? I don't like the super wide skis for powder as like to be in the powder rather than surfing on top.

skijacksonhole

Booting up
Skier
@motodog....I demoed the Peacemaker this year, and found it to be a great powder/tree ski, but not as powerful as the Bonafide. There's just something about that added weight and burliness that really makes me love it. I've found, through trial and error, that I like 2 skis in my collection, but one of them is my 80% go-to-ski. Blizzard, particularly the Bonafide, has been that one ski I've loved over the years. I can ski on and off piste with it and feel like I'm in the zone, consistently. I have an RMU ski for my big powder days, and it's fun - but, not my daily cup of coffee. Like you, I'm wondering about the Rustler, particularly the 10. 'Playful' has usually equated to lightweight and bouncy, so I'm hesitant to even consider going in a different direction from the Bonafide as my go to, but always open to suggestions:golfclap:.

Motodog71

Booting up
Skier
@motodog....I demoed the Peacemaker this year, and found it to be a great powder/tree ski, but not as powerful as the Bonafide. There's just something about that added weight and burliness that really makes me love it. I've found, through trial and error, that I like 2 skis in my collection, but one of them is my 80% go-to-ski. Blizzard, particularly the Bonafide, has been that one ski I've loved over the years. I can ski on and off piste with it and feel like I'm in the zone, consistently. I have an RMU ski for my big powder days, and it's fun - but, not my daily cup of coffee. Like you, I'm wondering about the Rustler, particularly the 10. 'Playful' has usually equated to lightweight and bouncy, so I'm hesitant to even consider going in a different direction from the Bonafide as my go to, but always open to suggestions:golfclap:.

Thanks for your insights. Demo is the way to go. Mt Rose will have a demo day on March 26th so will give some feedback. I'm hoping will have some icy bumps to try them in as that is the harshest conditions I ski. Both the Rustler and New Bones sound awesome.

va_deb

Getting on the lift
Skier
Due in part to your excellent review, @Philpug, and since he demoed the 2017 Bonafides at Whistler and loved them, my better half is bringing his new 2018 Bones on our Tahoe trip. Also, we were happy to put the Pugski @SkiEssentials connection to good use. Jeff at SE gave us a great deal.

Thanks, guys!

va_deb

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thank you! I hope he enjoys his new Bonafides!

"Enjoy" may not be descriptive enough. I'm surprised that I haven't found him cuddling them in the morning instead of me.

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
Got on the 2018 bonafides at Louise today and loved them! Been trying to find a replacement for the old enforcers I've skied to an ugly death... these remind me of them, only 'funner'. Also skied the Rustler 10... very fun and can really lay them over, but I found them hooky... the rocker seemed too excessive and abrupt for the amount of sidecut or something... still had a blast on them, but they felt unpredictable when running straight.

Sponsor

Staff online