• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Long-Term Review: 2018 Blizzard Bonafide

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my deciding factor with a ski is when I am out and I think, "Boy if I was on XXXX today, it would be a perfect or even better day.." I was out today on the new Bonafide and I could not think of a ski that I would rather had been on. The conditions were 4-6" of medoum to light snow with some windbuff on top of a great base. Sooo good, so much fun.
I was out on my new Black Pearls today, and thought the same thing :D
Blizzard has done a great job with their 2018 line, it seems

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I was out on my new Black Pearls today, and thought the same thing :D
Blizzard has done a great job with their 2018 line, it seems

You guys, my wallet is gonna get hurt... It sounds like the new Bonafide is a ski I would love.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I feel the same way on my last years Bonafides. I am not gonna try the new ones and get the same feeling. I'm not! I'm not! I'm not! :)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
More soon, but coming from a guy who's never been wowed by the Bonafide, the '17-'18 is very good... It's like the lost love child of the old Bonefide and Rossi E-98 with some of the mystery milkman's gene pool from the Head E.R.A. tip and damp ends.

Last edited:

snoflinga

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
If someone is lighter weight can't they size down to 173? Sure you lose some float, but lighter weight people float better anyway.

I guess just wondering why suggest completely different skis instead of a size-down... 150 lbs is not really particularly light (granted I don't know their height)

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If someone is lighter weight can't they size down to 173? Sure you lose some float, but lighter weight people float better anyway.

Wood floats...and if you float, does that mean you are made out of wood and since wood burns, that means you must be a witch, burn him!!!

Yes, the 173 surely would be an option If it is what you are lookign for in a ski! (an no, while I did say surely, I didn't refer to you as Shirley.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Lighter weight people do not usually need shorter skis, they need skis that are less stiff. That's the reason why some companies make two models of the same ski, one with metal one without. Phil is correct by suggesting different models.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nice review. Any pics of the rocket profile, Phil? The way the modified tip shape integrates with rocket profile is probably critical to how the skis works in mixed snow. Also, any changes under the hood (construction/materials), because that's at least as important as the geometry. I am all in for easier to turn, unless it gets hookier in chunky snow. 18m is a bit short for a charg-ish all-mountain ski, although I ski them longer than 180, and presumably a 187 will be around 20-21m which is just about the sweet spot. If you have a demo unit, I'd be happy to hop on it at some point.

P.S. I actually like asymmetric graphics, lets you save one edge for the "oh,crap, how do I get down this" moments....
Camber is silimar to the outgoing model. Here are the tip and tail profiles...
IMG_0339.JPG
IMG_0340.JPG
IMG_0341.JPG
IMG_0335.JPG

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I guess just wondering why suggest completely different skis instead of a size-down... 150 lbs is not really particularly light (granted I don't know their height)

I actually tried this with the Bonafide, bought a first-gen 173 because the 180 was just a bit much for me (5'9" 140). I really loved the ski, but I ended up skiing it more in firm conditions, and for a 98 ski that's kind of silly. I had another 98 that was longer and softer, and just better for me all around, so I sold the Bone. If you are 5'4" 140, maybe the 173 makes more sense, but for my height, I like a little more length in a less stiff ski. (I am not an adherent to the mantra that a ski knows how heavy you are but not how tall you are.)

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Nice review.

It sounds like the changes are good. Almost like the ski is aging gracefully, which is something I aspire to! :D

As I age gracefully (I hope) I should perhaps go to this years Bonifide.!

Still love my 2012 Bones that @Tricia sold me as my primary ski ! Except I had to scrape off the stupid metal bull decal.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Thx for the review Phil. Looks like the new Bones are a great option as a daily driver for Colorado resorts. Are they good in the bumps and off trail (chopped up powder and old powder), trees, etc? when it has not snowed in a week.

What you mentioned about what happened to the Bones throughout the years is exactly what turned me off of them.

I need to comment on my own post after demoing the 187cm Bonafides (2016's) absolutely loved the skis and found them easy to ski all day. They handled resort skiing very very well all over the mountain. Not as damp as the Monster 88's but close and more versatile with the tip rocker and extra width.

Now I question whether I even want the newer version.

snoflinga

Skier
Not to hijack this too much further, but since we talked a bit about ski lengths for lighter people, what are people's opinions about "ski width equivalence" for lighter people? Could lighter people go for a somewhat narrower ski and achieve a similar experience to a heavier guy on a wider one? I imagine this might be true for float purposes but perhaps there are other aspects like crud-busting where it might not be.

I mean, say for the sake of argument you have a 140 lb person and a 170 lb person. So how might they fare on an 81mm width ski vs. the 170 pounder on a 98mm ski (same percentage difference)? I have no idea, but a wild guess might be they still need something closer to 88mm at least.

Physics-wise I guess the kinetic energy at speed being 1/2 mv^2 kinda diminishes the mass contribution but I'm not sure how that equation works out at typical skiing speeds. Well hang on I guess at the same velocity the only difference is the mass so it's the same...

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I weigh 135 lbs (unless I've been eating ice cream and cookies for a couple weeks)
I like a powder ski that is closer to the 100-105 range. I talk to others who like powder skis that are 110 or wider.
So, yeah, it can make a difference. Skills can also make a difference.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Phil one question, is the 2018 Bonafide more stable than the <2017 models?

I really liked the 2016-2017 Bonafide in 184cm. If anything I sometimes wished for a bit more dampness in the front half of the ski akin to what the Monster 88 had which was really nice. Regarding ease of skiing it was a dead easy ski to ski for me from the first turn to the last of the day. Loved it. Maybe I should look into the Monster 98 as well?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil one question, is the 2018 Bonafide more stable than the <2017 models?

I really liked the 2016-2017 Bonafide in 184cm. If anything I sometimes wished for a bit more dampness in the front half of the ski akin to what the Monster 88 had which was really nice. Regarding ease of skiing it was a dead easy ski to ski for me from the first turn to the last of the day. Loved it. Maybe I should look into the Monster 98 as well?
I skied these pretty fast, as fast as I ever skied the outgoing model and no chatter noticed. If you are looking for a little more dampness, the Monster 98 might be what you are looking for.

James Luke

Skier
I am a big guy (6'2" 250lbs). I have the Enforcer 93 and I feel like I found the top end with this ski. I have skied it all over the hill both East Coast and Western Mountains. Would the Bonafide or even the new Brahma be a good alternate choice? What about a 187cm vs the 180cm?

Thanks for your thoughts.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I am a big guy (6'2" 250lbs). I have the Enforcer 93 and I feel like I found the top end with this ski. I have skied it all over the hill both East Coast and Western Mountains. Would the Bonafide or even the new Brahma be a good alternate choice? What about a 187cm vs the 180cm?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes. The new Bonafide will have more active tip engagement and feel like they ski longer without feeling cumbersome. Generally at your size, the choice of 180 vs 87 will be more about where and how you ski. More info will help as will knowing what your ski and gear history.

James Luke

Skier
I ski 50+ days a year. I coach a ski team based at a small mountain in the east. I have a slew of skis ranging from race skis to RMU BLS. I purchased the E93 (185cm) last year as a "personal time" ski, predominately for the east. I have ski's out west, so the the next purchase will be to replace the E93 or possibly add to it, for the east coast. I love the E93 in the bumps and softer snow, but since that has been a rare find here this year, I am skiing it all over the mountain and find the tips to be swirly at speed.

My first choice in reading the reviews, is the 2018 Brahma in a 187cm.

Thanks Again for the insight.

James

Out There
Instructor
Anyone having issues with binding screws ripping out or top delams? I've heard of one that was warrantied.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid