• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Liners or New Boots — General Confirmation Sought

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's partially true. Getting a comfortable fit is relatively easy with heat molding. It still requires quite a bit of skill and experience to get a really good tight fit.
I have seen a few pairs of Fischer Vac (on friends) butchered at other shops. They end up getting it remolded at a different shop just to be safe.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Very true, but now Junior BootFitter apprentice who only has 2years of experience can help a customer get close to the same results as the Master with the fischer vacuum. All the 20year old Master bootfitter needs to do is 5min or less to do the review or verification of the junior bootfitter's selection then set him and the customer off to do the process, while he can go off and work on the harder cases (or sit back and relax and shoot the breeze with the other veterans.

IMHO, the Fischer system is pretty easy to screw up.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Agreed, but that's why I gave the Junior guy 2 years of experience in the hypothetical scenario, and not 0. While it can be screwed up, it doesn't have so many complexities of troubleshooting or different diagnosis and options. It has a correct right way process and procedure of what to do, and maybe just a few choices along the way that can easily be spot checked by the Master.

With 2 seasons of supervised moldings under the Master; he should be able to have the technique down by that time or fired or shifted to a different job if he doesn't get it and still screwing up people's boots.

Last edited:

snofun3

Putting on skis
Skier
I've been through the whole gamut of boots for very fat (104) feet, with various protrusions thrown in just for fun.

So...... Vacuums - COLD, like REALLY cold. I used boot gloves and Therm-ic 1200's, and they were still COLD. Daleboot - OLD moulds - after I saw them I was done.

So today, I'm in a pair of Nordica Cruise 110 (3 pairs in various locations). Initially I got them at Surefoot for a birthday present to myself. They did a very good job of fitting me, but even them, the heel pocket was too large. I visited my son at Aspen this winter and brought another pair that I put some old intuitions that I had in my Atomic Live Fits. OMG, they fit great, and they were warm!

Back in SLC, got back into the Surefoots, and again we had to do some work. Up to WB (second Surefoot pair) and after a day of being cold, I walked into Fanatyko and they put some Intuition Powerwraps in them - complete bliss. Now I have 2 pairs of $400 liners sitting around looking at me.

Answer to question - get a good fitting shell and some Intuitions.