• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Liners or New Boots — General Confirmation Sought

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Yeah, Blaylock, but they'll have insufficient stock until next fall — nothing in a wide last, currently (which is fine — I can save up :D).

When I say "park boots," I'm not using official nomenclature, just extrapolating from what seem like park and freeride preferences: that cabrio forward flex thing and a low cuff.

I'm afraid my choices are limited. I want a performance fit in a boot that supports technical skiing, but I don't want the Spanish Inquisition.

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
They're available in other brands, Salomon and Atomic frex, but yes that is an example.
[/QUOTE]

I don't know for sure. They work for some people. I'd prefer to trust a boot fitter on that question. The dealings I've had with Blaylock make me think he's a straight shooter.

I suppose I could go for a custom boot, but I do love my wife, and I haven't won the lottery yet — and even if I did win the lottery, what? Dale Boot? Strolz? Not Surefoot.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm not even joking except ironically - there were at least 4pairs at Stowe on my last visit and I reckon they can do a layup to fit just about any foot you bring, at a price.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you do get a custom moldable shell, (not the fully custom built-to-order), perhaps still start with a shop that does do fischer vacuum, even if you end up not getting a fischer vacuum boot.

A shop could still use the fischer system as a tool on a non-fischer boot to also add the compression during the customization, instead of expansion only that the xmax or the atomics advertise. I recall there were some posts from someone on epic saying they got good results that way.

Potentially though, the shop may not stock too many competing similar boots. It is still important that the shell is closest off the shelf, rather than counting too much on the molding.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
unless you LOVE your boots and are certain they are the ones for you....new boot from my perspective.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Gary Longley at Startingate on Route 30 off the Stratton access road been doing my boots for close to 40 years. He does Fischer Vac & Atomic. I got my 3 pairs of Fischer vacs from him. He really knows his stuff when it come to heat molded boots. Also carries a full selections of Head, Lange and Delbello.
One of the best boot guy around there. Lots of the SMS racer goes to him.
Yes, I have seen him do a SMS racer in a Atomic on the Fischer machine last season.

From the way things are looking now, I'll probably end up on the Fischer machine with a new pair of Atomic come Nov. I like a tight fit.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I considered that conundrum a few years ago. My boots were canted and ground in a couple of places. I loved them, but the liner was shot. The $$$ difference between new boots and new liners wasn't particularly great. I opted for new boots and in the process discovered I no longer needed the more aggressive canting I had on my previous boots - by and large stance issues could now be resolved with a footbed.

So unintentionally I made the right call

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Some of the new Custom Shells get complient enough where much of the canting can be done in the mold process. Back the OP, @Read Blinn, I would suggest all new boots, while the Boss might fit you in width, there are better and more efficient shell designs now that available. Without seeing your foot, I/we would have no idea what to suggest or where to start, thats why you need to see a fitter in person.

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I would also consider that two things might have changed since you bought the shells: your skiing aggresiveness and your body.

In my second and best experience buying boots (@bud heishman ), the conversation started at my ski level and aspirations. And the fit started at getting me into shells that would require little customization.

Good luck with this!

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Read Blinn You buy new liners when overall the boots are great but the liners fell apart. Intuitions are great. When the shell doesn't do what you need, it's time for new boots. Nothing worse than your equipment holding you back.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I do. But the liner problem is pretty obvious. The mid-buckle (the Boss is a cabrio) is entirely cranked down, and the ankle pain is evident, and new. At 116 days, packing elsewhere in the boot might not have happened, but at pressure points, it has.

The Boss liners are pretty soft from the get go. It's also a high volume boot, so wondering if that might need to be revisited. On replacement liners, doing a Boot Doc foam liner is only worth it if you really like your shells and they're serviceable, etc... You're on the fence, and don't like how they flex. You've answered that question. Intuitions can be re-cooked if you buy a new shell, an yes, they'll fill some extra volume over your instep... for a while, but if the boot has too much volume, it won't matter. You'll have spent $250 for a temporary solution for a boot you don't really like. Again, you've answered your question,

The shop... There's no way they're going to have the range of stock on hand that they'll have in October. An honest shop this time of year will say," yes, what we have left is on sale and we may have a good boot for you, but there's a very good possibility we won't." These are your boots. IMHO, I'd BOTH find another shop AND wait until October unless you know exactly what boot and which shell size works for you and they happen to have a pair. Sounds like you're in transition and need a good fitter.

Last one... Speaking only for myself here and will undoubtably offend Dalbello cabrio boot owners, but I see very few (I'm sure there are exceptions... Josh likes his and I'm sure he's fine) skiers flex their ankles well in this design. The whole upright thing, again, IMHO had gotten to be sort of a blanket mantra that ignores individual anatomy and skier needs. All that above? Yup. New boots.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
E.g. Fischer vacuum?

Plastic is plastic, just different ways to change the shape. There are plenty of wider last boots. Lange even makes some of the RS boots in a wide. You've got options... depending on your feet. ogsmile

TS
Read Blinn

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Ok — confirmation obtained.

Thanks @markojp. I have a high-volume foot that needs a high-volume boot. :D Even the Boss needed sixth toe punches, and my fitter may have upsized me a touch as well. (I was coming out of a used boot two sizes too large.) As far as the shop is concerned, when the fitter in my story said I didn't need an appointment, I was out the door. I'll be seeing another fitter next fall.

@Philpug, I've got my shop lined up — Nick Blaylock at Snow. I'm transitioning from another good fitter.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Plastic is plastic, just different ways to change the shape. There are plenty of wider last boots. Lange even makes some of the RS boots in a wide. You've got options... depending on your feet. ogsmile

Very true, but now Junior BootFitter apprentice who only has 2years of experience can help a customer get close to the same results as the Master with the fischer vacuum. All the 20year old Master bootfitter needs to do is 5min or less to do the review or verification of the junior bootfitter's selection then set him and the customer off to do the process, while he can go off and work on the harder cases (or sit back and relax and shoot the breeze with the other veterans.