• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Let me check some photos ... we tried / tasted the following:
  • Masterson's 10yo rye
  • Knob Creek
  • A.D Laws Secale Straight Rye
  • Elijah Craig Single Barrel 18yo
  • Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo
  • Jim Beam PX Sherry Cask 100 proof
Great…no, amazing list! What bar was this?

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
Er, I'll have to check google street view to answer that one. We headed there because our waiter at Smuggler's Brewpub said he was playing in a band that evening (Thursday nights) in that particular bar, and 'live music' is the magic phrase for my GF. It's on the main street, diagonally across the intersection from the Last Dollar Saloon and Brown Dog Pizza, next to an old bank building which is on the corner, with a large stained glass window on the second floor. Junction of West Colorado / East Colorado. Wait one ...

... OK, it was the Floradora Saloon. Here's a cut-out from a review online:

"Department of Deliciousness, March 2017 After hitting a few bars in Telluride, I found that good cocktails were hard to come by. When I made it to Floradora, i was pleasantly surprised by the comprehensive whiskey list. The list also included flights of different types which allowed me to try some new brands as well as my standbys."

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Er, I'll have to check google street view to answer that one. We headed there because our waiter at Smuggler's Brewpub said he was playing in a band that evening (Thursday nights) in that particular bar, and 'live music' is the magic phrase for my GF. It's on the main street, diagonally across the intersection from the Last Dollar Saloon and Brown Dog Pizza, next to an old bank building which is on the corner, with a large stained glass window on the second floor. Junction of West Colorado / East Colorado. Wait one ...

... OK, it was the Floradora Saloon. Here's a cut-out from a review online:

"Department of Deliciousness, March 2017 After hitting a few bars in Telluride, I found that good cocktails were hard to come by. When I made it to Floradora, i was pleasantly surprised by the comprehensive whiskey list. The list also included flights of different types which allowed me to try some new brands as well as my standbys."

Floradora has good food, too!

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
20170402_163522_HDR_resized.jpg
Just got this on recent trip to California . I have never seen it in Ontario. Apparently its 'cheated'. heated cheated .Spell check won't let me spell wheat ed

GettingThere

Booting up
Skier
That's a nice kick in the pants!
CGeib brought Phil a bottle of 111.6 proof Makers Mark, which was a solid kick :rocks:

Bit late to the party on this thread. But, yeah, barrel/cask proofs easily run 120-140 proof. More alcohol per sip - I'm all about efficiency. Recently had a chance to taste "white lightning" - yuck!

GettingThere

Booting up
Skier
Anyone like Angels Envy? Bit on the pricey side. Jim Beam also makes Basil Hayden which I like. Actually I'm discovering that I'm quite non-discriminatory when it comes to drinking bourbon - an equal opportunity drinker.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anyone like Angels Envy? Bit on the pricey side. Jim Beam also makes Basil Hayden which I like. Actually I'm discovering that I'm quite non-discriminatory when it comes to drinking bourbon - an equal opportunity drinker.
We've had that a fair bit. Really nice. We have so many that we want to try and so many favorites. ....

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Talisker is my go to, Laphroiag 10y is also a staple. Mixed with air in a glass. MAYBE in the summer one (1) ice cube made with spring or well water. Not a fan of highland scotches.
Makers Mark and Woodfords reserve. Jack Daniels to mix.
If you havent tried Wild Turkey rye, you owe it to yourself. It is a lot better than the price point suggests.

As to the "e" in whisky, If the country of origin has a E in it, there is a e in the whiskey. Scotland produces Whisky, The United StatEs produces Whiskey.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Talisker is my go to, Laphroiag 10y is also a staple. Mixed with air in a glass. MAYBE in the summer one (1) ice cube made with spring or well water. Not a fan of highland scotches.
Makers Mark and Woodfords reserve. Jack Daniels to mix.
If you havent tried Wild Turkey rye, you owe it to yourself. It is a lot better than the price point suggests.

As to the "e" in whisky, If the country of origin has a E in it, there is a e in the whiskey. Scotland produces Whisky, The United StatEs produces Whiskey.
@Andy Mink and his wife gave me a bottle of Laphroiag for my 50th birthday. Its a bottle to savor. I think I have a tiny bit left because its one of those things you sip by a fire after a great powder day. I recall opening the bottle and smelling smoke.
There are other scotches to drink with friends while you're visiting and not really paying attention to the scotch itself.

:rocks:
@Varmintmist perhaps you'll enjoy some of our emojis

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Andy Mink and his wife gave me a bottle of Laphroiag for my 50th birthday. Its a bottle to savor. I think I have a tiny bit left because its one of those things you sip by a fire after a great powder day. I recall opening the bottle and smelling smoke.
There are other scotches to drink with friends while you're visiting and not really paying attention to the scotch itself.

Savor? Little bit left? We just gave that to you yesterday afternoon! JUST KIDDING!

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier

The laphroiag 10y is actually one of the less peaty of the line IMHO. If you go 1/4 cask or the triple wood, those are ones to pull out on special occasions.
If you liked that, try Talisker. It is still peaty, but since it is from Skye it is a bit different

Main Street

Just livin life.
Skier

All Whisky should be shared with friends. :)

Good whisky especially,...... Straight up, no ice, neat,..... as the gods intended.

:beercheer:

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
I forgot Tullamore Dew for the Irish side and occasional sipping.

Good scotch CAN be had with water. Not drowned, but a splash (just a splash) of non chlorinated, untreated spring or well water will bring out different flavors. A small ice cube is fun because you drop one in about 2-3 fingers, and you are drinking neat, as you go the flavor changes. Its a nice change once in a while.

Anyone putting good single malt in a glass with anything more than a splash of good water should kick themselves in the junk.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@SBrown shared this link on a question that @Doug Briggs had about some "particles" in his nice bottle of bourbon.
Particulate in your bottle?

Really interesting read.

So the really interesting part is that it another online article suggested that the liquor be placed somewhere warm and the phenols would likely disappear. I put mine in a warm spot and the floaters remained.

20170427_153448_Queen Of The West Road.jpg

This is A. D Law 4 Grain Straight Bourbon; http://www.lawswhiskeyhouse.com/ I've tried to determine if the whiskey is filtered or not, but neither their site nor reviews say one way or the other. A. D. Laws doesn't publish their email so I can't email them a picture to ask. Any knowledge out there about what I'm seeing here?

Sponsor

Staff online