• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lets talk about bourbon, scotch and whiskey

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
So we started a $30 (or less) Bourbon Challenge at the ski house this season. Rules are simple 750 ml, 30 dollars or less.
We are into week five, need to cut back on the Saturday Night tasting, well more like flight(s) to provide attitude adjustment for Sunday Morning

Week
1. Bulleit Frontier Whisky
2. Old Grand Dad Bonded, 100 proof, WOW
3. Buffalo Trace
4. Redemption bourbon
5. Old Forester 86 Proof

So far Old Grand Dad is the favorite

We are up to seven now
6. Eagle Rare
7. Larceny http://www.larcenybourbon.com/home/

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So we started a $30 (or less) Bourbon Challenge at the ski house this season. Rules are simple 750 ml, 30 dollars or less.
We are into week five, need to cut back on the Saturday Night tasting, well more like flight(s) to provide attitude adjustment for Sunday Morning

Week
1. Bulleit Frontier Whisky
2. Old Grand Dad Bonded, 100 proof, WOW
3. Buffalo Trace
4. Redemption bourbon
5. Old Forester 86 Proof

So far Old Grand Dad is the favorite

how about 1792?
Its $49 in ontario, has to be close to $30 where you are

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Have not seen 1792, will look for that

This weeks entry
View attachment 19715

Hi Jimmy,
I'd love to spend a night in the house sipping bourbon, not sure how I'd ski the next day. Tried some Granddad 100, not quite as mellow as my Makers Mike ( ok Makers Mark, also 100). We've got to figure a way to make some turns.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Makers Mike, That'd be a good handle. Yes mike i think the last time we made turns together was in Big Sky? Old Grandad BIB is on the spicy side. I have not found Makers in the price range yet but...................................

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
I'd love to spend a night in the house sipping bourbon, not sure how I'd ski the next day.
Solved that problem by doing the bourbon sipping during the day. Although doing some sampling in the Gondola at 8 AM earned us some funny looks.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
we should have bought two of most of those but it kept us busy and away from the speakeasies, mostly

sonnyc

Booting up
Skier
Just got the Glenfiddich from work. Heard it is nice. The black label 12 is surprisingly good though.
IMG_1287.JPG

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
20170222_064147_HDR_resized.jpg
I enjoyed this immensely on my recent trip to Jackson. It worked well as a joint lubricant in the hot tub.

sinbad7

Getting on the lift
Skier
Your Challenge ought to include Woodford Reserve, W L Weller Special Reserve, Eagle Rare, and a couple-three ryes like Crown Royal Northern Harvest rye (thank me later), Sazerac 6 year old, and maybe Rittenhouse. But that Old Grand Dad BiB is a great bargain.

I bought Rittenhouse rye for our recent trip through Telluride, Vegas and over to San Jose. Certainly under $30, so it qualifies for the challenge. Good stuff if you like your booze towards the heavy / spicy end of the spectrum. I preferred it with a tiny drop of water added, which is odd for my taste, but at 100 proof it just needed to be softened a little.

In Telluride I ended up in a tasting / sipping session with a bartender, forevermore to be called "the night of the Bourbons". Head was sore the next morning, although I'm proud to say I made first lifts.

Let me check some photos ... we tried / tasted the following:
  • Masterson's 10yo rye
  • Knob Creek
  • A.D Laws Secale Straight Rye
  • Elijah Craig Single Barrel 18yo
  • Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo
  • Jim Beam PX Sherry Cask 100 proof
And these are just the ones I photographed once we got going and I decided to 'take notes'. We were still going after lock-out as the bar guys were cleaning up. Did I mention I love Telluride?

Last edited: