• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lance in the news -When will this end?

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Doing what he had to do to dominate not survive. His kids were hardly begging at soup kitchens.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I realise this is perilously close to political asshattery given the living saint status Lance still seems to have in parts of the US but what the hell Tricia started it so it's fair game.

Huh. I race at a pretty high level, and live in a town the lives and breathes biking.

Every single person I know despises Lance, in no small part because he pulled the wool over our eyes, and we all rooted so hard for him.

Also, there is the fact that he was/is willing to throw anyone and everyone else under the bus to save himself.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Personality -- or public perceptions of it -- go a long way in sports, and especially when things go south.
Kobe Bryant/Mike Tyson, Mark McGuire/Barry Bonds

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
How do sports fans, even casual sports fans, not understand that chemistry plays an enormous roll in sports above the HS level? All sports. OF COURSE Lance was enhanced, so what? If that took you by surprise... what the heck were you paying attention to over the last 25 years of watching sports?

If an athlete is doing something 'never thought possible'... there is probably a really good reason (hint: drugs).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Personality -- or public perceptions of it -- go a long way in sports, and especially when things go south.
Kobe Bryant/Mike Tyson, Mark McGuire/Barry Bonds
As I was reading this, I thought about what if MLB and the SF Giants sued Barry Bonds for defamation of their character. IMHO Bud Seilig should be the one that shold take the heat for the steriods era..I cannot be convinced that he didn't know what was happening as the stats sky rocketed and he benefitted as attendance rose.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
How do sports fans, even casual sports fans, not understand that chemistry plays an enormous roll in sports above the HS level? All sports. OF COURSE Lance was enhanced, so what?

Well the slight problem of it being against the rules and the extent of the cover up and the ruining of other people's lives to do so.

I wasn't in the slightest bit surprised but I'm prepared to give sports stars the benefit of the doubt until caught and then despise them afterwards.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lance was easy to dislike even when he was winning. Easier now.

Not sure if USPS has a case but I am wondering if there was not something in each cyclists contract regarding PEDs.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I was a Navy Contracting Officer and have some experience in breach of government contracts, etc. It would be interesting to see the actual contract between the USPS and Lance's team to see what, if any, clauses there are about what constitutes a breach of contract. Also it would be interesting to see if there is a morals clause. Then there is the problem that the contract was completed and final payment probably was made. So they have to claim fraud in order to claw back any of the money that was paid to the team.

This will be fun to watch. Glad I'm not involved with the litigation team. It's going to be cut throat. I wonder if the government is out for blood or if they will negotiate a settlement.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
All right, who knows this quote (and no fair looking it up on Google); who said this and where?

"Put me back on my bike..."

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure if USPS has a case but I am wondering if there was not something in each cyclists contract regarding PEDs.

I'm sure there was. Everyone has to dope, all the time , for the good of the team!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
FWIW, I think nothing less of the USPS because if Lance.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I actually think all this lawsuits are complete BS. USPS, Trek, Nike, Giro etc. who were all so happy to ditch Lance once avalanche started had all the money invested in Lance and his teams (as it's more then just USPS) returned several times. On the other side, if someone thinks, it's fair for Trek to sue Lance now for "bad publicity" or whatever reason is, can I then bring my 10 years old Trek which I bought as I wanted to be like Lance (ok I didn't and never owned Trek, and most likely never will, but let's assume it's not fictional), and Trek gives me money back, as I was cheated? If Trek will do this, then yes, please go and sue Lance. If they will just laugh at me, then stop this BS, as you got all the money back and you didn't lose anything.
PS: No I don't like Lance, he was complete as**hole when still racing, so I was never his fan, but I do still consider him as 7 times TdF winner.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
sorry..just came across this and had to post :P

58ae597cb26633766df08bf05bb5dee9.jpg

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
FWIW, I think nothing less of the USPS because if Lance.

You are correct... it was a mighty low bar long before LA got involved.

Imagine if you will the incredible inefficiency of having a person walk house to house to put paper in each of their mailboxs.
It boggles the mind.

Sponsor

Staff online