• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Junior Worlds.....

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Junior Alpine World Champs got underway today, in Are Sweden.

Two BIG wins today in the DH. Alice Merryweather and Sam Morse of the USA took the top step on the podiums. Both born in 1996. Both Eastern kids. Alice is a Stratton Mountain School Alum. Sam is a native of Carrabassett Valley, Maine and a graduate of CVA.

It doesn't get any bigger than Jr. Worlds for a U21. Huge. Alice is leading the NorAm DH standings. This is still huge. Some very familiar names have won before.

River Radamus, the youngest American in the men's field was 10th today. Huge future ahead of him, too.

Great start for the American kids. Nice day for the Canadians, as well. This while field is great. It's a great event to watch if you ever have a chance. I recall seeing Hirscher at 18 and thinking "you'll be seeing a lot of this guy!".

Congrats!

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
We've known Sam since he was a toddler. He is a very hard worker, great athlete, and very bright. Comes from a great family. The kid is really well grounded. Humble yet confident. There is a young group who if managed well could really be exceptional.

Fingers crossed!

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
Are these kids USST, or collegiate racers or on their 3rd PG year, or what? How does this work?

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
The key thing is that they are all U21's. They are almost all in the USST system. I think that one of the USST UNI guy's is there. And one guy who will be joining the team this spring. Sam Morse abd Alice are on the C team, for example. I think there are three girls there who are not yet on the USST.

Most top college racers have "aged out" of this.

Not unusual to have athletes there who are skiing a full WC schedule. I think the Swiss have at least two in that category. This is a big time event. None of these kids are racing in "junior" competitions elsewhere.

The top series for U16's is the Seven Nations Cup, which took place in Austria a few weeks ago. Best in the world. An American boy won the GS , and was second in the SL. Kellen Kinsella from Ski Club Vail. The USA has done very well at this event over the past few years.

Hope they do well the rest of the week. Sam was 5th in the SG today. Sam Mulligan of Canada was 4th. American girls had a tougher day. One top 10, three DNF's. Everybody is gunning for it. Austrian women not only swept the podium, they went 1-4. Impressive.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually a pretty decent result (9th) for Mo Lebel from Squaw this morning in women's SG. She is also one of the athletes that has been supported through the Far West Masters Scholarship program. I was riding the lift with her sister this morning at the Squaw WC and they were pretty stoked about it, particularly as she is only 18-19

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
Men's combined today. Two future stars for the USA doing very well. River Radamus in second. Sam Morse winning the SG leg, and finishing 6th. Three Canadian guys in the top 13! Nice skiing.

Sam is probably on a plane, as by winning the DH, he gets to make his first WC DH start in Aspen at WC Finals. That is huge!

My hunch is that me might see Sam's SL career winding down as he has a big future as a downhiller!

And remember RR. He is the VERY real deal. Youngest guy on the USST D team. 1998.

Fun stuff!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Actually a pretty decent result (9th) for Mo Lebel from Squaw this morning in women's SG. She is also one of the athletes that has been supported through the Far West Masters Scholarship program. I was riding the lift with her sister this morning at the Squaw WC and they were pretty stoked about it, particularly as she is only 18-19
Mo is a great young lady. She comes from a strong race family, her brother Scottie was also real fast. I recall workng at Start Haus, parents woudl come in asking what (as in wax) was on Scotties skis to make them go so fast. The usual reply was, "You want to know what is on Scotties skis that makes them so fast? Scottie."

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
Mo is a great young lady. She comes from a strong race family, her brother Scottie was also real fast. I recall workng at Start Haus, parents woudl come in asking what (as in wax) was on Scotties skis to make them go so fast. The usual reply was, "You want to know what is on Scotties skis that makes them so fast? Scottie."

LOVE IT! Perfect!

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
I'll just add that Sam and River are incredible young guys. Bright, engaging, respectful and fun. Sam finished his HS years a year early, as valedictorian. For those who tend to stereotype "racer kids", I think you would be pleasantly shocked to meet this team. Think of Mikaela.....

I have known Sam most of his life. First met River a number of years ago. Have seen a lot of these "kids." Good future for the USST.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
So we can come to a consensus on Erik Arvidsson. On the US team but very Swedish.

Don't have the lo-down, he been injured?

HaHa. Think we'll keep him! His dad was quite an athlete, correct? And Erik has dual citizenship, I imagine?

I don't think he's injured. I think he's been skiing the full NorAm schedule and a bunch of Europa Cups all season. Also skiing all disciplines. That seems to be a switch for the USST. Not as quick to push the young guys to speed OR tech as a few years ago.