• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Junior skis

Matt Smith

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I doubt there is anywhere to get true reviews on junior skis. But are there any sites that compare them, or have a break down of specs? Just wondering if there is an easier way to compare them other than visiting a dozen different sites and checking each ski one at a time.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What are you looking for in particular? Race, Recreational or All Mountain.

TS
M

Matt Smith

Skier
Race for skier cross, and freestyle (park) for slopestyle

TS
M

Matt Smith

Skier
9 years old
Female
4' 7"
75 pounds

TS
M

Matt Smith

Skier
I was looking at K2 missy for park. Don't know about skier cross yet. She's pretty good on the park side, but just started a little practice on the skier cross at the end of this season. Says that she wants to start competing at cross this coming season.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Paging @dean_spirito to the white courtesy phone. Dean was a freeride coach for Team Summit so he had his kids on the product you are looking for. The main thing I look for in a kids ski is that they can bend it. The Missy is a nice ski and in all but the shortest lengths bends well. For the skier cross ski, look to a GS ski and where a GS ski gets sized from the top of the head to 4" above, stay closer to the forehead to top of the head for the skier cross. There are some good combi skthat will also work, a little more sidecut and maneuverable. Since this will be her first time trying it, I woudl lean to the combi ski then work into a GS if she enjoys and in successful at it.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
2nd the recommendation of a GS ski for Ski-X

TS
M

Matt Smith

Skier
Something like the Head Worldcup I.GS RD Team

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I'm going to page @BGreen, who has a lot of experience {current} coaching young racers. Might have some specific thoughts on GS skis.

My home club/academy has a good sized and growing ski and boarder cross program. GS skis are used, and my impression is that that they are skied just a touch on the short side.
I'm still a bit more in tune with older kids!

One of the most amazing skis that I have freeskied, BTW, is a WC {skied on the WC} Stockli SX, 193cm. Was built for a big guy. The ski had three layers of metal, a lot of rubber and would snake and track over anything. Radius was a bit under 30M.

I think at her age there are a ton of GS options. At the U14 ages, it's hard to find one that is not a good ski.

Last edited:

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks @Muleski for the shoutout, but I'm not sure I have much to add to the discussion as I have no empirical data and have not taken part in ski testing either last year or this season, to mention nothing of the fact I don't know anything about skier cross. I tend to size skis for junior athletes by height and technical efficiency more than by weight. Flex of the ski is a bit of an X-factor that needs to be considered. For example, I put a very strong and technically efficient U10 boy on 122 SL and IIRC 144 GS Rossignols because they were very stiff, much moreso than other sizes. I know it's cliché but this is really a conversation to have with her coaches for two reasons. First, they know her skiing and can provide the best recommendation. Second, they may have information on club demo days or know of reps who can provide demo skis.

All that aside, all skis are not equal. This isn't to say that one is necessarily better than another, but they are different. Also, while most skier cross athletes use a GS ski, SX is not GS and you will want different qualities in the ski. Many of my athletes like the feel of a livlier GS ski, but in SX I would think a smoother feeling ski that takes less input from the snow surface would be beneficial. Heads and Fischers tend to be damper, smoother skis while Rossi/Dynastar and Nordica tend to be a bit snappier. Rossignol has skis available in several lenghts, sidecuts and flexes, but they aren't obvious. In the example above, I put that boy in the 122 slalom because the 132 slalom was very soft and the 122 felt like a pint size world cup ski.

Off the top of my head, I would say to look for about a 135-140 GS, 14m radius that can change directions quickly (doesn't really get locked into a turn), but is stiff enough not to take snow input and won't throw her if the ski is unloaded quickly. Honestly, I wouldn't sweat it. It is very hard to get a bad ski. The Nordica GS in a 135 or 142 is great and will be a little quicker feeling than some other skis without feeling snappy. The Head that you are looking at, probably in a 138 would be a great option. Either the Dynastar or Rossignol GS with the R20 plate in the 135 is an option but also look at the 144 in that ski, even if it seems a touch long. A lot of kids really like Fischers, Volkls, and Atomics but I don't know much about them, though Fischers are very popular because they are heavy and damp, but still soft and supple. I had a U14 girl who went back and forth between Fischers and Dynastars this year, arguably skis at opposite ends of the spectrum (Dynastars tend to be light and stiff). She has always skied Dynastars and ultimately ended up on them, but I noticed that on race days she would always warm up on the Fischer because the soft, damp, supple feel became her security blanket. After a few runs on them, the world was good again. If she warmed up on her Dynastars she would often feel unprepared or unsettled in the start because it was a ski you had to always be ahead of.

EDIT: Going back and thinking about her weight, if she is technically strong, I would look more at a 140-145 ski. She may overpower a 135 which would lead to double turning. The kids I've had on a 135 GS were closer to 50 lb. than 75. I had a U14 who is about your daughter's size and we put her on a 150. The shorter skis she would overpower and double turn.

Last edited: