• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Jackson Hole: February 25 - March 4

falcon_o

Getting on the lift
Skier
After four powder days followed by two in blazing sunshine ending the week with a total 500 inches of natural snow this was the best of my five visits to JH EVER. The groomers were soft and fast never becoming icy by day's end. But the place to be was in the bowls, trees and chutes (selection dependent upon size of one's kahonneys). The Hobacks which, without fresh snow may need to be avoided proved to be outstanding. Moose and deer were seen both wandering in town and on the slopes.

Beyond skiing there are ample choices for après ski including - in town - the Snake River microbrewery, the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar, The Silver Dollar Bar and on the hill a must stop at the Mangy Moose. For a different taste a day trip to Grand Targhee is worth a peek although while my midweek visit found awesome snow it was also plagued by zero visibility. Locals often refer to it as Grand Foggy. Snowmobiling in Yellowstone or a dinner sleigh ride on an elk preserve are also options if you want to take a day off.

As I am an old dog I pulled my 2008 vintage Volkl Gotama's out of the attic which proved to be an excellent choice for the week. The last time I had snapped into them was at least 8 years ago but still a great ski.

If you have never been to JH you must put it on your bucket list - great skiing, town and people. Pictures speak volumes:

100_0125.JPG 100_0126.JPG 100_0127.JPG 100_0128.JPG 100_0129.JPG 100_0141.JPG 100_0143.JPG 100_0177.JPG 100_0183.JPG 11864.jpeg image3.JPG image5.JPG IMG_1923.JPG 100_0106.JPG 100_0117.JPG

Last edited:

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
Do you have any advice about finding affordable lodging in Jackson hole? My husband and I are grad students on a shoestring budget. We have a voucher for a free companion flight from his CC company and a few days at Jackson Hole & Big Sky are included on our season pass. We just have to find affordable lodging (<70/night) to make it work.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Lots of motels in town pretty cheap. Motel 6 is clean, plenty of rooms in winter and near a Kmart, Dominos, Albertsons and assorted other eating/suppliesplaces

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
Super 8 is the other obvious choice. If you stay in town, there may be a couple of other choices around or slightly higher than that price.

hollyberry

Putting on skis
Skier
Did any of you rent a car while you were in Jackson Hole? Were you able to rent something 4WD? Or are there any buses that go from town to the resort?

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
I drive from my home to Jackson so I have not rented cars. There are buses tomTeton Village and a number of hotels provide a private shuttle. I have never used them however. The 49er will be one of the typically less expensive motels to offer a shuttle.