• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

It ain't gonna drink itself!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
First hard cider i ever had that i liked. Just a little bit of sweetness, much more flavor. Good choice :)
I'm not a beer fan so hard cider is often my option when I go somewhere that has "on tap options" I'm not a fan of super sweet ciders, but I find some of the less sweet options more like a Prosecco and less like a cider. This particular one, Hibiscus Saison- Common has been a favorite of mine since I had it at Mt Rose a while back.
This place is worth checking out.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was at a place in Petaluma called Brewsters (I think it's new). They had a few beer/cider mixes. I didn't try since I do like beer and ciders are too sweet for me, but they looked interesting.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, right? I like that idea. Looked up Henhouse — of course it started in Petaluma (the former Chicken Capital of the World), where old chicken sheds are a dime a dozen. I once worked for a massage table manufacturer in a converted chicken shed there, an interesting locale during Loma Prieta.
I didn't know Henhouse started in Petaluma, but that does make sense. BTW, the other place (in Sebastopol) is Crooked Goat, not Twisted Goat. I'm guessing chicken sheds are not that sturdy in earthquakes?

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I'm guessing chicken sheds are not that sturdy in earthquakes?

Actually, they're the perfect thing — all wood, all swaying and jostling. Interesting but not traumatic. Our apartment house in Petaluma (a former chicken baron mansion) did fine, too. It's the brick and mortar stuff that sucks, and that's why you'll see all that state-mandated structural reinforcement in brick buildings.

Sebastopol . . . sigh. It was a very romantic time for us. We started out on the Russian River, Rio Nido, up in one of those canyons under the redwoods, in a houseful of friends, all transplanted Iowans. There was a storm, followed by a big flood, and our neighbor, a postman, had his house cut in half by a falling tree (it fell through his living room, between his wife and the TV she was watching). Since he'd been on the verge of bankruptcy, he was happy, and he moved his family into a motel in Santa Rosa for the duration, partying, apparently, the whole time. We lived on wine and leftovers for a week until we could get out.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That whole area has gotten very pricy, but it's beautiful and idyllic. I don't live there but spend lots of time there when it's not ski season. Love cycling in Sonoma County too!

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
That whole area has gotten very pricy, but it's beautiful and idyllic. I don't live there but spend lots of time there when it's not ski season. Love cycling in Sonoma County too!

Yeah, no surprise. It's all pretty pricy now. I suppose a lot of those Russian River shacks are all torn down now. It was about a quarter hippy, three-quarters gay people when I knew it. Gerry Garcia used to play at the little bar at the edge of Guerneville. (Our flood was the '86 flood, which I guess was the record.)

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They're just overpriced shacks. I think you can still get some good deals in places like Monte Rio, Cazaderos, etc, but Guerneville gets way too many people from the city to stay affordable. I think the demographic is still the same as you described. I'll have to find out about the bar where Jerry played. Did you see him there?

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
They're just overpriced shacks. I think you can still get some good deals in places like Monte Rio, Cazaderos, etc, but Guerneville gets way too many people from the city to stay affordable. I think the demographic is still the same as you described. I'll have to find out about the bar where Jerry played. Did you see him there?

No, like an idiot. I guess I figured there was plenty of time, but I was in my twenties.

Monte Rio -- we looked at a house there, perched high on the side of the canyon, with views all up and down the river. It was incredible, but it had the air of a shooting den, despite the big slider and the deck.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_7646.JPG

When in Rome....

Spent the weekend in South-ish Texas, had to buy this when we saw it at the store. It was dadgum hot outside, and the beer was ice cold and inoffensive. Not a ringing endorsement, but I'd drink it again. Prefer the standard Shiner Bock, but who can pass up Guns & Oil?? (We also When-in-Rome'd the stylish styrofoam coolers...)

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, like an idiot. I guess I figured there was plenty of time, but I was in my twenties.

Monte Rio -- we looked at a house there, perched high on the side of the canyon, with views all up and down the river. It was incredible, but it had the air of a shooting den, despite the big slider and the deck.
I picture the homes I see listed there as dark and mildewy inside. But the trees and surroundings are great. I saw Jerry at the Warfield in the late 80s/early 90s. It was cool to see him in a smaller venue. A bar would have been even better!

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
(Oh, and I'm back home, and currently drinking a Hendricks with soda and cucumber.)

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I don't like fruit beers. I do like Brombeere. Great summer session beer.

IMG_6124.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
(Oh, and I'm back home, and currently drinking a Hendricks with soda and cucumber.)
I happen to have cucumber and Hendricks - hmmmmmm
And it is Thirstday.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
It was Black Tooth Amber a nice little steak and some really fine traditional country jam tonight.

An evening might get better than this, but not very often

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.