• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Intrawest sells to Aspen and KSL

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Or the Crown family is exiting.

Doubt it. Lester, yes. Succeeding generations, maybe not. The ski business looks a lot more fun than keeping track of their other ginormous holdings. I would be the farm that they will not exit Aspen SkiCo.

This thing is not going to look anything like Intrawest in a year. Assume everyone sees that.

Like I have said. Fun to watch..I heard a very interesting rumor this AM about their possibly buying an area in NE, solely to swap all of the land with the USFS.

These guys are smart.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
My "tidbits" are not new. It seems like a lot of folks, even in the press disagree. My source are people who are directly in the deal one way or another, or VERY close. This whole thing has been brewing for a long, long time.

All that KSL/Aspen are competing with Vail for is the intimate skier dollars. And they want to carve off the top end of Vail's current skiers. The people who may not like the homogenized resorts.

1. This has just begun. Look for this group to be buying some special properties and selling some dogs. Or non destination resorts. My hunch is that three or four are gone over year one. And more are being "discussed" right now.

2. They do not intend to be Vail 2.0. This is not about the Epic Pass, on the cheap. A consolidated pass, absolutely. I hear that consistently. Do not be thinking this is about playing Vail's game and cheap passes. Nor is it about I/70 or "feeder mountIns."

Interesting insights--thanks for sharing! I'm going to comment and add some specific names in the western US to see what further insights might come up.

It sounds like you're describing a theoretical group with high-end visitation patterns similar to Aspen, but without the Mountain Collective riff-raff (I'm not saying that--just putting hypothetical words in hypothetical mangers' mouths). So for Aspen, more or less business as usual, with some higher-income visitors replacing some of the current middle-income tourists (sounds like a financier's dream). For Squalpine, drive off the locals (good start this season!) and day-trippers, and focus on tying Silicon Valley wealth into the rest of the group's properties. For Mammoth, price out the middle class and cater to LA wealth (again combined with the other areas' strengths). Steamboat seems like an odd man out... I guess the idea is to take it really upscale, but so much of its current economy is based on middle-income tourists that it'll be a rough transition, and might take some significant investment to get the resort infrastructure up to the boutique caliber you seem to describe.

And then the dogs/feeder mountains. June is clearly in the "dog" category, and it doesn't fit very well at all with an idea of a resort group focused squarely at millionaires and billionaires. It's good to have it in the portfolio just in case anti-trust regulators decide to look tough by requiring a divestiture. But really, does the new group want to sell it to Vail or Vail 2.0 and risk having it as a permanent competitor? Snow Summit/Bear Mountain have been called "feeder mountains," although I think really it's more accurate to say they've provided an important rounding element in the Cali4nia portfolio, delivering significant added value to value-conscious Southern Californians. So under the strategy you describe, it makes sense to get rid of Big Bear, and just write off Southern California's middle class. But that takes a huge chunk out of Mammoth's current business--particularly if they go to Vail or some other future conglomerate who wants to compete in the mid-range market. And then Winter Park, while not actually on I-70, is clearly currently aimed at the I-70 market... Denver locals and tourists who aren't extremely wealthy. So it sounds like an obvious target to sell. But the fact that Vail is effectively shut out from bidding for Winter Park means that it might not fetch the sort of quick-sale price they might have hoped.

3. High end, unique perfect destination resorts. No homogenized product at all. Same umbrella brand, but unique destinations. He mentioned that a bit.

4. I think almost any one of us can imagine the shopping list. I suspect that a couple that most assume will "never" be for sale will be sold. And I assume that Vail is right in the mix.

So the possible competition/acquisition targets for that top-tier customer, I guess, would be the new Aspen/KSL group, Vail, Deer Valley/Solitude, Alta, Snowbird, Telluride, Jackson Hole, Sun Valley/Snowbasin, and Yellowstone Club/Big Sky. Maybe Powder Mountain, Sundance, Taos, Whitefish, and/or Crested Butte at a stretch. That seems like a lot of players chasing a pretty limited set of wealthy customers. Which of course is why they've all been supplementing with a good deal of marketing to middle class vacationers/weekenders too.

The big challenge with a KSL/Aspen business model focused on those high-value customers seems to be how to capture additional market share away from the other players. I'm not sure I see a clear path to where a Mammoth/Squalpine/Aspen/Steamboat entity can make significant inroads against the others. Skiers who already have a favorite mountain (or a real estate investment at one) are unlikely to be persuaded to switch allegiance, while skiers who value traveling around trying different areas seem unlikely to be persuaded long-term to limit themselves to just the KSL/Aspen group.

5. Look for both of them to be in on former CNL properties, now owned by Och/Ziff. My hunch is that all are being marketed. No sure what fits for KSL/Aspen. I can think of a couple...on the feeder hill/Vail plan they might have interest in quite a few. Of course either one needs to deal with buying out the operators who hold long leases. Nothing money can't fix.

In the end, my hunch is that we'll see that everything is for sale in this business, and everybody has their price!

Will be great spectating!

At least out west, Crested Butte seems like the only player that might fit the high-end profile described for KSL/Aspen. Brighton might be a good acquisition if paired with another Utah area. The others, I agree, are prime acquisition targets for Vail or another entity that is willing to embrace value-conscious skiers. And if KSL/Aspen really does pursue a high-end-focused strategy, I think it's likely that another conglomerate (Vail 2.0) will arise before too long that's more willing to fight Vail head-on for middle-class customers. Big Bear, June, and Winter Park would be a great kick-start to such a venture.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Doubt it. Lester, yes. Succeeding generations, maybe not. The ski business looks a lot more fun than keeping track of their other ginormous holdings. I would be the farm that they will not exit Aspen SkiCo.

This thing is not going to look anything like Intrawest in a year. Assume everyone sees that.

Like I have said. Fun to watch..I heard a very interesting rumor this AM about their possibly buying an area in NE, solely to swap all of the land with the USFS.

These guys are smart.

Definitely fun to watch, although is the ski business itself really fun anymore if you haven't carved out a perfect niche like A-Basin? Is it really fun to have to get huge to deal with the EpicPass and run labor at perfect utilization to turn a profit and own a bunch of crap you couldn't care less about?

These guys are smart. So why go all in instead of out, when the game has permanently changed? If I had endless money and owned Aspen, the last thing I would do is expose Aspen to a broader ski business model. I'd insulate it - this KSL thing means having to run stuff like Vail does. Yuck.

Build value with an exit strategy? Unless this is a long term EpicPass Part Deux, it looks a lot more like an investment portfolio than a ski company. So again, why is Aspen here?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Curious of the timing. Do you know of this was his April 17th Press Conference?

He got himself over his tips on a couple of things, I had heard before seeing this. One is essentially saying that the plan is to take it public, before the deal has even closed.

And IPO is a likely exit strategy, years down the road. Obviously Gregory has a significant greed index related to this, and despite anything he says, KSL outbid the rest. Mammoth has been working with bankers for along time. Note Rusty talking about his team spending so much time in NYC. He basically said that the team was put together {2014?} to get this done.

My "tidbits" are not new. It seems like a lot of folks, even in the press disagree. My source are people who are directly in the deal one way or another, or VERY close. This whole thing has been brewing for a long, long time.

All that KSL/Aspen are competing with Vail for is the intimate skier dollars. And they want to carve off the top end of Vail's current skiers. The people who may not like the homogenized resorts.

1. This has just begun. Look for this group to be buying some special properties and selling some dogs. Or non destination resorts. My hunch is that three or four are gone over year one. And more are being "discussed" right now.

2. They do not intend to be Vail 2.0. This is not about the Epic Pass, on the cheap. A consolidated pass, absolutely. I hear that consistently. Do not be thinking this is about playing Vail's game and cheap passes. Nor is it about I/70 or "feeder mountIns."

3. High end, unique perfect destination resorts. No homogenized product at all. Same umbrella brand, but unique destinations. He mentioned that a bit.

4. I think almost any one of us can imagine the shopping list. I suspect that a couple that most assume will "never" be for sale will be sold. And I assume that Vail is right in the mix.

5. Look for both of them to be in on former CNL properties, now owned by Och/Ziff. My hunch is that all are being marketed. No sure what fits for KSL/Aspen. I can think of a couple...on the feeder hill/Vail plan they might have interest in quite a few. Of course either one needs to deal with buying out the operators who hold long leases. Nothing money can't fix.

In the end, my hunch is that we'll see that everything is for sale in this business, and everybody has their price!

Will be great spectating!
Watching and waiting to see what rolls out.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I assume that the lawsuit will not have legs. I'm assuming that they are suing Intrawest because they feel that Intrawest accepted too low an offer. Of course at a 40% premium over the stock price at the time the deal was made, many felt that the buyers were significantly overpaying. Lots of talk of how Intrawest was cutting every expense possible to increase earnings before exploring a sale. Not like there was growth going on.

There's always the question of who's footing the bills, and what the desired end game is. It's obviously money. And a 40% premium was considerable.

Guess we'll see how this goes. Would this group prefer no deal? Because no way will that business support a $25 stock price. Go back to actually trying to run those areas, without record snow years, and looking at SL of the pieces.

KSL/Aspen could walk away. Hmm.

Keep in mind the number of groups that they outbid. These are smart people. Fortress is, too. Nobody left any money on the table.

Just a thought. Most of the people who I know who have invested in a publicly traded ski business regret it, other than those who bought MTN a while ago.

Those who invested in ASC lost a bundle. However, the investors in Oak Hill, who controlled and broke up ASC did just fine.

Presume this is a nuisance, which will eventually go away.

otisshirley

Booting up
Skier
This seems like the standard minority shareholder lawsuit that gets filed in just about every acquisition, alleging an inadequate price or faulty disclosure or both, as in this case. I have no particular information about this lawsuit, but if it follows the usual pattern, most likely it will get dismissed or settled for attorneys' fees and relatively minor disclosure changes.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was under the impression that KSL and ASC were joining forces to make the purchases of the Intrawest and Mammoth. That article says that the new holding company (from the article) -Capital Partners that is acquiring the Mammoth Mountain, Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows assets that were part of the new group’s $1.5 billion-plus April ski resort buying spree.

That gives me the feeling that Capital Partners now owns the KSL ski holdings, as well as the Intrawest resorts that were acquired, and Mammoth, but Aspen Ski Co holdings are not under the Capital Partner umbrella?

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
That article quotes ASC saying ASC is still independent, but there is "overlap".

That's what none of them are explaining, since the "overlap" is why ASC is here unless they are on a mission to save skiing with their superior DNA.

soulskier

Putting on skis
Skier
It is my understanding that the 6 Intrawest Resorts, 4 Mammoth Resorts and Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows are being wrapped into the new entity, but that the 4 Aspen Skiing Company Resorts will remain solo ownership of the Crown Family.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
For Mammoth, price out the middle class and cater to LA wealth (again combined with the other areas' strengths). Steamboat seems like an odd man out... I guess the idea is to take it really upscale, but so much of its current economy is based on middle-income tourists that it'll be a rough transition, and might take some significant investment to get the resort infrastructure up to the boutique caliber you seem to describe.

And then the dogs/feeder mountains. June is clearly in the "dog" category, and it doesn't fit very well at all with an idea of a resort group focused squarely at millionaires and billionaires. It's good to have it in the portfolio just in case anti-trust regulators decide to look tough by requiring a divestiture. But really, does the new group want to sell it to Vail or Vail 2.0 and risk having it as a permanent competitor? Snow Summit/Bear Mountain have been called "feeder mountains," although I think really it's more accurate to say they've provided an important rounding element in the Cali4nia portfolio, delivering significant added value to value-conscious Southern Californians. So under the strategy you describe, it makes sense to get rid of Big Bear, and just write off Southern California's middle class. But that takes a huge chunk out of Mammoth's current business--particularly if they go to Vail or some other future conglomerate who wants to compete in the mid-range market.

The premise that these resorts will be focused exclusively on the upper class is completely clueless with regard to the Cali4nia Pass resorts. Mammoth has hosted two NASJA annual meetings during which Rusty Gregory addressed the journalists and took questions for over an hour. In 1999, just after Intrawest invested in Mammoth, the message was all about how Mammoth was going to become the next great destination resort with the airport and Village development. We all know how that worked out. In 2013 Rusty said Mammoth is focusing on its SoCal customer base, striving to get skier visits back up to the near 1.5 million of 2005 and 2006 (FYI 1982 and 1986 also). I'm sure Rusty told the Starwood private equity owners in 2014 (who were looking for an exit, not to put more money in) that they HAD TO BUY Big Bear when it was up for sale to keep it away from Vail potentially siphoning off Mammoth's future customers.

There's no way Aspen/KSL bought Mammoth with intent to sell Big Bear. Big Bear does 800K visits in its own right vs. maybe 1.3 million at Mammoth, so it's far from chump change. The bottom line is that Mammoth is and always will be a 80+% weekend regional resort because it's just too much of a PITA to reach from points east. On every ski forum when we rave about great ski days at Mammoth, people east of the Rockies are apathetic at best and if they comment, it's always about how inconvenient and/or expensive it is to get there vs. Colorado or Utah.

That specifically means that most of Mammoth's customers drive up, which allows them to be sensitive to both price and current ski conditions. They resist lodging at expensive Village properties and skier visits during the worst snow years are 30+% lower than during normal or better years. Any property that does 2 million average skier visits per season has lots of value. But the Intrawest/Starwood years demonstrate that it's a fool's errand to try to transform Mammoth's underlying culture/customer base. And Aspen at least is giving lip service to preserving the local culture of the recently purchased ski areas.

Sadly, June is indeed a "dog" from a financial viability standpoint. No one will buy it as a stand alone ski area. No one stepped up when Mammoth was forced to close June in 2012-13 due to violating debt covenants in 2011-12. There was 80-page thread about that closure on the old Mammoth Forum. http://easternsierraforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13693 I said then (and it is now Mammoth's stated strategy) that June should be marketed as a more family and beginner oriented niche product. While this plays to June's strengths and makes sense for developing Mammoth's future customer base, June will almost certainly be be an ongoing loss leader on any kind of separated income statement.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online