• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Intermediate ski reviews

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Some members have been requesting some reviews on skis for the advancing beginner or intermediate skier.
I'm starting this thread so we can create a place to easily find these beginner and intermediate ski reviews.

Here is my first Cage Match for intermediate skiers.

http://bit.ly/2gC5qhD

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So glad you are doing reviews for intermediates! I'll chime in when I feel it's relevant.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Another ski that I demoed for 3 FULL days last season was the Rossignol Tempation 84. I skied it in a 162. I really liked this ski. It was just EASY to ski. Turn initiation was a breeze, edgehold on hard pack was the best of the bunch, and it was smooth and damp, without being heavy.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
More to come...
20171217_092400.jpg

va_deb

Getting on the lift
Skier
:popcorn:^

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I've had a few days on DPS's new for '18-'19 Foundation Cassiar 87 in 185cm length. And the verdict is...

But first, a little about the driver. I am 53, 5'10" and around 230ish before gear (gravity is my friend on those long, low angle traverses against the wind!). I've skied for many years but took several off until last year. Things changed quite a bit in ski technology and shape while I was gone. Frankly, that's a really good thing! I'm an advancing advanced skier with a preference to groomers. I tend to get tentative on occasion and also get in the back seat still, so I need a ski that will forgive my transgressions. I have tended to stay out of moguls and trees in the past but I'm working on that. I took these skis down some crusty moguls, some chalk moguls, and through the trees where it was everything from dust on crust to a few inches of left over fresh from 4 or 5 days ago. I'll leave the "what other ski is it like" to those who have much more insight on that subject.

The ski: 2018-19 DPS Foundation Cassiar 87, 185cm
The boot: Technica Cochise 130
The binding: Tyrolia Aaatack 13 demo, 7 setting
The conditions: varied, hero groomers, hard bumps, scraped off hardpack, dust on crust, chalk in the trees, shark fins, chocolate chips

I've been fortunate to ski both the '18-'19 Foundation Cassiar 82 in 178cm and the '17-'18 Foundation Cassiar 95 in 185cm (the '19 Cassiar 95 will be slimmed down to 94 with a shape similar to the '19 87 and 82). I liked both of those skis but I think if I had to choose one, I'd pick the 87 over its narrower and wider brethren. It hits the sweet spot without giving up much to the 82's carving and the 95's stable, more all-mountain feel. I found the ski will carve as far over as I can go but the rounded tail allows for a quick detach from a carve to a slarve or slide if the situation calls for it. Give the ski a bit more angle and you're back on the carve. In the trees and bumps that same tail shape, along with a little rise in the forebody, allows for a safe, secure feel for those who are learning the literal ins and outs of bumps and trees. I didn't feel the ski was offended by my weight; it never felt whimpy or nervous. A strong, lighter skier would probably enjoy the 185 length. Lighter or less experienced skiers would do well with the 178 or 170cm lengths (I believe that is what the other two lengths are). The 82 that I skied is 178cm and felt a little less composed; I've no doubt that a longer length would fix that for me.

The ski does not demand full attention at all times but it will reward the more technically proficient skier who drives harder. It will also not punish the intermediate skier who is climbing the skill ladder. The 87s would make a really good one ski quiver for the Tahoe/Sierra skier or a fine addition to a two ski all-mountain quiver with a 100+ for those sweet, sweet powder days. With the shape of the tip mimicking DPS's very popular Wailer lineup, I'd believe these would do quite well in fresh up to 6 or 8". Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to try that yet!

• Who is it for? Advancing intermediates or experts looking for a comfortable, competent, everyday driver that doesn't punish mistakes but rewards proficiency.
  • Who is it not for? Beginners or early intermediates who are still feeling their way around the mountain.
  • Insider tip? Take these skis to areas that may normally be out of your comfort zone; they will help you without a lot of drama.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I will let @Philpug and @Tricia confirm, but I believe DPS is going to introduce a new/revised lineup of the women's Uschi with the newer shape. Fun for everyone!

Sponsor

Staff online