• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Instructor recommendation at Deer Valley?

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hi

Would anyone recommend a good Private Instructor at DV? I am thinking someone who would work well both with kids and adults.

Thank you in advance!

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
My kids ski buddies were just there taking lessons with Daniel McDonough. They absolutely loved him, skied 8-4:30 every day, said it was their best ski trip ever. PM me if you want to speak w/ the mom directly ...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The Rusty at the other place works at Deer Valley. He teaches skiing and snowboarding.. if any of the kids snowboard?? Anyway, good guy and great instructor.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
The Rusty at the other place works at Deer Valley. He teaches skiing and snowboarding.. if any of the kids snowboard?? Anyway, good guy and great instructor.

Thanks a bunch. The kids both ski (and I don think you can board at DV :)

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
The Rusty used to be a trainer of instructors where he worked before moving to DV.

TS
Mendieta

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Thank you all for the recommendations made both here and via PMs. I ended up booking a lesson with Lance Swedish (@lswedish ), as suggested by @cbk . Great decision. We split 3 hours where my daughter took the first 1.5h, and my son and I (who ski at a similar level) the other. We wanted to take a bumps lesson, as suggested by @Mark Downing (our Tahoe instructor). Great idea. Lance prepared us for the bumps with a lot of fundamentals discussion followed by some carved turns and then lots of short turns practice. We then took some bumps on a run, and the grand finale, more natural bumps in a gentle bowl that goes back to the lift base.

I could not be happier. Bumps will open a lot of terrain for us, especially bowls. We are now moving freely in groomed terrain, pretty much (with a lot of technique to be improved), but this opens another dimension. Not bad for our 3rd season.

Thank you Lance for a great lesson, and thank you all for the recommendations. Oh, my daughter was also very happy. Lance is not only very knowledgeable and clear in his explanations, but also very positive, which makes the experience a lot of fun.

Sponsor