• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Inline skating

WildBillD

Booting up
Skier
Beware first time you get on snow, if you blade alot the first yr. you will anticpate the same response from the skis as you got from the rollerblades. You will need to adjust your timing for turn transitons on the snow.(patience)

The second yr on blades when you return to the snow your body will have learned its lesson,and the transiton from rollerblade to snow will be less dramatic .

A good foot centering exercise for fore/aft balance is hop turns whereby you stop the blades from for squirting out from under you when you land - a good accuracy exercise.

TS
MoSkyrPls

MoSkyrPls

Putting on skis
Skier
Beware first time you get on snow, if you blade alot the first yr. you will anticpate the same response from the skis as you got from the rollerblades. You will need to adjust your timing for turn transitons on the snow.(patience)

The second yr on blades when you return to the snow your body will have learned its lesson,and the transiton from rollerblade to snow will be less dramatic .

A good foot centering exercise for fore/aft balance is hop turns whereby you stop the blades from for squirting out from under you when you land - a good accuracy exercise.
I think I get what you're saying, don't expect to be able to go edge to edge the way you can quickly on skates... I've been doing a lot of flat ground skating, about 6 miles at a time so I am more focused on balance and fitness.

The nation's largest pump track is about an hour from me, and I'm a little tempted to work up to that. Hopefully that would be an effective way to get some mogul-oriented practice in the summer.

TS
MoSkyrPls

MoSkyrPls

Putting on skis
Skier
Heh. Never mind snow moguls, I'd do it for the fun factor alone :)
Haha I mean yeah, I have been finding skating to be quite fun. But so far I'm not confident at stopping or skating switch, so starting out on the pump track seems a little sketchy. It's been nice getting a good, fun workout that also happens to help with skiing.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
But so far I'm not confident at stopping

Yes, that would be on my checklist to fix.

I mean braking distance will never be comparable to bicycle brakes, and far longer anticipation distances will always be needed, but confidence on up to 3-4% grades should be an achievable target in the quite short term. By short term I mean a week of practice or less.

Sponsor

Staff online