• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Er ... for those who wake up in the middle of the night ... it could be alcohol. Alcohol makes you sleepy in the short term, but interrupts something something in the middle of the night. That's what I've been told as part of my long-running effort to get enough sleep, of decent enough quality, to be vaguely functional during the day. And it doesn't have to be a lot of alcohol, unfortunately.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Alcohol over indulgence does mess with restful sleep. But it also may be that you have a bimodel sleep pattern, which is, from what I've read, completely normal and perhaps the way many people slept throughout history. I frequently sleep in 2 chunks, alcohol abuse aside, and generally just read a book in the middle of the night when awake.

See, for example:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-16964783

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Er ... for those who wake up in the middle of the night ... it could be alcohol.

I wish it were the alcohol, but since I don't drink, it's unlikely. Right now, my running hypothesis for a recipe for good sleep is a very small sleep window (10-11p) and less than full stomach. Exercise during the day is a bonus, helps a little. YMMV

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@JeffB - I've heard that, but for me it definitely is correlated with alcohol, even one drink.

There aren't enough posts in the world to cover my journey with sleep issues, but I just got an oral appliance that is supposed to help me sleep. Fingers crossed.

And to bring it back on topic: maybe with that, I'll be able to motivate to go to the gym more often!

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@JeffB - I've heard that, but for me it definitely is correlated with alcohol, even one drink.

There aren't enough posts in the world to cover my journey with sleep issues, but I just got an oral appliance that is supposed to help me sleep. Fingers crossed.

And to bring it back on topic: maybe with that, I'll be able to motivate to go to the gym more often!
Which appliance did you get?

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Peer pressure. That's what helps us work out, I believe. I know many people, including myself, who bought a home gym, just to use it a few times and give up. Of course, it works for some. But for most of us, and definitely in my case, going to a place where other people are working out makes us feel like we have to join the effort.

I really like moderate weight lifting. It provides a solid base for practicing any sport.

Go with it, @Tricia !

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Maybe you need to drink more than one!! :)

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I hate to say it, but messed up sleep seems to come with middle age and beyond. I used to sleep like a baby, but since about age 40 that ended and my sleep has been increasingly disruptive. Waking up feeling totally rested happens about once a week now that I'm in my 60s. Sleeping to 8 or 9AM is rare, beyond that unheard of. And I agree, more than one drink before bedtime can lead to wake ups about four hours after laying down. Having a laptop or smart phone in the bedroom is also a very bad thing, at least for my wife and I. :hug: When sleep is interrupted there is a tendency to get up and use those kind of devices rather than forcing yourself to go back to sleep. Before you know it, it's 7AM. :eek: My best recommendation is a boring one: go to bed early and stay there. That way even if there is a disruption you get a good number of hours of sleep. Also, power naps are a good thing when you get older, a very good thing.:roflmao:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I hate to say it, but messed up sleep seems to come with middle age and beyond.

Some of us have the glory of middle age problems quite a bit sooner.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I wish it were the alcohol, but since I don't drink, it's unlikely. Right now, my running hypothesis for a recipe for good sleep is a very small sleep window (10-11p) and less than full stomach. Exercise during the day is a bonus, helps a little. YMMV

Yes, eating early helps. Another thing that helps is a soothing tea, such as Linden tea, or warm milk, before bed. These have a similar, relaxing effect, same as alcohol _in_moderation_ (I still need to find what that means, :roflmao:).

A couple more thoughts: unless you are U20, you don't want to drink coffee late afternoon. And exercise, believe it or not, will accelerate your metabolism and prevent you from sleeping if you do it late in the day. You will be tired but hyper, if you exercise before bed. Our bodies need a few hours to settle down. Which brings me back to the thread topic: the earlier you can go to the gym, the better off you are.

Cheers!

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, eating early helps. Another thing that helps is a soothing tea, such as Linden tea, or warm milk, before bed. These have a similar, relaxing effect, same as alcohol _in_moderation_ (I still need to find what that means, :roflmao:).

A couple more thoughts: unless you are U20, you don't want to drink coffee late afternoon. And exercise, believe it or not, will accelerate your metabolism and prevent you from sleeping if you do it late in the day. You will be tired but hyper, if you exercise before bed. Our bodies need a few hours to settle down. Which brings me back to the thread topic: the earlier you can go to the gym, the better off you are.

Cheers!

Tell me about it ... we used to have these league tennis matches that would go on until 11 pm sometimes, and even if I was tired, I was wired. Back our 30s, we would just go to the bars after. But it was a school night, and then the kids started getting up way too early ....

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Ice hockey games ending after midnight. I had to quit - Sunday night games definitely had an impact on my performance at work.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ice hockey games ending after midnight. I had to quit - Sunday night games definitely had an impact on my performance at work.

Yeah, tennis has nothing on hockey or indoor soccer. Some of those games didn't start til after midnight.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah, tennis has nothing on hockey or indoor soccer. Some of those games didn't start til after midnight.
My husband plays on two leagues - game times this year seem to be 10:40 and 11:00. Luckily, I sleep well, and usually don't even hear him come in.

scott43

Skier
My husband plays on two leagues - game times this year seem to be 10:40 and 11:00. Luckily, I sleep well, and usually don't even hear him come in.

The worst of it is, depending on how competitive it is, you're wired for a few hours afterward..so you usually can't sleep for at least an hour or so after you get home..

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The worst of it is, depending on how competitive it is, you're wired for a few hours afterward..so you usually can't sleep for at least an hour or so after you get home..
Yeah, he usually "relaxes" by playing games on his tablet.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid