• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

If you were to get a tattoo, what would it be?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Wow, lots of negative Nancies here. If you think tattoos are terrible and disfiguring, please feel free to keep it to yourself. Do you walk up to people and tell them their haircuts are awful, too?

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, lots of negative Nancies here. If you think tattoos are terrible and disfiguring, please feel free to keep it to yourself. Do you walk up to people and tell them their haircuts are awful, too?

As a graphic designer I am amazed at the skill involved with many of the tattoos I see. I just don't think I have the "cool" factor to be able to pull off having one -- I have more of the "Dad" look. :)

With that being said I settle for clothing with tattoo like designs -
Petersen 2.jpg

IMG_3578.JPG

Last edited:

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
If they are flashing a purple and green spike mohawk and get offended when people say it looks silly or just point and laugh, then yes.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I've always liked the look of white tattoos, nice and subtle...for example...

download.jpg

Though, if done poorly, or on the wrong skin tone they look pretty terrible (they look more like a scar than a tattoo). White tattoos also take a lot more effort to keep them looking good (or so I've read)...they fade quicker and need touch ups more often than black outlines. So for those reasons...I don't think I'll ever actually get one, but this thread is "if you were to get a tattoo", it would be a white one (probably mountains, trees, snowflakes, or a combination of the three).

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:decisions:and she'll never show us the second one.:drool: :nono:

:duck:

Actually, I'm pretty sure at least a few people on here have seen it as it's visible when wearing some swimsuits and tank tops, it's just not very interesting. A small butterfly I got when I was 18. The color has completely faded so now its just the black outline. I got it on a spur of the moment adventure and decision which I probably wouldn't do again but I don't hate it. Butterflies do symbolize renewal, metamorphosis, transformation, and so when viewed in that way it does remind me of the changes I've made since I got it.

As far as the the decision whether to get a tattoo or not, it's so personal. I tend to think that I'm probably on the upper end of the generation that brought it from taboo to more accepted norm. From rebels and biker gangs to business professionals, teachers, stay at home moms, etc. I'm not the sort that would do a full arm sleeve or frankly anything I can't cover up with a pair of slacks and a blouse for work if necessary.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The artist is the whole deal. There's one 'studio's ' work around here popular with skiers... clumsy, awful, crap. Ocassionally I'll see some amazing delicate work done by 'good hand' and am duly impressed. Myself? Probably not... well, maybe a bar code for access to my personal info and social media comments. One cool one I heard about was told by the grand daughter of a concentration camp survivor... She had her grandmother's number tattoed on her arm as a remembrance after the grandmother passed away.

Yeah, not a fan of lower back work on women... Why touch one of the most beautiful, sensual parts of a woman's body with anything other than eyes or the hand?

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It would be washable.

I guess my days as a youngster working in diners showed me what happens to tattoos on old skin. No thanks.

Tats don't bother me shy of the type shown by some examples posted, but then i don't care other than being creepy. The memorial ones though are very personal.

Wouldn't get one, I figure I should of gotten a ruler or inch marker on the sides of my ab to warn me of growing girth ... or sagging with age (ewww) but now I can claim ignorance and reason not too.

1 in 3 have Tattoos so as noted, they're common.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Wouldn't get one, I figure I should of gotten a ruler or inch marker on the sides of my ab to warn me of growing girth ... or sagging with age (ewww) but now I can claim ignorance and reason not too.

Funny!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
If I had my druthers I'd have a dozen smaller tattoos, pink hair and a couple piercings. However, corporate land dictates otherwise so I have 1 tattoo, a pierced nose and blondish/brown hair. My last job didn't care what color my hair was so I'd dye my hair purple every couple years. New job is much more conservative so that won't be happening here. Need someone to go with me to get another tatt as I'm long over due. As with my other one it'll be on my back or ankle so it'll be easily hidden with a shirt/pants.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Actually, I'm pretty sure at least a few people on here have seen it as it's visible when wearing some swimsuits and tank tops, it's just not very interesting. A small butterfly I got when I was 18. The color has completely faded so now its just the black outline. I got it on a spur of the moment adventure and decision which I probably wouldn't do again but I don't hate it. Butterflies do symbolize renewal, metamorphosis, transformation, and so when viewed in that way it does remind me of the changes I've made since I got it. -
- oh no, please don't ruin the fantasy:(
:toast:P

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online