• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

I have a bit of a confession...

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
I have never really cared much about boots! I can almost hear the boos, wait that's not how the world works but, my point remains, I have been using a pair of mid-late 2000s Head S11 (I think) boots since I received them as a part of a sponsorship. These boots have become a severe pain in the neck, and to boot compared to my usually close to brand new skis, they are starting to stick out like a very sore thumb. I have to admit, I am in for a new ski boot. Now I am older and haven't competitively raced in a long time, so we can easily say Head sponsorship received boots aren't an option. The boots were fantastic new, I have very odd wide feet and Head made sure they could get a pair to me that fit like a glove, which left them being very comfortable for about another 5 years, after that they have simply worn out to a point of shooting pains coming from my foot for the first hour of a ski day. So, let's get to the point. I am looking for new boots and I'd love some advise, first off I will do whatever possible to try on boots before I buy, I am aware you just don't know how well it'll fit till you've tried them on but, I'd love some boot suggestions. Here's the sitch in short, I need new boots, I have weird feet, and the newer parts to my suggestions are: I would prefer tighter racing focused boots, that can also do some occasional back country and some hefty moguls (Racing with some all mountain), and I am using size 29 boots currently but, they are somewhat modified I believe. I have been looking at the Dalbello Aspect 100s but, I know very little about them. I can't wait to see what the people of Pugski have to say regarding boots.

TS
LeLeedler

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
I'm pretty sure everyone will say " Go to see your local boot fitter and let him decide what you need" :P
That's always expected, and living less than an hour from Aspen won't make that hard but, I'd love to hear what boots people like today and what boots I should suggest for a boot fitter.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I like my Lange RS 110s. I added a Vibram sole to make them less slippery (less falls in the parking lot) and grippier to hike. I have smallish feet (266BSL) and the Lange fits me perfect in a 22.5. My feet are pretty "normal" and I don't require much boot work...just new foot beds every few years due to my job and being on my feet all the time.

TS
LeLeedler

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
I like my Lange RS 110s. I added a Vibram sole to make them less slippery (less falls in the parking lot) and grippier to hike. I have smallish feet (266BSL) and the Lange fits me perfect in a 22.5. My feet are pretty "normal" and I don't require much boot work...just new foot beds every few years due to my job and being on my feet all the time.
Yeah, I have seen those skis, they have a wide version too which could really make it a fantastic option, glad to hear you like them. Do you think they help your handling?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If the fitter you go to is worth his/her salt, they'll have a good idea based on your foot shape, volume and measurements.
I have a really hard time giving advice based on internet information.

Keep in mind, boots, materials, shapes, liners.....all are vastly different than when you got your current(non current) boots. ;)

Last edited:
TS
LeLeedler

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
If the fitter you go to is worth his/her salt, they'll have a good idea based on your foot shape, volume and measurements.
I have a really hard time giving advice based on internet information.

Keep in mind, boots, materials, shapes, liners.....all are vastly different than when you got your current(non current) boots. ;)
Yup, the boot world evolves so fast its crazy! My second cousin decided to go skiing with me and brought his older gear (1990s) and funny enough that plastic boot EXPLODED at the bottom of our first run. The rental guys had a sense of humor and gave him a free rental but, that emphasizes yours and my point that is: The world changes and we need to change with it. Ski boots follow suit.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@LeLeedler I have no doubt that you'll find boots that are far more comfortable, with the performance you want/need with the new technology and the right fitter.
I would suggest you see Jack Rafferty in the Snowmass Mall. He's one of the Masterfit instructors.
Thotics, Inc
http://www.skisite.com/shopsDetail.cfm?id=5913

TS
LeLeedler

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
@LeLeedler I have no doubt that you'll find boots that are far more comfortable, with the performance you want/need with the new technology and the right fitter.
I would suggest you see Jack Rafferty in the Snowmass Mall. He's one of the Masterfit instructors.
Thotics, Inc
http://www.skisite.com/shopsDetail.cfm?id=5913
I know Jack, Great guy and he would've been the first guy I would ask to do it. He is kinda a family friend of my well, family.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I have seen those skis, they have a wide version too which could really make it a fantastic option, glad to hear you like them. Do you think they help your handling?
Absolutely. I don't like the feeling of separation between boot & ski. This boot allows me to have the control of boot/ski initiation at the same time which helps my turns feel more solid & complete. This helps particularly in the steeps and trees.

TS
LeLeedler

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
Absolutely. I don't like the feeling of separation between boot & ski. This boot allows me to have the control of boot/ski initiation at the same time which helps my turns feel more solid & complete. This helps particularly in the steeps and trees.
Well that's basically what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the info!

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
While there's no substitute for trying on boots and getting recommendations from a boot fitter that has actually seen your feet, I don't see any harm in asking what people have in their feet and why they like/dislike them. Whether you take these comments with a grain a salt or written in stone is entirely up you you (I recommend the former).

So, FWIW, DH just got a pair of Nordica Speedmachines (130?), and absolutely loves them. He has wide feet and a high instep...and generally wears his boots on the snug side. Since I've known him (9 years) I don't think he's owned a traditional style 4-buckle boot. But he welcomed the change, and was happy with them this season.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That's always expected, and living less than an hour from Aspen won't make that hard but, I'd love to hear what boots people like today and what boots I should suggest for a boot fitter.

Boots are very personal, you match the boot to the foot, not the other way around, so the boots that I or anyone else like might not work for you..especially without seeing your feet. Jack knows boots. Getting others opinions on what boots work for them is completely irellivent for your needs. This will help you avoid the "yeah, buts..." Yeah but GR8SKIR38 on line says that the SkiZone Master 130W is a great boot. Thats great, do you have the same feet, dorsal range instep and ski ability as GR8SKIR38? I don't know. Well, lets see what works for you then. It would be a ifferent conversation here if you lived in East Tennessee where there are few option or if you didn't know Jack ($hit) ..but you do know Jack (Rafferty)

I would venture to say that your foot is different that @SkiNurse who is in the Lange RS110, here is where it gets confusing, I am in the big brother of her boot, the RS140 which I did not like "out of the box", I had to do a tremendous amount of work to get it to ski well for me, heel lifts, foam liner, forward lean, cutting shell and more. Between her boot and mine, Lange offers a multitude of variations of the RS/RX/SX/XT/XT Tour shells in an aray of flexes and all are good..for the right foot and that is just one brand. You could get endorsements for everyone of those models and just as many saying, they jsut didn't work for me.

The point is, try to avoid preconceived notions of what boot is best for anyone else and let the fitter help you with what boot is best for you. You are lucky, you are so far ahead of the average person looking for boots because you know Jack!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While there's no substitute for trying on boots and getting recommendations from a boot fitter that has actually seen your feet, I don't see any harm in asking what people have in their feet and why they like/dislike them. Whether you take these comments with a grain a salt or written in stone is entirely up you you (I recommend the former).

So, FWIW, DH just got a pair of Nordica Speedmachines (130?), and absolutely loves them. He has wide feet and a high instep...and generally wears his boots on the snug side. Since I've known him (9 years) I don't think he's owned a traditional style 4-buckle boot. But he welcomed the change, and was happy with them this season.
Based on this question -
, I'd love to hear what boots people like today and what boots I should suggest for a boot fitter.
I happen to ski in the new W2W Developed Tecnica Mach 1 105 LV - 23.5.
If I were to tell him to go for this boot (or another Tecnica) and he walks into Jack's shop and says, "Tricia said I should take a look at the Tecnica Cochise 130 LV." I'd be getting a phone call from Jack. Tricia doesn't want to get that kind of phone call from Jack.

I would prefer tighter racing focused boots, that can also do some occasional back country and some hefty moguls (Racing with some all mountain), and I am using size 29 boots currently but, they are somewhat modified I believe
There are some good boots being made in this category, but the more you ask a boot to do, the more it will compromise in another area.
Tecnica makes a LV Cochise, and Lange makes a LV Free Tour, but don't get hung up on those. See what Jack has and how he can pick something for you that will work best for you.
And for heaven's sake, don't tell him "Tricia said to get the LV Cochise or LV Free Tour." ;)

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
For me getting new boots is something approached with mixed feelings. "Oh boy new boots!" And "Are they going to work as good as my current boots?" A mix of joy :drool: and trepidation :(.

Here's how I pick a boot. I make an appointment with my boot fitter, walk in and say, "I need a boot that works for me. I need a comfort fit because I'm diabetic. I don't care what manufacturer." Then we start. If you ask me what boot I'm in I have to look. Right now I'm in Langes. (I just looked in my bag to make sure.). Fit, comfort, and performance is all that matters. I teach and am in boots 8 hours a day. When they come off my feet feel fine. As said many times, and I'm sure you know; you date skis, you marry boots.

Good luck in your search.

TS
LeLeedler

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
Based on this question -

I happen to ski in the new W2W Developed Tecnica Mach 1 105 LV - 23.5.
If I were to tell him to go for this boot (or another Tecnica) and he walks into Jack's shop and says, "Tricia said I should take a look at the Tecnica Cochise 130 LV." I'd be getting a phone call from Jack. Tricia doesn't want to get that kind of phone call from Jack.

There are some good boots being made in this category, but the more you ask a boot to do, the more it will compromise in another area.
Tecnica makes a LV Cochise, and Lange makes a LV Free Tour, but don't get hung up on those. See what Jack has and how he can pick something for you that will work best for you.
And for heaven's sake, don't tell him "Tricia said to get the LV Cochise or LV Free Tour." ;)
Haha, I would certainly not mention you unless it was asked, again I know Jack, along with most of my family, we are cool. And the later point you made, that something you can expect from just about anything in life, If you ask for a LeMan Style racing car, sure you get speed but, you lose any level of luxury or comfort. Thanks so much for the information anyways! I will certainly be checking those boots out.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
sounds like you're in a perfect position to play with liner swaps

I'd caution against that for shells 15+ years old.
Twice saw boots less than 10 years old come apart on the feet of friends, both times just split open along the soles.
Granted, they were relatively cheap boots in both cases, but plastic does get old and brittle.

TS
LeLeedler

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
sounds like you're in a perfect position to play with liner swaps

I'd caution against that for shells 15+ years old.
Twice saw boots less than 10 years old come apart on the feet of friends, both times just split open along the soles.
Granted, they were relatively cheap boots in both cases, but plastic does get old and brittle.
Yeah, that's why I wouldn't even consider it at this point. The plastic isn't brittle quite yet but, It's sure as hell stiffer than it was when new.

Sponsor