• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, good. So an all weather tire should work well :)

That is a tough size, your options are mostly highway tread stuff, so the Defender is probably top of the list and top of the price.

The Yokohama Geolander AT G015 would be a bit more aggressive for slushy soapy stuff for about $40 less a tire.

View attachment 14993

If you went with a 235/60/17, the Cooper AT/3, which has won a bunch of tire tests, is yet another $20 a tire cheaper.

None of these are winter rated, though. I'd also look at the Hankook I-Pike. It's a winter tire, but I've used them over the summer on my minivan (same tweener tire size) and you might get two full seasons out of them if you don't drive a ton of summer miles. Cheaper tire yet again.

Also check out Discount Tire Direct - they often have crazy good prices, ship for free, no sales tax, and then the store will mount all 4 for $64 and you get the lifetime balance and rotation.

The other stuff I was posting won't come in this size and are probably more tire than you would ever want anyway.
Thanks, @nay! This is the info I'm looking for.
I don't want to run snows in the summer. I DO drive a lot of summer miles, and it does get hot here.

I'll check out those Yokohama's. I do love the smoothness and improvement in mileage that Michelin's have provided me in the past. If the Yoko's are similar, then I could be swayed.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
If you're shopping for Michelins you should check out Costco if there is one near you. I ordered mine online thru their website, shipped to local Costco and $15 mounting.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Thanks, @nay! This is the info I'm looking for.
I don't want to run snows in the summer. I DO drive a lot of summer miles, and it does get hot here.

I'll check out those Yokohama's. I do love the smoothness and improvement in mileage that Michelin's have provided me in the past. If the Yoko's are similar, then I could be swayed.

If you've been fine on the stock tires, definitely no need for a dedicated winter tire. That was the overall point of this thread: there are advanced compound tires flooding the market that serve very well year round.

The winter tire argument is starting to become like the skinny ski argument. You really only need them for really deficient drivetrains, starting with 2wd cars, or to drive at unsafe speeds in winter conditions.

Keeping in mind that the Michelin Defender also comes in the LTX version...the LTX is the one that would seem to suit best as it is available in the 225/65/17 size and looks to have more aggressive lug voids.

Shop around online - tirebuyer.com will also ship free to preferred installers and then offer discounts for those installers. I think Discount Tire Direct can't be beat if they have your tire and size, because once the store installs them it's like you bought locally, and free shipping/no tax changes the price equation materially.

Good luck!

Dryheat

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you're shopping for Michelins you should check out Costco if there is one near you. I ordered mine online thru their website, shipped to local Costco and $15 mounting.

From memory the costco rebate on Michelin ends today. Next month is Bridgestone.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
From memory the costco rebate on Michelin ends today. Next month is Bridgestone.
Yes, it does. I'm not a fan of buying them at Costco because they are frankly a hassle time-wise to get the rotations from. It does help with my annual Executive member rebate, but not enough to want to buy them there. I always invariably wait for twice as long as they quote me. I am convinced it is part of their evil plot to get me to spend WAY more on that visit than I had intended.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you've been fine on the stock tires, definitely no need for a dedicated winter tire. That was the overall point of this thread: there are advanced compound tires flooding the market that serve very well year round.

The winter tire argument is starting to become like the skinny ski argument. You really only need them for really deficient drivetrains, starting with 2wd cars, or to drive at unsafe speeds in winter conditions.

Keeping in mind that the Michelin Defender also comes in the LTX version...the LTX is the one that would seem to suit best as it is available in the 225/65/17 size and looks to have more aggressive lug voids.

Shop around online - tirebuyer.com will also ship free to preferred installers and then offer discounts for those installers. I think Discount Tire Direct can't be beat if they have your tire and size, because once the store installs them it's like you bought locally, and free shipping/no tax changes the price equation materially.

Good luck!
Then I'll probably just spring for the Michelins and be done with it. I know I like how they drive, I know they improve mileage and handling.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, it does. I'm not a fan of buying them at Costco because they are frankly a hassle time-wise to get the rotations from. It does help with my annual Executive member rebate, but not enough to want to buy them there. I always invariably wait for twice as long as they quote me. I am convinced it is part of their evil plot to get me to spend WAY more on that visit than I had intended.

"spend WAY more on that visit" ... what's wrong with Wine? One nice thing is they do offer road hazard free, however I've never needed using it.

looks like the Defenders are running around $155 at DT local, noted was their Black Friday special so if one uses a DT Credit card you in theory can cut $160 off the price.

In any case, sans dedicated winter and 3 season, the Defender LTX sound a nice fit.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
"spend WAY more on that visit" ... what's wrong with Wine? One nice thing is they do offer road hazard free, however I've never needed using it.

looks like the Defenders are running around $155 at DT local, noted was their Black Friday special so if one uses a DT Credit card you in theory can cut $160 off the price.

In any case, sans dedicated winter and 3 season, the Defender LTX sound a nice fit.
I'll keep an eye on sales at DT or wait for Costco's next Michelin special in a month. And wine? Yeah, I'm in Utah. No wine at Costco here :nono:

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

As someone who skis on ~100mm skis except on powder days (I don't care for groomers) ^that analogy really resonates with me.

Reactions: nay
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
As someone who skis on ~100mm skis except on powder days (I don't care for groomers) ^that analogy really resonates with me.

I think there are a lot of parallels - I want an all mountain tire because I don't only drive groomers (behind plows), and driving fast in winter conditions in heavy traffic, which I see more and more Subaru, Audi, and for some inexplicable reason, Prius drivers doing, including passing in very risky spots, is heavily on the increase.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think there are a lot of parallels - I want an all mountain tire because I don't only drive groomers (behind plows), and driving fast in winter conditions in heavy traffic, which I see more and more Subaru, Audi, and for some inexplicable reason, Prius drivers doing, including passing in very risky spots, is heavily on the increase.

Isn't that because they refuse to change speeds, in order to drive in the most efficient manner possible? Which means they are going way too slow in some conditions, and way too fast in others. Not that I'm stereotyping, but ... I am.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Isn't that because they refuse to change speeds, in order to drive in the most efficient manner possible? Which means they are going way too slow in some conditions, and way too fast in others. Not that I'm stereotyping, but ... I am.
LOL
Gotta hypermile, dontcha know?

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
The parallels are that most of us try and find the best tool for the job at hand. I want EVERY advantage that I can have @ my disposal. The folks I see just on my way to work on worn out no season tires on their FWD cars tells me they should just stay home till the roads clear instead of adding to the problem. If they are unwilling to equip their vehicles for the conditions, they should not be on the road.
This is why I want AWD, pure winter tires and hopefully some (un)common sense from a lifetime of snow experience. EVERY modern dynamic 'safety' system starts with how much traction is available. Traction control/anti-lock brakes, stability control, etc. These system do not create traction, your tires do. So for me, cost, tire life, rolling resistance and to some degree dry road feel are all down on my list of priorities. It's a jungle out their when the snow flies...

YMMV
:snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The parallels are that most of us try and find the best tool for the job at hand. I want EVERY advantage that I can have @ my disposal. s...

YMMV
:snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow:
I've defaulted to wanting these for my spouse and kids, now even getting newer model cars for the safety features ... younger I drove with least pricey tire and when really young (high school) recall being stuck on an ice patch, single tire traction with bias plies - flat level parking lot. They were cheap.

While I like to think they taught me to drive .. respect the limits of ones tools, I now opt to push for tires using best available and as you noted ... suggest when needed waiting a day for crews to clear.

TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier

That's a good point :). I also think there is some aggressiveness in proving that you don't need something gas guzzling to drive in winter. I had a young woman in a Prius pass me going down Loveland Pass towards I-70 last spring in those nice soapy conditions. I was already doing around the speed limit, and she was riding me pretty hard (smart, given how a Prius front end lines up with my Land Cruiser rear end). She was running snow tires and went around me in a no passing zone carrying so much speed that she hit one of the many blind corners in oncoming lane and was unable to pull it back into the right lane before swinging into the blind corner. The only missing ingredient was the oncoming hazmat semi.

I've had a few other cases of Prius drivers acting aggressive in really sketchy conditions, but maybe that's the fuel thing and I'm overgeneralizing in the wrong direction, and these people are actually stupid enough to prioritize fuel economy in bad conditions protected only by their little sardine can.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
My wallet is scared, Discount Tire Direct is running $100 off $400 or more on their ebay store. And they have Falken AT3s in my size.....

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Annnndd ordered. Decided to risk it with the new Falkens. New tech means a lack of consumer experience. Will report once we get some miles on snow.

Reactions: nay
TS
nay

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
^^^^I guess we'll be able to compare notes :).

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
At <$400 mounted, balanced, and installed I decided new tires were in the budget this year. Hope to recoup $100 or so from the old ones since they have 80% tread left.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
^^^^I guess we'll be able to compare notes :).

While playing in Loveland's parking lot if you got a pass there this year?

Or my favorite challenge, leaving the lot at Herman gulch after a big overnight dump after camping in the van.

Sponsor

Staff online