• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How soon to ski after thumb surgery?

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
post op pic. turned out they had to do a graft from my wrist. very little swelling, anchors hurt like hell last though. Should be better today

thumb.JPG

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Sorry to hear about your latest injury. I'm just wondering how many ortho' skids you've put through college :)? You are either their best friend or worst nightmare. Good luck to you, Ron, and keep that sucker elevated! I hope you are practiced at doing things left handed, like holding a beer.

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
just tired of tearing ligaments and labrums. really tired of it. there's seriously something not right with my body where shit tears too easily. really not fun especially when theres 2 feet of fresh out there and 2 more on the way. oh well right? hope to get back out by christmas for easy groomers BTW- im primarily left-handed

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I figured I would answer my own question now that its been 3 months since reconstruction surgery. The simple answer is if you are going to go through all that's involved in this procedure, you should wait the 6 weeks as prescribed. If you re-injure the graft, the fix is to fuse the thumb. It was actually far more painful than I thought (nerve pain, bone healing and forearm ligament splices need to heal) and after a couple of weeks you are already tired of only having the use of one hand. You really have no use of it for the first 6 weeks and even using your arm or other fingers causes a lot of discomfort during this period. Forget even banging it or jamming it. :) I was repeatedly reminded to not fall on it at all cost. After 6 weeks I still couldn't really hold anything with the thumb let alone a ski pole. I was actually cleared to ski in a cast at 5 weeks (and released from skiing in a cast at 8 weeks) and held the pole with my other 4 fingers until i could grasp with the thumb. Its about 85-90% functional now.

James

Out There
Instructor
Any advice for people to avoid this injury? What's your feeling on pole straps?

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Any advice for people to avoid this injury? What's your feeling on pole straps?

I had some great conversations with my OS regarding this. :thumb: So basically, if you are going to wear straps, wear them correctly (not with the strap over the top of the thumb) and try not to fall with an outstretched hand. We also discussed the LEKI breakaway straps, yes, they will break away when skiing gates or trees and your pole gets snagged moving to the side or rear, but they actually will hold your pole in the exact position you don't want it when falling with an outstretched hand.

Otherwise, there are some braces you can buy ( i have this one now) that will fit under most gloves. They aren't fool-proof but they will help. He is actually considering designing a brace or pole for this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090Q0LA4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

it molds to the shape of your thumb with a semi-rigid brace material. Its not as bulky as this picture appears.

81Xn7uT4NCL._SL1500_.jpg

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've seen the brace on Ron's hand and agree that on a male hand it wouldn't be as bulky as it appears in the picture. It might be that or more bulky for a female hand though.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I've seen the brace on Ron's hand and agree that on a male hand it wouldn't be as bulky as it appears in the picture. It might be that or more bulky for a female hand though.

Good observation; correct.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Glad to hear you're mending well (and behaving yourself), Ron

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
no choice! 15 days till the hip gets repaired, gotta be able to use crutches. im pretty much done for the season. still hoping for one last powder day :)

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
no choice! 15 days till the hip gets repaired, gotta be able to use crutches. im pretty much done for the season. still hoping for one last powder day :)
But, but....then you get to hang out with Barb (Betsy's mom) and me for Bety's birthday AND you get to be a beach bum with me over Mother's Day! :hug::yahoo:

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I saw Ron's hand about 2 months ago. Looked just like Luke Skywalker's at the end of The Force Awakens. Time to trade in the Grasssticks for light saber poles -

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
NOO! The @Grass Sticks are still awesome. my hand is fine grasping now as long as I dont jam a pole. One good thing with this was learning to only touch with poles and let the ski's run more and learning to stay over the skis better.

Andrew made me a new pair at 115cm's with the new burnished shafts- Sweet!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I figured I would answer my own question now that its been 3 months since reconstruction surgery. The simple answer is if you are going to go through all that's involved in this procedure, you should wait the 6 weeks as prescribed.

Because I don't remember - did you choose not to wait 6 weeks and have negative consequences?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Nope i was a good patient and did everything the dr prescribed

So many times, the only thing that kept me from misbehaving was the image of going back to the doctor and admitting what I'd done.

James

Out There
Instructor
Have you looked into the Slytech Fortress gloves or mittens? I thought they had a protected thumb besides all their kevlar or whatever it is.
Ligety used them after his thumb or hand break. He is a sponsored athlete though.

Gloves:
YXTFRFD5-1.png

Mittens in alternate color:
IMG_2061.JPG

Sponsor

Staff online