• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll How many ski areas do you ski in a season

How many ski areas do you visit in a season

• 1, I ski only my home mountain

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • 2-5, My pass has a couple of areas on it and thats as far as I go

Votes: 48 50.0%
  • 6-10, I get around

Votes: 28 29.2%
  • 11-15, I really get around

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • 16-20, Home mountain? I am there from time to time.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • 21 Plus, When I am not skiing I am at the airport on the way to ski.

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

Tony

tseeb
Skier
My totals for the last three years when I've done road trips from California to Canada are:
2014-15 20 areas, 8 new to me areas in BC, AB and MT (all new areas while on road trip)
2015-16 19 areas, 6 new to me in BC and 1 new in both WA and OR (all on road trip)
2016-17 16 areas, slacking off, only 4 new to me, 2 in both WA and OR (all on my way N)
It helps when my home area pass covers Northstar, Kirkwood and Heavenly and I have reasons to ski them all, sometimes even more than one on same day.

snofun3

Putting on skis
Skier
I keep a quiver at Whistler Blackcomb, but we'll count that as one area.
Another quiver is in Park City, which services Park City (guess that'll have to be one since they absorbed Canyons), Snowbasin and Snowbird
My son keeps a fair number of his (really mine) skis in Aspen, which will be Highlands, Snowmass and Ajax, and (last season), also to Steamboat, Keystone, Vail and Beaver Creek, so last season was 11.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I am surprised that 50% of respondents visit 1-5 mountains given that it seems everyone but me is buying multi-mountain passes (Rocky Mountain, Mountain Collective, Max Pass, Peak Pass, Powder Alliance, Epic Pass, Tahoe Super Pass, Cali4nia Pass,...).
RMSP only consist of 4 mountains. So anyone having that pass only, would be in the 2-5 camp.

Epic too, if you get the Colorado or Tahoe local, only covers 3-5. And I know a lot of Colorado Local pass holders never ski Beaver Creek. So that's less than 5.

Not everyone buys multi-mountain passes that covers more than 5. It's really a thing for people NOT living near a big mountain.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last year I got to Vail/BC, Mammoth, Alta/Bird, CMH Heli, Park City, Deer Valley, and Winter Park. Big year for me.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Four.

We've been in the same enjoyable "rut" for about a decade:

Mt. Hood Meadows (home), Jackson Hole, Sun Valley and Whitefish Mountain.

We love different things about all four, and they are reasonable drives from home -- we like to bring the dog, lots of dh and xc skis, and hate to fly, so this works out really well.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Surprised I'm in the 11+ category. Between Epic Local, RMSP+, some free day passes at Loveland, and a couple days at Telluride it's doable. Number of resorts will be less next season, but hopefully more days in total :)

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As Phil said, it varies from year to year. This past year was my home mountain, plus one other, plus the Gathering at W/B.
Next year, it will be my home mountain, plus the Gathering (3 more), and since I bought the MCP, probably Sun Valley, and maybe Jackson; possibly a late spring trip to Squaw/Alpine and Mammoth. If I'm really amibitious I might get to Lake Louise and Sunshine Village as well. So possibly 11 or 12.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Most of my travel to other areas is to race, officiate and/or coach. I ski the Basin early and late in the season when Breck isn't open. I avoid Keystone and rarely get to Vail and BC anymore.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I'm in the process of narrowing. Skied 5 last year, but dropping a pass probably only 3 this year. That's due to crowds, terrain and conditions preferences, and distance from home.

Loveland and A-Basin are my home mountains, usually ski a day at Vail with buddies coming into town.

No Copper or WP next season...

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Lifetime average is 16 areas per season, but naturally that has changed over the course of the years.

Through 1996 I averaged 12 total areas, 3-4 new areas per season.

1997-2004 with the start of the annual Canadian trips, average was 16 total, 6 new.

2005-2010 after divorce, average was 20 areas, 6 new.

2011-2016 with retirement and Liz, average is 27 areas, 9 new.

During the 2016-17 season I skied a record 35 areas. The new area count for 2016-17 is 11, fourth highest.

Lifetime total area count of 212 includes 27 snowcat/heli operations and 16 backcountry locations.

Mammoth represents 29.0% of my lifetime skiing. Due to my timeshare, Snowbird is second at 8.6%

This might need a Euro definition. Spent a day in the Arlberg or 3V or 4V and you might be skiing through up to 6 ski areas. Kinda feels weird to class them the same as Mt Anthill mid Atlantic.
I take a fairly liberal view on this. Areas that are large with clearcut geographic separation I count separate. In the Alps sometimes the connections are only by lifts, not ski terrain (Lech to Warth, Kitzbuhel to Pass-Thurn). There are also cases where I skied areas separately before they combined (Snow Summit/Bear Mt., Big Sky/Moonlight) and thus continue to track separately.

Last edited:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
since the early the 70s, every year up to that miserable 2015 season it was always at minimum W/B, Baker Apex, Silver Star Big White Lake Louise and Sunshine
and the bonus since they expanded Revelstoke and Kicking Horse, 9.
on good years always enjoyed extending the loop down to to Fernie Castle Whitefish (13)

Panorama Sun Peaks Red Whitewater and others have also been fairly common stops but I really doubt I've averaged over 16 per year .

This years seasons pass at W/B may cut numbers down but the bigger factor will be the ski buddies who are just not still as interested in making those road trips .

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I take a fairly liberal view on this. Areas that are large with clearcut geographic separation I count separate. In the Alps sometimes the connections are only by lifts, not ski terrain (Lech to Warth, Kitzbuhel to Pass-Thurn). There are also cases where I skied areas separately before they combined (Snow Summit/Bear Mt., Big Sky/Moonlight) and thus continue to track separately.
I take the opposite view. If two or more mountains are covered in the same pass (don't mean multi-area season pass, just regular pass), I count them as one. Example of that would be Aspen, which includes Highland, Snowmass, Ajax and Butternut. I count all that as ONE.

Same for Europe, I count the whole of Dolomite as one. 3 Valley is one. St Moritz is a bit of a stretch, since many of the mountains are not linked by lift and you could actually buy lift pass for each one for less. I still count all the mountains big and small around it as ONE.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Example of that would be Aspen, which includes Highland, Snowmass, Ajax and Butternut. I count all that as ONE.
I would be surprised if many people would count the non-lift connected Aspen areas as one. Chamonix and Davos are other examples with several non-connected areas with a single lift ticket. Needless to say all of these individual examples are more substantial than "Mt. Anthill mid Atlantic."

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
I voted 2-5 but this description isn't accurate: "My pass has a couple of areas on it and thats as far as I go".

My pass is just for 1 area, but I will usually hit up a day or two elsewhere, or a weekend trip to Whistler or somewhere else in BC, or something like that.

Sponsor

Staff online