• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll How many days did you ski in the 2016-17 season?

How many ski days do you have in the 2016-17 season?

• 0-5

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 6-15

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • 16-25

Votes: 12 10.8%
  • 26-40

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • 41-60

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • 61-75

Votes: 15 13.5%
  • 76-90

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • 91-100

• 101-125

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • 126 plus

• Total voters

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
How many days? for me, not enough! ...although I had some quality days since I chased several storms :D (Only skied in NM and CO)

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So far I have 51 at Mammoth, 4 in CO, 4 in Big Sky, 1 at Snow Summit. We have to leave Mammoth on July 2 so that will be 62 total. We have a late July Mammoth trip planned with several friends, and possibly one in August if conditions warrant.

So perhaps about 70 days total.

This is disappointing in such a long season. We ended up cancelling several planned trips because it was blizzarding or would be blizzarding shortly. Yes, we love to ski powder, even what passes for powder in Mammoth. But taking a difficult and possibly dangerous drive, to be "snowed in" and unable to ski because the mountain is closed, or minimally open, is not our favorite thing.

I could be tempted to take a fairly long stay in Mammoth around the time we have friends coming up, and get a few additional days.

No worries about being "snowed in" any more this season, unfortunately, and hoping for another long season next winter.

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
We ended up cancelling several planned trips because it was blizzarding or would be blizzarding shortly. Yes, we love to ski powder, even what passes for powder in Mammoth. But taking a difficult and possibly dangerous drive, to be "snowed in" and unable to ski because the mountain is closed, or minimally open, is not our favorite thing.
Mammoth is usually an undesirable place to ski during storms because so many lifts are closed. You CAN get good storm skiing when 3, 5 and 22 are open, but the more violent storms, like most of them in Jan/Feb 2017, close those lifts too. Now that I'm retired I I try to avoid scheduling into storms, sometimes aim for the 2-3 days after a storm ends, but even there you'll often still have wind and limited lift operations on the first day. 48% of my lifetime skiing at Mammoth is in April or later (vs. 20% of overall skiing) because that's when Mammoth shines most relative to other ski areas.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I was hoping to get another day at Squaw tomorrow (July 2), but it's not going to happen as I had a dirt bike crash yesterday. I wasn't doing anything stupid (unless you consider just riding a dirt bike or riding one without full body armor stupid.) One second I was cruising along on road that had deep dried grass in many places and the next my head, ribs and shoulder were bouncing off a place in road that cows must have tracked up when it was muddy and it dried hard and unevenly.

I'm fortunate that friend was riding with me and I was able to slowly ride dirt bike back to where my vehicle was parked. After taking a couple of Aleve, I drove myself 10+ miles to Kaiser with friend following me on his bike that is freeway legal, but also works on dirt. X-rays showed a non-displaced fracture of my clavicle (collarbone) and minimally displaced fractures of the 3rd through 6th ribs on the same side which makes it very hard and painful to get up and down even with meds they gave me. I have to go in for another X-ray today to make sure my lungs are staying clear and then go to Orthopedist Monday morning. I don't think they will do anything besides look at it and hopefully give me better meds. My planned long weekend trip to Tahoe is off as well as any late July or early August skiing.

So the only skiing I added to the 51 days (and 1.16M vertical feet) reported at https://forum.pugski.com/threads/sl...s-so-far-this-season.2878/page-45#post-117094 was 600 vertical feet of patch skiing on Carson Pass a week ago. Not a very good picture of X-ray, but you get the idea - fracture near center of it.
4765ClavicleRS.JPG

TonyC

Pass Pulled

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I thought I was just doing a follow-up X-ray and that while I was there I would try to get better meds as I had a lot of pain that made it hard to get in or out of bed or chair. But they found pneumothorax (not sure what %) and sent me to emergency where they installed a thoracic vent. It has a one way valve assisted by suction to get air, etc. out of where it does belong between lung and chest wall and worked well. Then they admitted me so I spent my 1st night ever in a hospital and may be here for another night.

TonyC

Pass Pulled
You will definitely be getting that lung inflation measuring device when you get discharged. Are you still in Tahoe? On my next day checkup at Mammoth I had 85% oxygen uptake and was told to descend. I would have been admitted to a hospital if the oxygen uptake did not improve by the time I got home. But it went to 95% in Bishop so I just had doctor visits at home, and was done when the pneumothorax was gone at the second doctor visit 10 days after the accident.

Adam reminded me that you have officially "pulled a Bumgarner."

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got #94 today (see patch skiing TR), looking for 95 tomorrow. I would have had more if Mt. Rose hwy and the resort hadn't been closed so much. Maybe one of these years I will hit 100.

K2 Rat

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was on the hill about 65 days this year. Since I coach ski racing and stand around a lot, I don't bother keeping a close tally on it. I know it has been discussed here about the #of hours or vertical to make a "Day". How does long hours and low vertical stack up ? :) I make up the vertical though by lugging gates around and drilling holes. I once used one of those vertical counting apps -- made a few runs and then stood by the side of a race course. Got a message on it saying " You have not moved in one hour". Turned it off and never put it back on again....

James

Out There
Instructor
I once used one of those vertical counting apps -- made a few runs and then stood by the side of a race course. Got a message on it saying " You have not moved in one hour". Turned it off and never put it back on again....
Did it wonder if "you've fallen and can't get up?"

LJH

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
27 days on March 5 when I broke my Tib/Fib. Looking at Ski Tracks it is showing a bit over 400,000 feet of vertical.

Hoping to be back better then ever next year.

Cheers,
Jim

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I was hoping to get another day at Squaw tomorrow (July 2), but it's not going to happen as I had a dirt bike crash yesterday. I wasn't doing anything stupid (unless you consider just riding a dirt bike or riding one without full body armor stupid.) One second I was cruising along on road that had deep dried grass in many places and the next my head, ribs and shoulder were bouncing off a place in road that cows must have tracked up when it was muddy and it dried hard and unevenly.

I'm fortunate that friend was riding with me and I was able to slowly ride dirt bike back to where my vehicle was parked. After taking a couple of Aleve, I drove myself 10+ miles to Kaiser with friend following me on his bike that is freeway legal, but also works on dirt. X-rays showed a non-displaced fracture of my clavicle (collarbone) and minimally displaced fractures of the 3rd through 6th ribs on the same side which makes it very hard and painful to get up and down even with meds they gave me. I have to go in for another X-ray today to make sure my lungs are staying clear and then go to Orthopedist Monday morning. I don't think they will do anything besides look at it and hopefully give me better meds. . View attachment 26230

Sorry about your dirt bike accident. hope the pain goes a way within a month.
2 years ago in September I fell off a MTB on a canal trail near home -then rode home. Luckely I was nearly stopped so it was just bad scrapes below both knees
which healed prior to ski season. Did need PT due to one knee swelling up some.

Once met a head doctor at Kaiser ( inventor of the HPV vaccine) who was wearing a neck brace due to a bad MTB over the handlebars fall.
He is now fine Not much they can do for rib and collarbone breaks. Just need to heal naturally.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Sorry about your dirt bike accident. hope the pain goes a way within a month.
Thanks John. Today was the first day I got out of rented hospital bed in the morning without giving 1/2 Percocet time to kick in.

I thought my crash was only at 15-20 mph, but guy riding behind me (whose bike has speedometer) said he thought we were going closer to 25 mph. Then I hit the uneven, very hard ground solidly, without any slide or roll to absorb any of the impact.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I had a day at Alpine Meadows (my first there) back in early '90s, got a bit of a late start after picking up a pair of rentals (black Dynastars that were right/left-specific) somewhere in Truckee, probably arrived about 10. Not many cars in the lot, and it was snowing like mad.
Nice young lady at the window says there aren't a lot of lifts running, am I sure I want to buy a day pass? Yeah, I'm here to ski so let's do it.
Walked out, clicked in, jumped on the nearest lift -- pretty much beginner stuff, so at the top I saw another lift heading higher and got on that (turns out it was the Yellow).
Headed downhill in 5-6 inches of incredibly light powder.
Got down to the loading station and they'd closed the lift; skied to the bottom and found everything had shut down.
So, a single run, that at the time qualified as "one of the greatest of my life."
Was that a day of skiing?
For me...:yeah:

Sponsor