• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How Do You Transport Your Bike?

How do you transport your bike?

• Roof Trays

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Hitch Mount

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • Strap Rack

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • In vehicle (bed, trunk, cargo area)

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Big problem at moment. Had 3 strap-on's before moving twice. VERY carefully brought the one
not given to thrift stores. It's gone :huh: ??? Do have a hitch rack for the SUV we'd rather not
use as the SUV really sucks gas. Have put one bike in car several times. But tomorrow we want
to take car with 2 bikes to Mendocino. No good solutions. :(

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hitch mount Yakima tray for Robin's Suby. I have a hitch available on my Highlander as well bu tusually have my bike with front wheel and seat off standing upside down on the side of the cargo area

IMG_0195.jpg

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Found a strap rack after I gave up yesterday. Only $15 almost new. Had the Highlander washed and ready (for a hitch rack)
Just arrived in Mendocino today with the strap rack on a Prius. No problems. Bikes get used tomorrow ! 1st time on the coast.
Trish's birthday today- had to do this!

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
It's surprising how much the roofrack can affect MPG. I had a good size roadtrip this weekend, about 12 hrs of driving, so I took the rack off the S4. Averaged 27.5 MPG for the weekend. Not sure exactly, but I'd say I normally average about 25 with a bare rack and barely over 20 with bikes on the rack. Ouch.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's surprising how much the roofrack can affect MPG. I had a good size roadtrip this weekend, about 12 hrs of driving, so I took the rack off the S4. Averaged 27.5 MPG for the weekend. Not sure exactly, but I'd say I normally average about 25 with a bare rack and barely over 20 with bikes on the rack. Ouch.
We notice it more on the Jetta than we do on the Yukon, 15% at least on the Jetta, less than 5% on the big guy.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I either go with a tray style hitch mount (same one as @Crank) and/or hanging over the truck tailgate depending on the number of bicycles I'm transporting.

IMG_3810.JPG

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Anyone else ever get a warning from the police about the hitch mount bikes blocking the view of the rear license plate? One of the scout troop members had that happen awhile ago.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nice bump.
To answer your question, nope.
I've never had an issue with this. I mean, you can tow a trailer and other such vehicles that block the plate, right?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Anyone else ever get a warning from the police about the hitch mount bikes blocking the view of the rear license plate? One of the scout troop members had that happen awhile ago.
No..but I've often noticed this and thought it could be a problem. For various reasons.. Personally, I don't know what you're supposed to do about it but I do wonder how many people leave their racks on all year so they can avoid paying toll charges..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Nice bump.
To answer your question, nope.
I've never had an issue with this. I mean, you can tow a trailer and other such vehicles that block the plate, right?
Trailers require a plate that is also tied to the car owner's registration somehow. A trailer plate even also requires a light same as a car plate.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
When we've done family bike activities we loaded all the family in a van or suburban, and all the bikes in a pick-up and hauled the whole mess to the ride location. Round-trip rides were no big deal but point-to-point rides required some back-and-forth to stage a vehicle at each end of the ride while the group waited, and then the same game at the end to fetch the stranded vehicle and gather everything up to head home.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
In North Carolina even a license plate frame that blocks any part of the text on the plate is illegal.. came up because some obscure some of the top or bottom of the plate where the state name is written.

Same in some other states:

Drivers may be fined if license plate trim covers part of Fla. plate

This Michigan State Trooper says hitch racks can, indeed cause illegal plate obstruction..

Probably just get a warning the first time or two, but if there anything at else not 100% legal going on with the vehicle or occupants I'd not use a hitch rack at all. It is begging to get stopped by the cops and hassled some.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Huh. No. I'll take a look when I put a bike on my car later today ... see how bad it is.

I had two roof trays with fork mounts for the longest time, mounted on extra wide bars so that I didn't have to reach across the roof to get the bike. My husband's old car had a scratch on the roof from me trying that, and failing. Then when I got a downhill bike that had fully enclosed axles, I "had" to get a hitch mount - there are other ways, but I wasn't going to lift a 40 pound bike off the roof, anyway. Which meant I had to get a hitch installed. For the smaller hitches, you can only get two-bike racks - but honestly, those four bike racks are craaaaazy long. I can't imagine being able to be park most places. Would be handy for long trips, but then I'd think I'd still want a smaller one for, say, riding after work.

If I only have one bike and have to leave it alone for a while, I'll typically put it inside the car. Bike thieves can get into racks *so* easily. At least with the car they might have to break a window and risk getting someone's attention.

I still have one roof tray on my car next to the roof box, so technically I can haul three bikes - four if you count the inside of the car, but then I could only fit two people inside.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Over the bed, behind the cab.

20170616_094714_Queen Of The West Road.jpg

I don't travel with the bike up there often so I don't know its impact on mileage. I get 20 mpg with 117K miles on the vehicle. I got 21 mpg when it was brand new, without the rack. The 'imitation rain gutters' are mounted on 1x3 lumber which in turn is bolted through pre-existing holes in the truck bed rails. It is all standard Thule, except for the tennis balls and duct tape. ogwink

Sponsor

Staff online