• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
when they started showing up in my pj's in bed........that was it!!! LOL
I agree they get everywhere.
Surely you could put in a vac system?
What about those spirals of metal from filing? They really stick.
-Apron is a good idea.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
What about those spirals of metal from filing? They really stick.

Those are bad, but nowhere near as bad as high speed tool steel wire brushes. Stray bristles from those require 2-3 passes with the shopvac before I dare walk through the work area without boots.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Well when you have the right blue paper towel ......
So, what is the right brand of blue paper towel? I use the Scott shop towels from Costco, they seem to work very well.

James

Out There
Instructor
So, what is the right brand of blue paper towel? I use the Scott shop towels from Costco, they seem to work very well.
The ones that work. ogsmile
You'll know it when they don't.

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Thank you - I noted those towels when last at Costco and wondered if those blue shop towels were what @Philpug was describing. Will pick up on next trip. I am also taking @James story to heart and make sure I perfect technique on my soon to be replaced skis.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I use professional white hand towels. I get them free right now. I have a few boxes to last me a few years. :)

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
kinda lentil shaped - evaporative loss and re-condensation is the biggest driver - but yeah.

Evaporation or sublimation?

Thread drift brought to you by the OP.....

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
kinda lentil shaped - evaporative loss and re-condensation is the biggest driver - but yeah. In our case, wicking is the biggest driver, so we need to use it to our advantage.
More or less the same thing that happens to make weak snowpack even without going above freezing.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
More or less the same thing that happens to make weak snowpack even without going above freezing.

If you're talking about depth hoar, then yeah, except with a mean free path variance not a temp gradient.

Hmmm. Maybe it's time to dig out my statistics books and look at that problem again.

James

Out There
Instructor
^^ Interesting technique. Not sure it's much different than melting in first other than prob using less wax.
More interesting is the iron! Doubtful it's a solid base, but if it is good lord! It's like 2 1/2 inches thick.

squill

Getting on the lift
Skier
The company is Gallium out of Japan. I stumbled upon them searching youtube for blending wax/ski wax mfging this fall, but use a variation of the technique to wax my skis & boards. Like @pugski stated in #8, there is literally no wax to scrape with the added bonus of cleaning dirt and debris from the base w/o solvents is nice too. The attached is two passes after about five days on spring snow.

Here's a link to the iron in the video:{
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/tanabesp/item/cd25679/?s-id=borderless_recommend_item_en

Attachments

• PSX_20170328_204555.jpg
    PSX_20170328_204555.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 57

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Roger that! I got the one from Tognar Toolworks!!!

And are your wax temps F or C??? It sounds awfully low for Fahrenheit ?!?! I usually run about 250F for my waxing iron (checked with a Coverite thermometer), wax is Hertel Hot Sauce for fun skis and FC739 for race planks...

Same thing I'm doing. 739 on the race boards and hot sauce on all else. I bought some "butter" for a spring overlay in wet conditions but due to a surgery in February I wasn't able to put it to the test.

Have you ran any type of "race" overlays on the 739?

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Same thing I'm doing. 739 on the race boards and hot sauce on all else. I bought some "butter" for a spring overlay in wet conditions but due to a surgery in February I wasn't able to put it to the test.

Have you ran any type of "race" overlays on the 739?

I ran their gold over that and it goes like stink, but it's not cheap. Rubbing it though, it lasts a while.

They're not very good gliders under -15C though. Even a plain HC cold is better there.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
I think I ran Wend paste wax over it on a trip to make the wax job last longer, but usually the only thing over the top I use is Zardoz after a few days. It's too bad our timeshare in Park City doesn't have a room in the garage we could use for waxing skis...

Sponsor

Staff online