• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hellos from Alberta

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Hi, everyone -

After seeing that the Gathering info would be hosted on pugski - I decided to finally sign up. I've been a longtime lurker and now I have another ski forum to distract me :) Some of you know me as @albertanskigirl on ski diva, or epic. That's still my name here :) My actual name is Sabrina.

I started skiing in my early 30s when I moved to the lovely city of Calgary, and figured out very quickly that I really needed to find something to keep me entertained for the 7-8 months of winter here :) Since then, I've fallen in love with skiing, and winter too! But it was a tough road - I still think confidence is always a big obstacle when you learn to ski as an adult. My partner is a Coloradan, now living in Alberta, and we tend to spend a lot of time in the mountains, with our two kids. We most frequently ski Sunshine and Lake Louise. I've been skiing for almost 5 years now, and consider myself to be a very low advanced skier - I'm comfortable on ungroomed blacks in any condition here, but want to become a much better and graceful skier. I may get down most things...but it's not always pretty. But I did discover over the past year that maybe bumps might just be enjoyable for me...We also ski Fernie, Marmot, and I went to Whistler for the first time this past December and absolutely loved it. It snowed like crazy for the whole time I was there, so I'd love to go back to Whistler and some point so I can actually see what it looks like.

I got the MCP for next season - we will definitely make use of the LL, Sunshine and Revy tickets. We got the third day at Sunshine, and this pass for us is worth is even with just those three and the kids pass for DD. I'd love to come to Utah - it would be my first time skiing outside of Canada, and first gathering!

Here's to a great end-of-the-season!

Last edited:

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
I'm similar to your partner, I too am a former Coloradan living in Alberta (Canmore).

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Hi, everyone -

After seeing that the Gathering info would be hosted on pugski - I decided to finally sign up. I've been a longtime lurker and now I have another ski forum to distract me :) Some of you know me as @albertanskigirl on ski diva, or epic. That's still my name here :) My actual name is Sabrina.

I started skiing in my early 30s when I moved to the lovely city of Calgary, and figured out very quickly that I really needed to find something to keep me entertained for the 7-8 months of winter here :) Since then, I've fallen in love with skiing, and winter too! But it was a tough road - I still think confidence is always a big obstacle when you learn to ski as an adult. My partner is a Coloradan, now living in Alberta, and we tend to spend a lot of time in the mountains, with our two kids. We most frequently ski Sunshine and Lake Louise. I've been skiing for almost 5 years now, and consider myself to be a very low advanced skier - I'm comfortable on ungroomed blacks in any condition here, but want to become a much better and graceful skier. I may get down most things...but it's not always pretty. But I did discover over the past year that maybe bumps might just be enjoyable for me...We also ski Fernie, Marmot, and I went to Whistler for the first time this past December and absolutely loved it. It snowed like crazy for the whole time I was there, so I'd love to go back to Whistler and some point so I can actually see what it looks like.

I got the MCP for next season - we will definitely make use of the LL, Sunshine and Revy tickets. We got the third day at Sunshine, and this pass for us is worth is even with just those three and the kids pass for DD. I'd love to come to Utah - it would be my first time skiing outside of Canada, and first gathering!

Here's to a great end-of-the-season!

The best time to ski Whistler is in April as the crowds are gone, everything is on sale (rooms as well, I think), and in April is the best chance that the sun shines.

CSIA has an event the first part of May. Thinking about it....never been to LL.

Lake Louise is worth it just for the scenery and the terrain ain't bad either. Not known as a powder mountain and in Jan and Feb LL can be as cold as Tremblant. So like Whistler, Lake Louise imo is best skied in April.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We skied Lake Louise at the end of February and it was STUNNING, STUNNING, STUNNING. The few days we were there it was blue bird conditions and temps in the mid teens with no wind. Steepest terrain I've ever been on and we had a blast. Did the mountain friends tour one day and the next day @albertanskigirl met up with us all took us all over the mountain. We kept having to stop and take pictures. I thought Owls Head, Quebec was gorgeous on a clear day but this was an entire other level. It was hard packed just like home and we had to send our demo skis back for an additional sharpening but I loved the groomer zoomer terrain. I also loved the lodge, great après ski. We're making plans to go back soon hopefully next year.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Glad you found your way here. Looking forward to skiing with you next winter.
:rocks:

TS
albertanskigirl

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Welcome and helloo..........:). Had so much fun skiing with you at Lake Louise. As kid rock says welcome to the party.

So much fun! See you next year!!!

CSIA has an event the first part of May. Thinking about it....never been to LL.

@Jilly - you should totally do it. you've been threatening to come out here for a while now :) It'll be slushy and warm at the lake, but it's so much fun in May. I'm leaving for work to Berlin on May 6 - so if you are here before that, let me know!

Hi, Sabrina!

Hi, Jenny! have you made your spring skiing plans yet?

TS
albertanskigirl

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
The best time to ski Whistler is in April as the crowds are gone, everything is on sale (rooms as well, I think), and in April is the best chance that the sun shines.

Lake Louise is worth it just for the scenery and the terrain ain't bad either. Not known as a powder mountain and in Jan and Feb LL can be as cold as Tremblant. So like Whistler, Lake Louise imo is best skied in April.

@DanoT - I'm totally going to come to Sun Peaks one year and ski with you!

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@albertanskigirl - should be getting an update from Jilly this weekend. As long as conditions aren't too slushy to warrant the drive, I think we'll be seeing what Mont Tremblant is like.

va_deb

Getting on the lift
Skier
Waving hi, Sabrina. :wave:

You will love it here!

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hopefully we'll meet up next time you're around here!

Unfortunately I never made it out there bec there were bears running across the slopes by the time I was going so I cancelled due to lack of snow. LMAO. I was so excited to check out the Banff area. If I ever replan the trip I'll let ya know and thanks for all the good info during my planning! :beercheer:

Sponsor

Staff online