• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review Head Absolute Joy demo...loved it!

va_deb

Getting on the lift
Skier
From what I've heard, there is no middle ground on the newish Head Joy series introduced in 2015 for the 2016 season. Women seem to love them or hate them. After an impromptu mid-Atlantic demo I had no doubt about which camp I was in.

About me: 5’1", 135ish, age 49, intermediate cruiser still learning and finding her ski legs.
Usual slopes: Mid-Atlantic Virginia or WV; occasionally Tahoe (early April this year...woo-hoo!)
Current daily driver: Elan Twilight 84 in 159; 128-84-108; TR 13

The skis: Head Absolute Joy in 153; 129-79-109; TR 12
Construction: Graphene Women's Camber, ERA 3.0 Super Light Weight Distribution Power Sidewall Jacket Superlite Composite Core Highly transparent UHM base Allride Rocker

Testing conditions:
Rare East Coast powder day and uber-crowded at Wisp Resort in McHenry, MD. Cold temps in the teens. Very windy, with powder on top of boilerplate and snow coming down all day. I hadn't demoed yet this season and was itching to try a wider ski for the powder, piles, chop, crud and scraped-down/blown off hardpack.

Everyone and their mother, sister, aunt and neighbor seemed to be on the mountain that late January Sunday. Lots of beginners, folks who haven't skied in 10-20 years, and boarders to dodge added to the fun. (Not!) My Elan Twilights were already bucking me a bit in some of the chop and crud by mid-morning and didn't feel as solid as I would have liked on the icy spots. All the wider-waisted skis in my size were gone, and the Absolute Joy with a narrower waist was my only demo option.

I almost took a pass due to the conditions and the specs being somewhat close to my Elans, but the young woman in the demo shop said she really liked the Absolute Joys. She assured me that they would feel different from the Elans, and that the shovels and rocker were good for a few inches of powder and would still serve me well on the ice.

The verdict:
It was an ideal demo day with so many different conditions depending on where you were on the hill, and since it was super-crowded I got to put the Joys through their paces even more than usual.

These skis are so light they almost seemed comically light -- and the tips seemed comically wide at first. I was disappointed they didn't have them in the 158, but I did fine on the 153. They were very turny and there were a few occasions where my tips almost crossed here and there. I was glad I didn't go longer; no need since I wasn't planning to do steeps or go fast.

The 2 - 3 inches of fresh powder quickly morphed into blown-off hardpack and ice. In addition to the powder and ice there was chop, crud, some death cookies here and there, occasional bumps, plus dust on crust and dust on ice. And later in the day they chose to blow snow on many runs to get a better base.

The Absolute Joys rocked it in everything from fabulous grin-inducing powder to the icy, choppy, cruddy, windblown, dust on crust nastiness, and kept me upright even in almost whiteout conditions between real snow and snow guns. In short, the Joys made this cautious intermediate feel like an actual skier.

They loved the fresh powder, cruised over or through the crud and chop, and handled the ice and hardpack without batting an eye. And did I mention that I don't love crowds? They gave me confidence at new to me resort where dodging folks who bit off more hill than they should have -- on both green and blue runs -- was a constant.

The AJs were absolutely smooth and stable, and just plain fun. They loved doing short and medium smeared turns and they bit into the icy patches. I loved that they made me feel like a better skier. Didn't test them on blacks or significant steeps, but some of the blues and greens were pitchy in places and several of the longer greens skied more like blues on some other Mid-A hills.

I don't do bumps, but it was bumpy here and there due to the wind and the conditions. I was going much faster than usual since they gave me so much confidence, and I ended up unintentionally catching some air on several bumps. Thankfully, I stayed upright. They were that stable.

On pitchier narrow Mid-A runs my usual M.O. with crowds is to move over to the side and wait for some room to make wider turns and go down slowly, but I told myself to trust the Joys. I'm so glad I did.

My time on the AJ made me want to try all of the other intermediate to advanced Head Joy skis. I definitely want to track some down in Tahoe.

To sum it up: Fun and confidence-inspiring, with a pretty generous sweet spot. Ladies, demo the Joys if you have an opportunity. Men, encourage any cautious green-lower blue women in your lives to give these a try if an opportunity arises. They are amazingly light, yet stable and powerful. And love may be in the air. Cheers to more Joy-ful skiing!

Last edited:

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
[QUOTE="va_deb, post: 96079, member: 1420" From what I've heard, there is no middle ground on the newish Head Joy series introduced in 2015 for the 2016 season. Women seem to love them or hate them. After an impromptu mid-Atlantic demo I had no doubt about which camp I was in.
[/QUOTE]

Nice review and interesting observation (highlighted). I've sold well over a hundred of the various "Joy" models and a large majority of the users give 'em positive raves. It's possible that I don't hear much negative because I'm a little careful about whom I suggest 'em to. I usually ask the potential customer about their skiing style and if it sounds like they are one that tends to actively try to slide the tails of the skis around, I'll usually suggest a different choice. OTH, as long as the skier sounds like one who is aware of what the edges do, I think the Joy skis are great choices.

BTW......when I first tested the Joy skis a few years back, I tested a 158 and was riding the lift thinking to myself......."these are stupid light and this just won't work at all".......but it did.

SJ

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, my wife is also loving her Super Joy groomer zoomers.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sooooo......? Don't leave us hanging; my GF is looking for new skis.
Actually. shape is very similar to the Renoun Z90 but lighter and not as connected to the snow. Turn shape is great and powerful, a hard snow biased 90mm ski that will be good for a lot of strong women skiers.

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
After a really quickie spin (will get more time later) on the Kore 93, I am changing my ordering strategery and ordering it in the small sizes as well. I think this will be a spectacular ski for lighter skiers wanting a very light ski that is an alternative to the giant sidecuts of the Joy series.

SJ

TS
va_deb

va_deb

Getting on the lift
Skier
Nice review,
My wife just skied the Great Joy, and loved it too!
Cheers,
Wade

Glad your wife loved it as well, Wade! Did she end up pulling the trigger?

TS
va_deb

va_deb

Getting on the lift
Skier
"I've sold well over a hundred of the various "Joy" models and a large majority of the users give 'em positive raves. It's possible that I don't hear much negative because I'm a little careful about whom I suggest 'em to. I usually ask the potential customer about their skiing style and if it sounds like they are one that tends to actively try to slide the tails of the skis around, I'll usually suggest a different choice. OTH, as long as the skier sounds like one who is aware of what the edges do, I think the Joy skis are great choices.

BTW......when I first tested the Joy skis a few years back, I tested a 158 and was riding the lift thinking to myself......."these are stupid light and this just won't work at all".......but it did."

I'm so glad you helped women find a ski that they very likely enjoyed because you didn't just hand them something, @Sierrajim. Head would be wise to advise others on the retail and demo side to pick up your line of questioning. Too often, IMO, men in the shop -- not all men, but some, especially when the shop is busy -- will just hand the ski over without asking the woman about her experience, skiing style, and why she is interested in a particular ski. Thanks for helping to give women skiers a better skiing experience!

I can guarantee that more than a few women skiers went to check out a Joy in the shop but picked it up then decided to try something else because they assumed that nothing that light would meet their needs. Glad we are helping to set the record straight! :)

I've done a decent amount of demoing across different brands, and my time on that ski really did make me want to try every Joy that Head offers (except maybe that super-skinny high 60s carver). I'm coming to Tahoe next week, so hopefully I will get my wish!

I think Head needs to sign me to up to rep their Joy skis so I can help with point-of-purchase ideas and word-of-mouth marketing. ;-)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Actually. shape is very similar to the Renoun Z90 but lighter and not as connected to the snow. Turn shape is great and powerful, a hard snow biased 90mm ski that will be good for a lot of strong women skiers.

'course there aren't a lot of 195# women out there. :) Sold two pairs of wild joys yesterday and one kore 93 to women... Well under 195#. :)

TS
va_deb

va_deb

Getting on the lift
Skier
FWIW, my wife is also loving her Super Joy groomer zoomers.

Glad she is enjoying those, Tom. Hoping to demo them as well. They definitely have some fans in the Mid-A where I normally ski.

TS
va_deb

va_deb

Getting on the lift
Skier
@TahoeCharlie What is your wife thinking about in terms of new skis? Has she demoed, or still in the thinking stage? Or do you think she needs new skis so she can keep up with you even better? ;-)

TahoeCharlie

...Major Tom...
Skier
@TahoeCharlie What is your wife thinking about in terms of new skis? Has she demoed, or still in the thinking stage? Or do you think she needs new skis so she can keep up with you even better? ;-)

Mary has not skied in 4-5 years do to weight/health problems; but this past year she has lost a significant amount of height and will be skiing again this fall.

BTW, all my lady friends love me because I ski WITH them instead of blasting down the mtn and waiting for them as some of their significant others do.

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
@va_deb.....

Good input and thanks. For next year, I am buying the Kore 93 in the smallest sizes b/c it offers a counterpoint to the wider Joy models as far as sidecut/shape are concerned. The sidecut thing within the context of the term "all mountain" is just not well understood by a majority of ski shops let alone their customers. Nothing is a free lunch but a majority of skiers and shops don't "get" that.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@va_deb.....

Good input and thanks. For next year, I am buying the Kore 93 in the smallest sizes b/c it offers a counterpoint to the wider Joy models as far as sidecut/shape are concerned. The sidecut thing within the context of the term "all mountain" is just not well understood by a majority of ski shops let alone their customers. Nothing is a free lunch but a majority of skiers and shops don't "get" that.

When you say side cut, are you referring the the dimension from tip, foot to tail? The Kore being less?

Sierrajim

Ski Savant
Industry Insider
When you say side cut, are you referring the the dimension from tip, foot to tail? The Kore being less?

Yes, exactly that. The "joy" skis have sidecut proportions closer to say the Supershapes while the "Kore" skis have proportions closer to the Monsters.

Sponsor

Staff online