• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Has anyone sold their TDI back yet?

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
We turned in my wife's 2014 Golf in mid-January. Had the check within 2 weeks, the loan (through VW credit) was paid off shortly afterwards. She misses the fuel mileage of the TDI, and the acceleration the torque provided. She doesn't miss the smell of diesel fuel on her hands, and she's REALLY liking the way her new Alltrack rides and drives, especially in bad weather. Now if they can just get apple carplay to work 100%...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Our 2010 Jetta SW TDI just went back this AM and it was bitter sweet. Yes, I was upset when the announcement was made but as time went on it became evident that another VW was to be the replacement The 2010 with over 150K was actually tighter than my son's Impreza with nary 40K miles which ins one of the reasons we ended back in the VW.

While up to the return day, the whole process was painfully slow, I first submitted the paperwork back in November last year which means it was over 6 months to get the appointment. For as long as it took to get the appointment the process was blazingly fast, we were in and out of the dealership in 10 minutes. The rep came out to look at the car, by look at it, they opened the door, took a picture of the odometer, then took a picture of the VIN in the windshield and didn't even look at the front where there was a bit of damage.

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
We gave our 2013 back May 8th after a two week wait for the appointment. The turn-in meeting was quick and painless. We went with an electronic transfer for the pay-out, and since we still haven't received the $ (VW and Chase are working on it, long story) probably should gone with a check not the electronic transfer. Sorry to see the Red Wonder go away. Having had a previous VW diesel last over 20 years, 82 Audi 4000 sedan, thought the Jetta would have lasted forever. Replaced it with an Alltrack. If we ever get the money from VW the cost was almost a wash. Sorry it had to happen. Now we wait for the fix to the 2014 Audi A6 diesel. Got a little to excited about VW diesels for a year to so there.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
While up to the return day, the whole process was painfully slow, I first submitted the paperwork back in November last year which means it was over 6 months to get the appointment.

Wow, that's ridiculous. I wonder if perhaps it's related to submitting the paperwork early in the process and there was just a backup until they worked through them? I haven't submitted the paperwork yet, but will be curious how long it takes once we finally decide to go ahead and do it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow, that's ridiculous. I wonder if perhaps it's related to submitting the paperwork early in the process and there was just a backup until they worked through them? I haven't submitted the paperwork yet, but will be curious how long it takes once we finally decide to go ahead and do it.
I thought it was too. I also wondered if it was because I was outspoken on the whole situation.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier

From what I understand they had a lot of trouble getting things up and going with the first batch of applicants. I think turn-arounds are pretty quick now. Uploaded all the required paperwork on Tues, so we'll see. Hoping to get a date in July ...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In VW's defense, this was unprecidented. There was no guideling set up to return 800,000 vehicles. Did VW do it the way I would have? No, I woudl have turned this chicken $hit situation into a chicken salad one. IMHO, VW's arrogance cost their dealers, suppliers and everyone who is directly related to them millions of dollars. VW could have used this to catapult the brand into the next 25 years.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Dadskier I'm not sure if I should like your post or not. :(

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In VW's defense, this was unprecidented. There was no guideling set up to return 800,000 vehicles. Did VW do it the way I would have? No, I woudl have turned this chicken $hit situation into a chicken salad one. IMHO, VW's arrogance cost their dealers, suppliers and everyone who is directly related to them millions of dollars. VW could have used this to catapult the brand into the next 25 years.
This is likely the best observation and comment made!!!! :hail:

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Dadskier I'm not sure if I should like your post or not. :(

Yeah, mixed feelings. Sad to be saying goodbye to a car that's been great. Excited to be moving up to one of these:

1h%20blue%20driver%20glare.JPG

Going to miss the MT and MPG the most.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Waiting for the long term test

I posted my thoughts on the test drive in the Atlas thread. New model and all that, there will probably be a few bugs to work out, but 6 yr 72k warranty should help. Best use of space in this size vehicle I've seen.

blikkem

Booting up
Skier
My friend had a Golf TDI and bought a Eos hard top convertible, after test driving a Volvo SUV.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, Eos is the Goddess of Dawn.
I remember looking that up when I was skiing the Blizzard Eos ski. :)
I think that was 9 years ago or so.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I got the paperwork for "the fix" for Gen 2 TDI's. I'll be making an appointment for our '14.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I got the paperwork for "the fix" for Gen 2 TDI's. I'll be making an appointment for our '14.

Andy, just noticed in the latest C&D (or maybe was it the other one? they were both in the mail today) they had tested a Passat with the fix

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Andy, just noticed in the latest C&D (or maybe was it the other one? they were both in the mail today) they had tested a Passat with the fix
Supposedly there is little noticeable difference. Even if we lose a few mpg it will still be better than anything else I could get.

Sponsor

Staff online