• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Grom ski question (Kastle XX85 jr.)

mxpowder

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
So looking to get my daughter some new skis for next year. She's currently 10 years old, 5' and 86 lbs. She is currently skiing some 130 Moment Zephyr twin tip skis and is ready for the next size up. Looking around online, I was contumplating ordering her a pair of Volkl Mantras jr's or some Kastle XX85 jr skis I found online. I ordered a pair of Kastle XX85 jr. skis in a 145 length. Later when doing some further research, I found the 2016 Kastle XX85 jr. skis are asymmetric with 120mm tips and tails with 85mm underfoot.

We ski at Mammoth Mountain, Ca and she would be using this ski as her all mountain ski. My concern is the asymmetric aspect of the listed Kastle skis. Does anyone think this will be an issue, and should I mount forward or on the line for all mountain skiing (as opposed to true center)? I'm debating weather I made a mistake and should consider something like the Mantra jr. skis? She skis very aggressively on blue runs including carving. She can ski black and double black diamond runs, but is much more cautious of a skier on advanced runs, and she likes jumping off small natural features on runs. Typical kid I guess. She's been skiing since she was about 3 years old. She doesn't ski switch, or do tricks yet. Demoing kids skis in my area is not an option. Any informed would be appreciated.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The XX skis are symmetric not asymmetric (you might have mixed them up) but your concern is founded. While the main thing I look for in a kid's ski is that if they can bend it. Is the design perfect, maybe not but if you look how many options you have at 85mm underfoot? Not many. I would chose this ski 10 times out of 10 over the Mantra, zero camber is worse than a symmetric sidecut. As far as mounting, look at BOF (Ball Of Foot) over the true center of the ski and that should allow the ski to ski pretty close to traditional.

TS
M

mxpowder

Skier
Got it reference symmetric. Is there any other ski that comes to mind that would be a no brainer to get her? Or do you believe the listed Kastle XX85 will be fine. I understand what your saying with the reverse camber of the Mantra Jr.
Thanks…

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
Got it reference symmetric. Is there any other ski that comes to mind that would be a no brainer to get her? Or do you believe the listed Kastle XX85 will be fine. I understand what your saying with the reverse camber of the Mantra Jr.
Thanks…

Sounds like she's headed into the dreaded "tweener zone". Phil's comment about flex is paramount. Your daughter could probably get away with a certain ski with her aggressive skiing on blues, but those same skis might feel too stiff for improving her skills on steeper/off piste stuff.

For reference, my older daughter is turning ten in a couple of months. She's about 4'6" and weighs 55 lbs (yes, we do feed her). She skis the Atomic Century II (twin tip junior ski) in a 130, but it's only 80mm underfoot. Those were the same as the Punx, just with a girly top sheet.
Now Atomic has the Backland Girl III which are available in 140 and 150cm at an 85mm waist. Those might be the next ski for my daughter after she eats a few more cheeseburgers.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I would stay away from any symmetrical skis......they are pointless, unless you are primarily a park rat, and even then the vast majority of people who ski park do not need or ski symmetrical skis. even if mounted back from the center, they still ski anything but perfect groomer really weird and you may teach her ski ski back seat.....

I have to against Phil here....there are tons of kids in our local weekly program on Mantra and the ski seems to work for hacks and good skiers alike for skiing primary off trail in all conditions, it might not be my first pick, but I would never anyone I cared about getting better on a symmetrical park ski. Park ski sure, symmetrical park ski hell no.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would stay away from any symmetrical skis......they are pointless, unless you are primarily a park rat, and even then the vast majority of people who ski park do not need or ski symmetrical skis. even if mounted back from the center, they still ski anything but perfect groomer really weird and you may teach her ski ski back seat.....

I have to against Phil here....there are tons of kids in our local weekly program on Mantra and the ski seems to work for hacks and good skiers alike for skiing primary off trail in all conditions, it might not be my first pick, but I would never anyone I cared about getting better on a symmetrical park ski. Park ski sure, symmetrical park ski hell no.

Neither of these skis are far from ideal, I think we will agree there are better options than both of these skis. The original Manta jr. was actually cambered it was same mold, this ski was the Gotama Jr. and now called the Mantra Jr.. Elan has a real nice 85mm ski, @epic mentioned the Ranger, Faction has a 85mm ski upcoming as does K2 with a new Pinnacle kids ski. All better than these two options.

TS
M

mxpowder

Skier
Okay, so after reading the responses I am canceling my XX85 order and planning on going with the Fischer Ranger option. It seems the Fischer Ranger option will allow for a more traditional ski option and still be a quality deal.

Sponsor