• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Got new orthotics now what.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Got orthotics for my boots. They are Lange RX100 LV boots. Trouble is they are thicker than the old green super feet or the set of cork ones made for me at a ski shop years ago. Due to a foot tendon issue that is part of the answer. Figures finally get the perfectish fit and now they are abit to tight. Guess there is not much chance of everything breaking in is there? Spend alot of time in these boots as I patrol and we have a longer day than most skiers. Guess new boots right! Just hate getting new boots. New skis are fun but boots well thats another story. Anybody recommend a simular boot, maybe higher volume if the same boot if its available. Going to see a boot fitter when the shops are going again in October.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is this a doctors perscribed corrective orthotic or a footbed built for a ski boot? A proper footbed should not take up more volume or be significantly thicker. Not a smartass question but were your old footbeds or the stock footbeds removed from the boot before the new ones were installed? We all have done it. If it was a footbed built for your boots, did you have your boots with you when you had the beds made? Could you post pictures of the orthotic?

TS
kayco53

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
I had a old set of footbeds made at a ski shop and used them till they wore out.Then came the superfeet. liked them but not quite the right support. These are a perscribed orthotics. They are supposed to be for ski boots. Have put them in my regular shoes hoping to break them in abit. They look as thin as the superfeet but a bit more arch support.Isn'tthat where the low volume part is the top of the foot???Think I will take them back to the orthotics place and see what they can do.I like a good performance fit on the boot ,. But don't want cold or hurting feet. The tendon thing progressed during the season but I held off till seasons end because I wanted to ski.Need to have boots bumped slightly in the spot know anyway.Yes the footbeds were removed before the new ones were put in. Not a dumb question because I would sure have felt dumb if they were in and nobody had told me.See a lot of strange things on the ski hill. One of my favorites is where somebody came in and the whole front of their boots had broken out. Real old boots. Another was when I was working the ski swap and a mother was trying on boots for for her daughter. Thanks for the replies will post a pic later with orthotics beside the superfeet.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Got orthotics for my boots. They are Lange RX100 LV boots. Trouble is they are thicker than the old green super feet or the set of cork ones made for me at a ski shop years ago. Due to a foot tendon issue that is part of the answer. Figures finally get the perfectish fit and now they are abit to tight. Guess there is not much chance of everything breaking in is there? Spend alot of time in these boots as I patrol and we have a longer day than most skiers. Guess new boots right! Just hate getting new boots. New skis are fun but boots well thats another story. Anybody recommend a simular boot, maybe higher volume if the same boot if its available. Going to see a boot fitter when the shops are going again in October.
Ugh, I hate it when the density of new footbeds changes how the boots fit.
Assuming that the footbed is correct for you and made for use in ski boots, (not all orthotics are made to use in ski boots) Maybe you can start by wearing knee high nylons instead of socks for a while, until you get through the break in process.
If you have pressure on your instep, there are other things that can be done. Is that your issue?

*I've seen new orthotics for customers that weren't trimmed down properly, which buckle inside the boot and create painful hot spots.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I had a old set of footbeds made at a ski shop and used them till they wore out.Then came the superfeet. liked them but not quite the right support. These are a perscribed orthotics. They are supposed to be for ski boots. Have put them in my regular shoes hoping to break them in abit. They look as thin as the superfeet but a bit more arch support.Isn'tthat where the low volume part is the top of the foot???Think I will take them back to the orthotics place and see what they can do.I like a good performance fit on the boot ,. But don't want cold or hurting feet. The tendon thing progressed during the season but I held off till seasons end because I wanted to ski.Need to have boots bumped slightly in the spot know anyway.Yes the footbeds were removed before the new ones were put in. Not a dumb question because I would sure have felt dumb if they were in and nobody had told me.See a lot of strange things on the ski hill. One of my favorites is where somebody came in and the whole front of their boots had broken out. Real old boots. Another was when I was working the ski swap and a mother was trying on boots for for her daughter. Thanks for the replies will post a pic later with orthotics beside the superfeet.
If they fit in your shoes, then they will not fit in your boots. It sounds like your Orthopedist does not realize the limited environment that is in a ski boot. The saying "A millimeter is a mile" did not come from nowhere.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I have had one experience with orthotics built by a podiatrist, with all of the certifications, who also happened to have been a very devoted beer league ski racer. I was referred to the guy as he was really eager to show his trade to the program that my sone was in.

My son was no stranger to having a lot of boot fitting and plenty of footbeds made. He was about 16 at the time in a Matte Black Doberman. This was 15 years ago. The process took a lot of time. The footbeds just never worked. They were too rigid, took up FAR too much volume in the boot, and all in all just did not work. Basically on the shelf or in the closet after a day of training. Actually after about three runs. Back to the old footbed.

He and I, in particular have tried almost every footbed out there over the years, and we've gone more basic as time has gone on. He uses a very basic BD off the shelf footbed, and a basic off the shelf Superfeet in his AT setup. He's a coach, and has a coaching boot. He still free skis in a plug, and he has some alpine biased AT boots.

I use a ALINE off the shelf footbed, and incidentally a similar one in sneakers, hiking boots, etc. I use them in two pairs of ski boots.

Over the years, we literally have had pretty much everything. Custom foam, cork, semi rigid, etc. ALL built buy good boot fitters.

I have a HUGE bias to have boot fitters build footbeds for ski boots. That simple. Built for your foot, and your physiology to work in your boots. May seem overly simple.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider

The lab should be able to thin down the materials of the device to allow it to be accommodated in your boot, if they can't then they should remake the device in a thinner material fro you, especially as they are supposed to be fro ski boot!! What i find is most labs do not have a clue of what will fit in a ski boot and normally the products are too wide in the mid foot so they can't sit flat in the boot..... the superfeet Kirk was a pretty bulky insert, the green isn't skinny fit either, so my first thoughts would be they have made you a monster device.... good luck getting them to sort it

TS
kayco53

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Well got my orthotics fixed up. went to my go to boot fitter and he bumped a small spot on the boot to fix a tendon issue and told me what to tell the orthodics place.
went there and they ground the sole of the orthodics thinner and now they feel like they will work. Turns out they do not make many ski foot beds but medical covers it there. Thanks for info.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, most orthotics are designed for walking and running (heel strike motion) whereas with ski boot footbeds your feet are remaining level to the plane but you need the fore-aft support. All that on top of the thickness differences.

Sponsor