• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

GoPro mounting

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
I had a blast playing around with my GoPro 3+ silver at PC several weeks back, and will be hauling it up there in another couple of weeks for our return trip. I'm using a stick-on mount attached to my Bolle helmet, but the location point on that helmet are somewhat limited due to the contours and vents.

Here's a sample:

This is set at 960, you can see the ski tips and get a pretty good scenic view as well. I'm thinking about trying their chest mount, but what really got me wondering was the concept of mounting the camera on a ski. There's probably hellacious vibration not seen since my days of working in a small aerospace company with a "shaker table", but that might be correctable. I've also done some rearward facing video of people following me which also turned out really cool...

Ideas? :huh:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Mounting on the ski can work, but it's really hard to keep it attached. Just sticking on a standard mount won't cut it. At the very least you will need to get some heavy-duty glue and clamp it on there for a while. Here is a video I made last year with some alternate mounts. I used Kneecam2.0 which is a slalom shinguard that I glued a mount onto.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
cbk always set to wide, or the aspect ratio for watching on a screen will always be wrong.

TS
Carl Kuck

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Mounting on the ski can work, but it's really hard to keep it attached. Just sticking on a standard mount won't cut it. At the very least you will need to get some heavy-duty glue and clamp it on there for a while. Here is a video I made last year with some alternate mounts. I used Kneecam2.0 which is a slalom shinguard that I glued a mount onto.

Suh-weeeeeeeeeeeeet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumb::yahoo:

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Gorilla glue a mount to a ski. Use the widest setting possible. Shoot at the highest frame rate you can (with the 3 I'd suggest 1080/60). All of that will help isolate vibrations. Chesty is cool too but it makes you look like you're the backseat. wrist mount looking back at you is cool too.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Any consideration of damage and injuries caused by a fall being worse due to camera mounting? Chest seems like a broken sternum could happen. Helmet mount could compromise the integrity of the helmet right?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
You could slip in the shower too.

Dory - are you sure higher frame rate helps? I'm not sure it does. I think that the "shutter speed" stays the same regardless and rolling shutter is just as bad regardless of frame rate.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a strap that I was going to try at the boot top. I have the chesty mount and prefer it to the helmet.

Yeah, I prefer the chesty as well. I have experimented with attaching it to my boot and pole also.

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a blast playing around with my GoPro 3+ silver at PC several weeks back, and will be hauling it up there in another couple of weeks for our return trip. I'm using a stick-on mount attached to my Bolle helmet, but the location point on that helmet are somewhat limited due to the contours and vents.

Here's a sample:

This is set at 960, you can see the ski tips and get a pretty good scenic view as well. I'm thinking about trying their chest mount, but what really got me wondering was the concept of mounting the camera on a ski. There's probably hellacious vibration not seen since my days of working in a small aerospace company with a "shaker table", but that might be correctable. I've also done some rearward facing video of people following me which also turned out really cool...

Ideas? :huh:

Are you skiing the head rally?

TS
Carl Kuck

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
Any consideration of damage and injuries caused by a fall being worse due to camera mounting? Chest seems like a broken sternum could happen. Helmet mount could compromise the integrity of the helmet right?

As it's stuck to the outside, nothing penetrating the helmet's shell (no screws, bolts, etc), I'm not really sure how much if any difference that might make. But no, I'm not going to be a test dummy and crash into something to find out either.

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
As it's stuck to the outside, nothing penetrating the helmet's shell (no screws, bolts, etc), I'm not really sure how much if any difference that might make. But no, I'm not going to be a test dummy and crash into something to find out either.

I agree, I don't think a GoPro would affect the integrity of a helmet. If anything it would just snap off in a crash.

The chesty is another story. I have one and have thought I would hate to crash and ram that thing into my chest.

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Back home in the Midwest I experimented with various GoPro Mounting locations - boot mounted (both forward and rear facing, pole mounted, chest).

Go Pro Mounting.jpg

These green plastic covered metal twist ties are how I firmly snugged up the camera when on the boot or pole - purchased them at Super Target.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I have read if you want to put a GoPro mount on a ski you need to use marine grade epoxy.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
Yep! Brought up the Jet Fuels and my Mantras, and aside from skiing the Jet Fuels one morning for a comparison test I just couldn't get myself off the Rallys as I was having way too much fun!!!
I was about to ask the same thing. I bought a pair near end of last season and only have three days on them. All the more anxious to get started on 16/17 to get some more reps on them.

Now I need to choose which GoPro. I think I would try chest mount, personally. I've seen videos of hemet vs chest mount and thought chest mount video was better. Might give boot mounting a try as well. Would not to want to glue that onto my new skis. Maybe if I had a pair of old used skis I would go ahead with that.

Last edited: