• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Technique Good places to start - bc skills and tips

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Those were nice! I have an AT setup as well as backcountry gear. I'm a bit reticent, however, to venture outside the boundaries of the ski area. I haven't taken an avi course, but have done enough backcountry skiing to be hesitant to go on my own without a guide. I'm thinking about doing a few spring descents, though, given that there's been time for the snowpack to consolidate. We will have to time descents to miss any thaw that raises the risk of wet slab avalanches. Any suggestions for front range descents?

Mike

TS
pais alto

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
...We will have to time descents to miss any thaw that raises the risk of wet slab avalanches. Any suggestions for front range descents?

We? My suggestion is to find and go with someone that is familiar with bc travel in the area. That's pretty much the only sane suggestion...well, and also take an avy course, then find and go with someone...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Mike King - In Colorado, there are roughly 1 million Avy 1 classes you can take. I took it a few years ago, and plan to take it again because I didn't use it enough - I definitely figure this is a "use it or lose it" situation.

For women, the SAFE AS course is a one-day discussion of avy safety. I took it within a couple of weeks of the Avy 1, and they reinforced each other nicely.

REI also has some free classes, although those tend to focus on how to use your beacon. Which is not a bad thing.

I have no business giving advice in a backcountry thread, and yet - one thing I would like to suggest is playing "hide the beacons." You can do it just about anywhere, and you can do it over the summer to keep your skills up. Many ski resorts have beacon parks to let you work on your skills, too.

Tico

Putting on skis
Skier
If there's enough pugski interest, I could run a custom AIARE 1 course for you all.

Note that starting this coming winter there's a professional/recreational split occurring in avalanche education; the idea is that avalanche professionals (guides, patrollers, etc) should be tested to a standard, but the recreational public doesn't need to be and may be intimidated by higher education (hundreds of L1's every year, few L2's). So expect a few changes, most beneficial to everyone.

Jellybeans1000

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
Some tips
  1. Take an avalanche course
  2. Take a guide or a knowledgeable person, if you don't know the area.
  3. Don't rely on a GPS, batteries often die in the cold. Bring a paper map and compass.
  4. If you are starting off, rent the gear. Earning your turns isn't for everyone.
  5. AT or Splitboarding or Telemarking. Take your pick.
  6. Don't ski alone.
  7. Make friends with those you meet in the huts.
  8. Keep a beacon, shovel and probe at all times.
  9. Don't rely on a mobile phone, coverage may be non existent.
  10. Don't ski in foggy conditions.
  11. Always tell somebody where you are going and when you will come back.
  12. Invest in good clothing and a tent, if you are doing overnight trips.
  13. Stay safe and have fun!

squill

Getting on the lift
Skier
As you advance, trust your gut and be willing to voice concerns to a partner or group. Don't skin with headphones and listen and feel the snow as you ascend. If you don't feel a slope is safe, say so. Even if you're skiing with more experienced partners/guides, there should be no shame involved in addressing potential hazards and risk as the laws of physics do not care about experience or certificates. Bailing doesn't equal defeat. I carry rescue gear in hopes of never needing to use it in a rescue. Your brain and your senses are the first and most important things to bring.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Always go with a "lets go take a look and see" attitude instead of the goal/objective orientated way of thinking. We all have ideas or desires but adaptability is crucial for safety and the mountains don't give a sh*t about you.

Try to cap your group size at around 4 or 5 people. Too many people complicates things.

Read up on human heuristic traps and back country skiing.

It's not a race. You are only as fast as the slowest person in your group. Enjoy the moment.

Bring treats to share with your partners during breaks and transitions.

Pack your back pack methodically for transitions. I've been bc skiing for over 20 years now and I still struggle with this one!

Don't get snow on your skin glue!

Don't put light weight items on windy ridges or on steep slopes without some sort of anchoring. It's a real bummer to have to have to do an extra lap or lose gear. In some situations little mishap can be a catalyst for something very serious.

Wear a hat that keeps the sun off your face while skinning.

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Some resources for bc adventurers -- both beginners and pros:

- The Avalanche Review has archives with great, in depth material available at: http://www.americanavalancheassociation.org/the-avalanche-review/
- The Slide Podcast. A podcast with both narrative elements, and insights from a pro. Great for listening on your way out to adventures: https://soundcloud.com/user-660921194 . Consider also supporting him with a small monthly donation via Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/avalanchepodcast

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
If there's enough pugski interest, I could run a custom AIARE 1 course for you all.

Note that starting this coming winter there's a professional/recreational split occurring in avalanche education; the idea is that avalanche professionals (guides, patrollers, etc) should be tested to a standard, but the recreational public doesn't need to be and may be intimidated by higher education (hundreds of L1's every year, few L2's). So expect a few changes, most beneficial to everyone.

My understanding is that there will be a recreational-oriented class on "Rescue" as well? If so, and there is interest from other PugSkiers I'd be game.

Tico

Putting on skis
Skier
Yes, there's a one-day rescue course now as well, which is good since it gives enough time to go through some more realistic training and scenarios.

MaCC

Booting up
Skier
Consider buying Bruce Tremper's book "Staying Alive in Avalanche Country" , which is a great precursor to even attending an Avi I course.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is intuitive for guys, so more a tip for the ladies: Keep your skis on when you pee. :D

On the lack of AAIRE 1 training, keep in mind that a lot of people don't want to travel with others who haven't done any training. God forbid something terrible happened and the one person who knows anything is the one who is incapacitated. Same goes for WFA training for a lot of folks.

Sponsor