• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Good news, I'm only mostly dead...

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier
icon_cry.gif
After a visit to a team of REDO ortho surgeons in Saratoga the past two days and a battery of tests the Total Hip Replacement done 16 months ago has loosened uo in the femoral portion of the device . I have been in excruciating pain the past 5 days . For the past 16 months this has gotten progressively worse , first thay. Though a tendon was impinged , then they thought it was a nerve issue and after 2 nerve blocks and one libe shot no change .then it was thought to be a muscle. Issue . I did NOTHING to cause the loosening . No falls , no jumping , nothing

PROBLEM was diagnosed that the femoral part of the unit was TOO short . This was a judgement call during initial surgery basd on evaluations BUT being too short in did not angulate properly in the femoral bone cavity and moved causing additional bone growth at the top of the head of the unit causing mondo pain .

So the redo team has seen this many times , it is a team of 10 orthos , one of which is a former teammate of my son . They did a battery of test yestrday and today in Saratoga , iam now home 200 miles north and will have a bone density test then return for a final data analysis of all the tests and the talk about scheduling of a new surgery to replace the femoral unit . He will creat a small window on. The site and go in

so by the time this all heals ip and rehab is completed i will be 75 and have missed 2 1/2 seasons so returning to this even if a highly sucessful rehab will be a major lift . Golf will also be out probably this summer till this heals

so its been a good run , i am thankful for the past 40 plus yrs of sliding sports and will still hang out here to enjoy everyones experiences and of course to bust your chops,on occasion

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Good luck and good healing. Hope you make it back to snow next season.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Oh, my. I am so sorry to read that you're going through all of this.

You have a lot of work ahead of you. I know you are resigning yourself to being done with skiing, but you never know. You get through the rehab and Winter arrives, you might get the itch to try it again.

No matter your final decision with respect to skiing, I do wish you the very best as you head into surgery. Please keep us posted on your recovery and your progress.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There are others here that can relate some. @Rudi Riet has been through something similar recently, not the same, but these things are all unique and uniquely challenging. Hey, I guess you'll be spending more time playing guitar right? Post up some of your tunes in the music threads..

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Oh, bummer, man. Really sorry to hear that.

Just be done with it. Give it up for good.

(Then see what happens. You never know.)

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That sounds like a nightmare. *hug*

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Terrifying story - especially for my new hip. Best wishes for a good recovery. Look long-term as statistically you still have a couple decades left. There's plenty of fun to be enjoyed.

Eric

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Best wishes for a full recovery that'll bring you back to the snow; but if that doesn't happen, there's still plenty more life to enjoy.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Bustin' chops is a pretty good activity during your next rehab.. :D Think positive and let the pros do their thing. Best wishes.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Here is my toast for a good recovery and back to the mountains. :wine:

Why not ! And a hug through the distance. All that snow is not gonna ski itself! You have decades of muscle history. You'll be back in no time.

:hug:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Good luck on the repair and rehab, PT is a wonderful thing stick with it because it works. Who knows maybe after it is better you may want to reevaluate your options.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow, man - no fun!

I've been through a femoral reconstruction in January 2014, which has now gone into avascular necrosis. I'm getting a total hip replacement this April. I'm having close to 2 inches of femoral length added back into my femur, as I've lost about that much length due to shortening during healing and erosion of the femoral head.

I know full well the potential problems, including what you describe, @Warp Daddy. All I can say is: blerg. But you never know whether you'll be back on snow just yet. I hope your revision goes exceedingly well.

TS
Warp Daddy

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier
Wow, man - no fun!

I've been through a femoral reconstruction in January 2014, which has now gone into avascular necrosis. I'm getting a total hip replacement this April. I'm having close to 2 inches of femoral length added back into my femur, as I've lost about that much length due to shortening during healing and erosion of the femoral head.

I know full well the potential problems, including what you describe, @Warp Daddy. All I can say is: blerg. But you never know whether you'll be back on snow just yet. I hope your revision goes exceedingly well.

Rudi : thanks so much for the reply ,it is uplifting .Your journey is compelling and you KNOW i empathesize man ! What will motivate me is the HOPE that i can return to it , but i am mentally adjusting to the possibility that it may not happen. But your strength and courage and drive are just what i needed to hear from someone who is dealing with similar albeit somewhat different circumstances .

Thanks again

TS
Warp Daddy

Warp Daddy

Getting on the lift
Skier
To one and all : thanks so much for your kind and reassuring comments they are much appreciated. For those that know me , i am a pretty positive old dude who has a variety of interests so i do have that and a wide circle of great friends and a fantastic wife and kids and grandkids around me so as not to let my spirit diminish.

That said, THIS week was a triple gut punch, not only this crap but our Maid od Honor died unexpectedly she went to the hospital in her downstate hometown had been struggling for two years withlow. Body temps . She was gone in two days with a yet undiagnosed situation. And then a neighbor younger than me also passed unexpectedsly , a great golfer , quiet guy , good family man.

So your positive vibes help alot at this point ......and GIL. Im gonna crank out some wicked loud , nastyassed AC DC on my Les Paul today to get myself going .

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oh no Warp!
Please take care of yourself!