• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Foot shape and exercise

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Do consider that your feet may not be swollen in the am, but dehydrated (and thus smaller) in the afternoon.
How much H20 or equivalent do you drink during a ski day?

I realize this was a serious question but it struck me as funny. Kind of like an old Steven Wright comedy line...

Some people are afraid of heights..............
I'm afraid of widths.

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do consider that your feet may not be swollen in the am, but dehydrated (and thus smaller) in the afternoon.
How much H20 or equivalent do you drink during a ski day?

Yes, prior to this year I wore a hydration pack and drank maybe a half liter every two hours. This year, I abandoned the pack and drink quite a bit at lunch. Yes, I'm conscious of hydration. My feet hurt throughout this particular day. The afternoon wasn't any better, and in some ways worse. My feet were already bruised, but I tried to push it and did some steep bumps. I never felt like I could close my ankles and was in the backseat way too much. Killed my quads quick. Haven't killed my quads in a couple-three years. Fortunately, came away from the day injury free.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Wow... Sounds like you need a fresh assessment from the ground up.

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow... Sounds like you need a fresh assessment from the ground up.
Baby steps, @markoj , baby steps. I'll take care of the low hanging fruit first (boots remolded), and do a little experimentation to rule out a few variables/suspects. Skills don't disappear w/o cause, and I didn't suffer head trauma nor have a stroke.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I have RA and am prone to swelling so my feet can vary about 20% in volume through the day. What I do is use the highest compression medical socks on the drive in to reduce my foot to the smallest possible size, then either ski in lighter compression or regular ski socks based on how swollen I've been running.

Getting the foot down to the smallest volume before skiing has worked well for me. You're probably not as severe but you could try a pair of medical grade compression socks as an experiment.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Baby steps, @markoj , baby steps. I'll take care of the low hanging fruit first (boots remolded), and do a little experimentation to rule out a few variables/suspects. Skills don't disappear w/o cause, and I didn't suffer head trauma nor have a stroke.

You forgot the :rolleyes: emoticon. You've miss interpreted what I said. I didn't suggest new boots, but a re-evaluation of what you have. Clearly something is not working. You can't flex your ankle, you have bruising, swelling, etc... If I were your fitter or coach, I'd want to pull everything apart, evaluate, and go forward from there. FWIW, I ask everyone that I fit to contact us immediately if they have any boot issues going forward. Boot fitting is about a relationship as much as it's about plastic and foam.

Last edited: