• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Floski. Leg Pull or Real Deal?

Marty McSly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Someone on another forum sent me a link to floskis.com. Is it for real or a piss-take? Should I send them back a link to the knee binding site?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sadly, the former and not the latter. It has been around for ever, we see him at A-Basin almost every year and to quote some of my favorite Mid Westerners..."Bless his heart for trying".

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
I have tested one model of the FloSki for several weeks...talked to the designer a bunch....I felt the ski was not quite ready for a published review until some behaviors were changed....maybe we can get a latest-and-greatest version for this season's reviews... Adrian has revised his designs since we tried a pair.

It features a heavily-weighted shovel (small metal ball-bearing-like BBs in a fluid-filled container attached to the tip) and tight radius to create a turn essentially pivoting around the shovel...(an interesting and effective feeling for steering through bump throughs, but with some drawbacks in other conditions).

The rockering binding frame is similar to the concept used by the Anton Dynamics (Anton Wilson) skis, but less sophisticated, less expensive and less adjustable.

They are definitely worth a demo if you can meet up with Adrian Floreani (inventor) near Vail. Some pics below of the version I tried....

DSC02309_1024.jpg

DSC02304_1024.jpg

DSC01777_1024.jpg

DSC01899.JPG

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
He was at Mammoth the other day, the last of my trip, so I did not have a chance to demo, but I did shoot video.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Already been there done that.. Salamon Scream 10 Pilots. I had a pair I put probably 30 days on, which is a lot for me. They were OK, and yes, smooth at speed.. until you really PUSH them then they collapsed like a noodle.

Here is a profile shot of the more radical ones. Mine were just the full floating plate mounted under the ball of foot.

salomon-pivot.jpg

bmlvail

Booting up
Industry Insider
Sadly, the former and not the latter. It has been around for ever, we see him at A-Basin almost every year and to quote some of my favorite Mid Westerners..."Bless his heart for trying".

Sadly- take a look at this video from what seems like a drunken Fuchsberger. If the skis make you ski like that then, well.... ."Bless his heart for trying".

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Sadly- take a look at this video from what seems like a drunken Fuchsberger. If the skis make you ski like that then, well.... ."Bless his heart for trying".

Not drunk but not his usual exuberant self, either. :huh:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
These were in the shop last night for a tune. The Scout couldn't figure out their profile and refused to operate on them so we did them by hand. They appear to be these:
160 FULL ROCKER SOLID BAMBOO

IMG_20181120_233542859.jpg

IMG_20181120_233602695.jpg

These are mounted for Moguls. By using the Binding Freedom inserts you could change from All Mountain to Moguls to Powder and Deep Powder.

IMG_20181120_233629068.jpg

These have an intriguing profile. That is a rubber bumper at the tail end of the binding system.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Weird looking skis. Any guesses as to what they are supposed to provide that's beneficial?
From the site (https://floskis.com/):

Constructed with the industry's first one piece solid bamboo core and sidewall with a carbon fiber bottom layer. This construction maximizes pop with no flop. Petex 4000 base provides durability with the fastest known world cup structure. Each purchase comes with a FloSkis Carrying Handle. Ski bindings included. FloShocks System and mounting is optional based on how aggressive of a skier you are. It is recommended for skiers who like steeps and speed.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Weird looking skis. Any guesses as to what they are supposed to provide that's beneficial?

The original Floski was designed to eliminate the Phantom Foot syndrome by eliminating the section of ski behind the binding. The current model that @Doug Briggs links to has a considerably extended tail section from what the ones I had, but most of the extension is in the upswept area.

I retired my pair because they simply could not be ground enough to make them flat anymore. Kept the binding plates tho.

Sponsor

Staff online