• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Flooded Boots ~ spray?

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I know ski boots are made to get wet but we just had a flood and I literally poured water out of them, they are completely saturated. I've pulled the liners and footbeds and have them set to air dry but do you think I have to do anything more to prevent mildew? Should I just hit them with Lysol after they dry out? The spongier parts of the liner are really soaked. Thanks

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I know ski boots are made to get wet but we just had a flood and I literally poured water out of them, they are completely saturated. I've pulled the liners and footbeds and have them set to air dry but do you think I have to do anything more to prevent mildew? Should I just hit them with Lysol after they dry out? The spongier parts of the liner are really soaked. Thanks
I guess it depends how polluted the flood water was or if it was salt water or fresh water. You may be better served if you rinse with clean water and get forced warm air into them because air drying may be too slow.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I usually "wash" my liners at the end of the season. So some mild soap in a basin of water. Swish them around, rinse well and place outside in the sunshine. I would do the same to some extent with the shell. Just to be sure they are clean.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Free oxygen is a remarkably good anti-mildew agent; whether you wash them, rinse them out or whatever, you want to circulate as much dry air through them as you possibly can. This basically means forced air circulation - passive circulation won't cut it unless your detergent is very fungicidal or the weather is exceptionally dry or both.

Any fan- driven dryer, any chimney type dryer will do it - or you can use @Bob Barnes ' old trick of an aquarium airpump with hoses.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Free oxygen is a remarkably good anti-mildew agent; whether you wash them, rinse them out or whatever, you want to circulate as much dry air through them as you possibly can. This basically means forced air circulation - passive circulation won't cut it unless your detergent is very fungicidal or the weather is exceptionally dry or both.

Any fan- driven dryer, any chimney type dryer will do it - or you can use @Bob Barnes ' old trick of an aquarium airpump with hoses.
I think their is a thread on home made boot dryers here if you search for it you may get some good ideas.

Jed Peters

World's Most "Okayest" Skier
Skier
My boots after a warm day of spring skiing resemble something of a flood type situation.

Take the liners out and dry 'em. You'll be fine.

Sponsor

Staff online