• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

FIS Pulls Aspen from World Cup Calendar Until Technical Aspects Are Addressed

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
"Anchor-lift" is a direct translation, ankarlift in Swedish. Most people don't know it's called a T-bar in English. Nothing better than a high speed T-bar with several jump off points.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Re Mittersill - don't the FIS tend to like "name brand" resorts -Aspen, Squaw even Killington make sense . Cannon?

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Re Mittersill - don't the FIS tend to like "name brand" resorts -Aspen, Squaw even Killington make sense . Cannon?

Yes. They do.

Cannon hosted a WC back in the 60's. Came away with a JCK autograph. That was in the infancy of the WC. The infrastructure "needs" are very considerable. In terms of all of them, it would take a lot of work, and huge expense.

I tend to view it as a tremendous training venue, and I think we'll see races up to the NorAm level there. There is nothing in common between a WC and a NorAm other than a handful of the skiers!

Sugarloaf hosts the US Nationals this week. The USSA loves it as an Eastern venue for this late season event. In the early 70's Sugarloaf hosted a WC DH, on very short notice. A lot of the old guard at SL at times gets nostalgic and wonders what it would take to host a WC. And then realize it would be a lot easier to actually do the work that GET the race awarded.

Carrabassett Valley, ME is remote. Franconia is "better", but I think it would be a tough sell...regardless of the hill and on snow pluses.
Just my hunch.

Aspen may have that snob factor for some. I would bet the farm that FIS wants this worked out. A lot of pluses.

James

Out There
Instructor
JC Killy won at Canon 50 yrs ago in 1967. (I guess back then they went by town so it's listed as Franconia, NH and not Canon).So maybe the time is right to start turning it around. One thing Killington last November did was show what an appetite for wcup racing there is in the East. Now if it becomes a regular thing would that go down or up? Hard to say but there are a lot of kids racing in the East

How does the trail at Mittersill compare to say Main st at Sprice Peak at Stowe. Wasn't there talk of getting a woman's wcup there? I can't remember the trail bit some college racers I talked with were impressed with it. I've also heard the coaches would rebuff the Masters racers entreaties to race on it.(With private disdain). Mainly because they figured it would be carnage.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
How does the trail at Mittersill compare to say Main st at Sprice Peak at Stowe. Wasn't there talk of getting a woman's wcup there? I can't remember the trail bit some college racers I talked with were impressed with it. I've also heard the coaches would rebuff the Masters racers entreaties to race on it.(With private disdain). Mainly because they figured it would be carnage.

It's different, but I think it's a better trail than Main Street. Main Street pitches and rolls constantly, but it doesn't have a ton of bite to it compared to Baron's. On Main Street, there are many places where you can screw up, but also many places where you can make up time. Baron's doesn't have that luxury: you need to attack it the whole way down, and the dogleg into the final flat pulls no punches. If you mess up on that transition, your time will take a big hit.

Don't get me wrong: I really like Main Street, but as an elite racing trail I find Baron's to be more akin to the challenges seen in the classic race trails of the Alps.

Just my $0.02...

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Sounds official....

Killington to host the November tech races for at least the next two years. Congratulations.

Assuming the organizing committee does a great job {they will}, and they draw big crowds {they will}, it might be very hard to get Aspen back on the calendar.

Keep in mind that this was an unusual year, with WCF in the USA. Normally the WC is only in North America in the early season.

Very pleased for Killington!

Last edited:

Don Duran

Instructor / trainer / coach
Skier
I worked that race years ago and even back then the lift and building were relics. How the Crowns move forward will be interesting. The tour certainly brings money into town but with all their recent resort acquisitions upgrading that west end may not be a high priority.

Sponsor

Staff online